Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 07-18-2004, 20:07   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Pandora
Excellent.

I have seen some chefs dampen the knife blade before sharpening. Is this the correct way to do it - i.e. wet the blade before sharpening?

And what do you do with serrated edged knives? I just keep replacing them.
If I were using an Arkansas stone, I would wet the stone (or oil it, depending on the stone), not the knife.

Mr. Harsey and Reeve taught me a trick by just taking a few passes on the back side of the serrations with the DMT stone. That brought the edge back. I had been sharpening the serrations individually with a round DMT sharpener.

Maybe I was raised wrong, but I try not to throw knives away when they get dull. My Dad taught me to sharpen them, and I have learned a bit on my own.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 20:08   #17
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Ambush Master
Got it wrong there TS !! That is a "COMBAT CHEF'S Knife" !! Note the hole in the tang !!! I''ll take one also, if it's engraved as 2004 !!!!

Later
M
LMAO
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 20:12   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Ambush Master
Got it wrong there TS !! That is a "COMBAT CHEF'S Knife" !! Note the hole in the tang !!! I''ll take one also, if it's engraved as 2004 !!!!

Later
M
I was going to let the thong hole issue pass, as well as the custom Harsey Special sheath.

Sorry, but the 2004 model is sold out. I think the 2005 models are still available though. I could probably come up with a pic, if you give me a day or two.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0071b.jpg (24.2 KB, 142 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 07-18-2004, 20:32   #19
Pandora
Hornet Nest Poker

Thanks for the advice.

I'd sure like a Harsey Comabt Chef's Chopper-Dropper, too! Normally mild-mannered, I do get a might cranky when others stray the worng side of the kitchen counters when I'm cooking. Maybe they'll get better cross-grain sliced treats and a scare?

Everyone loves Raymond is not a parody of my life... it is my life.
Signed, Deborah.
Pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 21:14   #20
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetbriar
Great question! I went out and bought new knives because I don't have a sharp one and I didn't know where to go to have someone do it. The new knife set comes with a sharpening steel, but the pictures are....unhelpful. If someone here can't instruct us in the proper way then the world has, in fact, ended!
The world isn't going to end. I'm here.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 21:22   #21
Bill Harsey

I'll figure out how to answer these questions tommorrow, just returned from long trip. We can sharpen the knives- everyone will do good after we go thru this. As the saying goes, "it aint rocket science".
Old 07-19-2004, 03:01   #22
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Try Fiskars knives from Finland. I've had mine for as long as I can remember, and have had to sharpen them rarely and with minimal effort.
They also make damn nice (but not classical) axes.

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 14:28   #23
Razor
Quiet Professional

Not to steal Mr. Harsey's thunder, but for those that do their own sharpening, what angle to you use on your kitchen knives? I admit that I cheat and simply use a 20deg angle as the Spyderco Sharpmaker is set up for that angle. Of course, this is for relatively thin blades, not for a 1/4" thick cleaver; I use a pretty extreme angle on my thin Henckel paring knives. The edge doesn't last as long, but boy does it julienne well.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 16:17   #24
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
Not to steal Mr. Harsey's thunder, but for those that do their own sharpening, what angle to you use on your kitchen knives? I admit that I cheat and simply use a 20deg angle as the Spyderco Sharpmaker is set up for that angle. Of course, this is for relatively thin blades, not for a 1/4" thick cleaver; I use a pretty extreme angle on my thin Henckel paring knives. The edge doesn't last as long, but boy does it julienne well.
No theft of thunder possible here at all. Good observation about being able to sharpen thin blades easier, much less steel to remove. I'd stay away from the powered knife grinder/sharpeners. Like I think Reaper said, they take away too much steel every time it's used and all to soon the blade is ground up in the thicker part and the knife doesn't cut as well. I'll check back in here soon on how I sharpen, too many irons in the fire right now. Bill
Old 07-19-2004, 16:28   #25
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
I'll check back in here soon on how I sharpen, too many irons in the fire right now. Bill
Probably either backdating knives, or making a letter bomb to send me.

Either way, sounds like fun!

TR

Old 07-19-2004, 18:37   #26
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Probably either backdating knives, or making a letter bomb to send me.

Either way, sounds like fun!

TR
I'm not backdating any knives.
Old 07-19-2004, 18:51   #27
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
I'm not backdating any knives.
Are you using a 14,000 rpm carbide engraver for whatever you are doing?

TR

Old 07-19-2004, 18:55   #28
Bill Harsey

Not needed.
Old 07-19-2004, 20:09   #29
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

TR,
Don't open any new packages.

Ever heard of UniBill?

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 20:17   #30
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
TR,
Don't open any new packages.

Ever heard of UniBill?

TS
No worries.

I started to ask him if he needed any small parts I might have lying around.

I still have an edge, and some insurance.

If he takes a shot, it better be perfect.

TR