Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 05-24-2007, 21:23   #16
7624U
Quiet Professional

You could always make it a challange just bring a spice rack and the fishing poles and nothing else. Catch something or you dont eat bet that would fly for about 1 day.
I tryed that with my wife once and she said hell no...
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 21:26   #17
BoyScout
Guerrilla

Try original or peppered venison/beef jerky spread with or dipped into peanut butter. I tried it while North of Durango Co. backpacking. Trust me, it tastes better that it sounds. It's easy, lightweight, no cooking involved though.
BoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 21:53   #18
trailrunner
Asset

Big Props on the mini fruit pie press/bakers! Two slices well buttered bread, fruit filing, mash together in the press and cook over the fire... When I was a kid this was the Best!

Sausage burgers - in an iron skillet, fry sausage patties up the size of hamburgers, fry eggs, add cheese and top with your favorites.

Easy Peach Cobbler - Works quick at home, adj to suit for camping.

1/2 stick margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1 can of sliced peaches

Melt margarine in 4x8x1 1/2 bake dish
Mix Sugar, milk, flour and add melted margarine.
Add peaches
Mix well
Pour into baking dish, which has a healthy dose of the melted margarine.
Bake at 225 for 25-30 min. or until brown.
serves about 6-8

Good luck!

Have Fun!
”Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." --Calvin Coolidge
trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:41   #19
LibraryLady
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U
You could always make it a challange just bring a spice rack and the fishing poles and nothing else. Catch something or you dont eat bet that would fly for about 1 day.
I tryed that with my wife once and she said hell no...
My EX-husband didn't like me very much when I packed that way to go camping.

Well, ok, I did pack some lemons and onions too.

LL
Old 05-25-2007, 10:13   #20
Air.177
Quiet Professional

One that I've always liked for day hikes and such:

Salami wraps

Flour tortillas
Butter/Margarine
Salami/dried sausage of your choice
Salt/Pepper/Hot Sauce of your choice

Spread Butter/Margarine on tortillas, place a few slices of Salami on top of Butter, season with your favorite seasonings, Roll up and wrap in Saran Wrap. These can be carried pretty easily with no real need for refrigeration and are a great snack for quick stops along the trail, plenty filling.

Variation:
add cheese of your choice to the roll, or try some Pickapeppa Sauce instead of Tabasco etc.

Good times,
Blake

Last edited by Air.177; 05-25-2007 at 11:01.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:35   #21
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Taco bags, if you are going to have access to a cooler.

Take the usual taco ingredients, minus the shell.

Buy the individual bags of Nacho Doritos.

Let the kids open the bags and smash the chips to bits.

The put the seasoned meat, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa in the bag with the chips, as desired.

Eat with a fork, throw away the bags and forks, easy cleanup.

Kids love them.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 15:25   #22
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Well, I guess I am the only wimpy wiener who ever went camping with the Girls Scouts!

KICK THE CAN ICE CREAM

What you will need
3/4 cup milk
1 cup cream
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Flavoring (chocolate, raspberry, you choose!)
Empty 1 pound and 3 pound coffee can with lids
Crushed ice
3/4 cup salt
Masking tape

Instructions
1. In the small can, mix the milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, and flavoring.
2. Place lid on can and tape it shut.
3. Put the small can inside the large can.
4. Pack the crushed ice around the edges of the small can.
5. Sprinkle the salt over the ice.
6. Put the lid on the large can and tape it shut.
7. Roll the can back and forth with a friend for 10-15 minutes. Use your feet, NOT your hands!

You will need a can for every two or three kids.
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:49   #23
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCOM8721
We always liked silver turtles...

Aluminum foil
ground beef - season to liking
sliced carrots
sliced potatoes
onions
bell peppers
salt
pepper

start fire and get a good base of coals

tear sections of foil and have the kids place ground beef ( we usually just made a patty) on the foil then carrots, potatoes, peppers and what ever else to your liking. Salt and Pepper.

Then Fold up the foil around your "meat and potatoes". I double wrap mine.

Place the silver turtle in the fire on the coals (or for the kids on a grate over the fire) should cook 10 to 15 minutes per side.

Remove from fire, open and eat!

They are good, they are easy and they are kid pleasing!
We had a similar recipe we used in scouting and on family trips. We would use a large potato which would be cut open and the potato "meat" scooped out and then blended with all the other ingredients, seasoned and then added back into the skin and wrapped with foil. You can then put it either in the coals or on a rack to cook until done.
Old 05-27-2007, 15:07   #24
echoes
Area Commander

Potato Salad

This always tastes best outdoors!

INGREDIENTS:
Potatoes, cooked until tender, cubed, cooled
Hard bolied eggs, cooled, coarsely chopped
Chopped red onion
Thinly sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper

Dressing:
Mayonnaise
Prepared mustard
salt and pepper to taste
PREPARATION:
Combine potatoes, egg, onions. Stir in mayonnaise, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
(Stir the mayonnaise and mustard in a little at a time, until you have the flavor and consistency you like.)
Top with thinly sliced tomatoes

Enjoy!

Holly

Last edited by echoes; 07-14-2007 at 15:36.
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:48   #25
Shar
Guerrilla

Thanks!

Thanks again for all the great ideas. We had a great time - now the unhappy task of laundry and unpacking...
We made the silver turtles, avocado smash, cobbler and all kinds of other things. I think I'm going to need a few more tries at the cobbler before that's been perfected - it tasted great but the consistency and appearance were not so good. I'm all sure that my dutch oven is pathetically small and may need to be upgraded.
The highlight was hiking with all the kids up to the top of Carr Peak (about 6 miles round trip and 2000 feet of elevation), somewhere along the way we thought we lost the well-traveled trail and managed to start doing a rather vertical climb. None of us were sure how we were going to get the kids down again but when we found the actual trail, the down was much easier to handle. That's what we get for letting the 9 and 13 year old lead the way. My husband got a decent pre-SFAS workout out of it since he had everyone's lunch, most of the water and my 30+ pound 3 year old on his back a good portion of the way. I'm pretty proud of the kids for making it happily and injury-free.
I wish we'd have had time to prep and try some of the other ideas you gave us. We'll just have to go camping again soon - darn! I've posted a few pics of the hike and food so you can laugh at us. I hope everyone else had a great Memorial Day weekend too. You all surely deserve it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0527070956.jpg (95.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 0527071010b.jpg (121.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 0527071012.jpg (119.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg carr009.JPG (240.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg carr007.JPG (256.2 KB, 58 views)
Old 07-14-2007, 08:33   #26
Fiercely Loyal
Guerrilla

You got to love scouting

I learned to cook many things in Boy Scouts but here is my favorite.

Panned Outtie
1 large can of apple pie filling
1 regular white cake mix
1 small box of sugar
1 stick of butter
1 medium Dutch oven
1 bag of charcoal

First get your Dutch over prepared with coals. Once the oven is heated add pie filling. Add cake mix on top of that. Sugar is next. Slice up butter and put lid on.
The pie filling will bubble and turn mixing up the cake mix to make little cake crumbles. This makes a tasty treat in the cold Alaska winter.
Fiercely Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:16   #27
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Campfire cooking methods/accessories

I was thinking since I built my fire pit that I want to build a spit for it, or something else to cook on/with if you all have any ideas. It seems a waste not to cook some critters on it. I was thinking of setting up a spit made of bamboo or maybe steel. I'd also like to put a grate over it to make a big grill of sorts. Which kind of metal would be the safest for this? The pit interior is 3' X 3', 2' deep from the top stones and the sides are roughly 1' wide. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, and if any of you are in the area, maybe we could set up a PS.com cookout? Complete with beer, steamed Blue Crabs smothered in Old Bay seasoning, and raw oysters of course
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fire pit_3.jpg (52.5 KB, 45 views)

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke

Last edited by BryanK; 06-13-2013 at 07:40. Reason: Content
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 17:31   #28
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
I was thinking since I built my fire pit that I want to build a spit for it, or something else to cook on/with if you all have any ideas. It seems a waste not to cook some critters on it. I was thinking of setting up a spit made of bamboo or maybe steel. I'd also like to put a grate over it to make a big grill of sorts. Which kind of metal would be the safest for this? The pit interior is 3' X 3', 2' deep from the top stones and the sides are roughly 1' wide. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, and if any of you are in the area, maybe we could set up a PS.com cookout? Complete with beer, steamed Blue Crabs smothered in Old Bay seasoning, and raw oysters of course
My Dad used to use stretch metal (expanded steel) for the grill.

You could probably form a decent spit out of rebar, but like the stretch metal, you need to really burn the coating off of it and put a nice coat of cooking oil on afterwards.

Nice work, BTW.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:25   #29
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Thanks TR, I appreciate the ideas. Rebar would both be cheap and durable through the climate changes around here, but would require a lot of prep to get it right to cook on. After my post I was brainstorming with some coworkers, and we came up with a tripod type support with a steel leader/line and a giant treble hook hanging from the center to secure critters to. We could hang a dutch oven from it as well. The idea sounds good in theory, but I have to do some shopping around to find the right rig.

Also, while pondering what kind of game we would cook up, we are considering a small pig to roast. Anyone have any advice on that idea? Every pig roast I've been to, the pig was in a smoker/grill made from a 55 gallon drum or two, but I've never had it off of a spit (openly cooked). Maybe the chefs in the house have some methods to accomplish this safely and have it still come out delicious?

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:44   #30
uspsmark
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
Thanks TR, I appreciate the ideas. Rebar would both be cheap and durable through the climate changes around here, but would require a lot of prep to get it right to cook on. After my post I was brainstorming with some coworkers, and we came up with a tripod type support with a steel leader/line and a giant treble hook hanging from the center to secure critters to. We could hang a dutch oven from it as well. The idea sounds good in theory, but I have to do some shopping around to find the right rig.

Also, while pondering what kind of game we would cook up, we are considering a small pig to roast. Anyone have any advice on that idea? Every pig roast I've been to, the pig was in a smoker/grill made from a 55 gallon drum or two, but I've never had it off of a spit (openly cooked). Maybe the chefs in the house have some methods to accomplish this safely and have it still come out delicious?
Season the pig inside and outside with salt and pepper or your rub of choice. Put onions, carrots, celery and such inside the cavity of the pig. sew up the belly slit with electric fence wire (might have to use an awl to make the holes for the wire to go through, but normally it is thin and strong enough to pierce the skin on a young pig).
If you wrap the whole pig in something like chicken wire or chain link fencining, and tie it together with electric fence wire, it will keep it all together when you put it on the spit.

Last edited by uspsmark; 06-14-2013 at 06:47.
uspsmark is offline   Reply With Quote