Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 05-26-2008, 09:14   #16
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP5IC View Post
Praise Jesus, it's like drinking liquid smoke. At $80.00 a bottle (duty free), I wasn't quite ready for this very peaty experience. good stuff.

My wife likes the peaty, smoky, mineral, medicinal tasting ones (primarily Islays), also. I don't get past the nose on the "smelly old socks", the lighter ones are a better fit for me.

It is also interesting to taste it "neat", and then add a few drops of water.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:25   #17
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
Why would you dilute a good single malt with ice? It's already 99.98% water. Just put the bottle in the fridge or freezer, but don't water the flavor down.
I am not a scotch drinker, but I have been to multiple scotch tastings at which the "experts" said that a little water actually enhances the flavor in much the same way as decanting improves red wine. Just what they said . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:26   #18
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Hey Terry --

When's the party?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:36   #19
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
Hey Terry --

When's the party?

We are finishing up the addition at the farm, should be through in three weeks or so. The "whole house" generator can't be lifted in til the ground dries up. Then the area will have to be graded, seeded, land-scaped, etc.

But, anytime you can fly in to The Eastern Iowa Airport, we can get together. If we are in town, of course. It is beautiful out there!

I have tried to upload the addition plans so you guys could see what an Iowa farm looks like, but no joy as of yet.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:57   #20
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
I am not a scotch drinker, but I have been to multiple scotch tastings at which the "experts" said that a little water actually enhances the flavor in much the same way as decanting improves red wine. Just what they said . . .

That's generally true, but everyone has a different palate. The "Cask Strength" offerings lend themselves more to a few drops of water, the subtle nuances really jump out at you.

Decanting red wine is something we do all the time, it removes the sediment which can give you a bit of a head ache, and allows it to breathe basically oxygenate itself. The wine then opens up, you can actually taste the difference over a meal with two or three wines in front of you, and can sense when they open up.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:22   #21
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Ice in Scotch!!! It chips the teeth man!!!

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 13:51   #22
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Ice in Scotch!!! It chips the teeth man!!!

R:

When you come to visit, we won't put ice in your Scotch!
Old 05-26-2008, 14:47   #23
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
I prefer Taliskers...I have a bottle of Balvenie...Macallan is fine...

I do not drink blends...unless someone else buys it...
Talisker is peaty and I like it.

Jonnie Walker Green has a higher percentage of that in the blend...so I like that too.
Old 05-26-2008, 20:51   #24
Dan
Administrators

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Yup!

I just ordered 9 bottles form the SCOTCH MALT WHISKEY SOCIETY. If you like single malts, they have an excellent selection.
I like single malt; Do you mean the American Society or the International Society and have a web site link?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 21:09   #25
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I like single malt; Do you mean the American Society or the International Society and have a web site link?

Here you go, Brother.

www.smwsa.com
Old 08-12-2008, 13:37   #26
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Here you go, Brother.

www.smwsa.com
Great Site.......I'm going to join asap.

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 20:26   #27
AngelsSix
Area Commander

The Balvenie

AHHH, this is good stuff!! We had some of their 21 year old Portwood and it was YUMMY!!

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:38   #28
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

While working with the Brits in Afg, had the opportnity to ask one of the Scots what they drink...he didnk't hesitate:

"HIGHLAND PARK, cut 50/50 with water, served at room temperature."

It didn't disappoint. Pure Jet Fuel...and a clean burn.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:46   #29
zauber1
Auxiliary

Laphroaig

At the end of Desert Storm there were 7 NCOs that celebrated the end of the ground conflict with me at Ft Sill with a bottle of Laphroaig purchased at the Class VI store. At the time, it was only $24.00. The taste of Laphroaig takes me back to that moment to this day.

It is what I am sipping now. I tried about an ounce of ice water with it and it DOES bring out the flavor. I felt guilty though...kind of like putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:54   #30
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Since I started this thread, I have realized that I prefer Speyside whiskys to other more "intense" malts. One of my best friends is an Islay man, and I can appreciate his tastes, if not fully enjoy them. I have found that pretty much anything Macallan puts their name on is good stuff, along with Dalwhinnie. There are also some smaller companies who have some bottles that I enjoy such as "Mark John and Robbo's Malt Scotch whisky company's" offerings. Their "smooth sweet one" is nice with some water or Soda, and their "smoky, peaty one" is not bad with an ice cube or two.

Terry, your damned Scotch whisky society still won't have me as a member, so I'll have to wait for a year or so to see how the other half live

Good times,
Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote