Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 04-01-2004, 23:22   #16
Gypsy
Area Commander

Re: Good picks

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghostrider
Carsons (for ribs, the outstanding potatoes au gratin, and the Chocolate Blackout cake) . Getting hungry just thinking about it!
I finally remembered the name of the rib place Ghostrider! It's Famous Dave's. Mmm mmm good! But alas...they don't have the Chocolate Blackout cake.
Old 04-02-2004, 00:38   #17
Radar Rider
Guerrilla Chief

I am a great fan of Korean style barbeque ribs. To that end, I believe that the best restaurant is in Pyongtaek, Korea. It is called "Urijong". There is not a direct english translation, but the GIs have coined a name for it. It is well known as "The Happy Cow". The signs outside the restaurant have a cartoonish picture of a smiling cow; hence the nickname.

In addition to the fabulous food that they serve, it's one of those places where the food is cooked at your table. They have a place in the center of the table where the charcoal is placed, and either the patron can cook (which is what I like to do), or one of the waitresses will take care of it. Therefore, the food is fresh, hot as you want it, and cooked to one's exact taste. As well, as is with traditional Korean cooking, there are about thirty little extra bowls that come with the meal. Rice, Kimchi (four to six variants), fresh cut garlic, fresh cut green peppers, spiced vegetables, Korean style salad, hot pepper paste, and lots more.

It is a great place to eat and a fine night out. I've found a couple of places in the States that come close, but none so good as Urijong.
Radar Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 02:03   #18
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

That all you can eat Chineese place on Yadkin/Ponderosa Shopping Center. 3 years later Im still having cravings for their Pork Fried Rice.

2d place is the Papa Chano's chain restaurants in California. Great Fajitas.

3d is Chicken and Rice MRE.

In case you couldnt tell, Food is not something I like to spend alot of money on.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:42   #19
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

*grins at Psywar*

Hey man. Ham (slice) is where the heart is.

--Dan, philistine
Old 04-02-2004, 05:16   #20
lrd
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Radar Rider
It is well known as "The Happy Cow". The signs outside the restaurant have a cartoonish picture of a smiling cow; hence the nickname.
There were two Korean barbecue places straight out of the front gate at Atsugi NAS: the Red Cow (red sign) and the Blue Cow (blue sign). The Blue Cow was better, but occasionally off limits to military.

Any place Italian. Bella Isola in Anacortes, WA is one of my favorites.

Any Mexican place that makes their own flour tortillas. My favorite in San Antonio was Tios on Bandera. I love their chicken chili rellenos and they do great breakfasts.

The best steak I ever had was down in the stockyards in Kansas City.

It's hard to pick just one because I love food in general, but one of the most unique has to be the Garlic Restaurant in Tokyo. Everything on the menu has garlic. They do two seatings a night, the whole restaurant orders, and then they start cooking. Whatever gets ordered the most gets cooked first. Note: if you don't like garlic, don't go.
lrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:46   #21
Sigi
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy
Excellent choice...but next time try Gibson's. Simply fabulous.
I went to both Morton's and Gibson's in Chicago, and I have to say that was the best food that I have had so far on this planet. The service was superb, and the food.....ah, well. I can't wait to go back.

Also, Gene and Georgetti's - Chicago. I wonder if that is still there.

We stayed at the Omni Hotel and visited these establishments in three consecutive nights.

Simply heaven.

Johnny's Steakhouse in Cleveland comes a close second.
Sigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:48   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by lrd

The best steak I ever had was down in the stockyards in Kansas City.
That would be the Golden Ox, you can see the Kemper Arena from the parking lot.

Agreed, a GREAT steak.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:54   #23
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Minamoto Sushi Restaurant, Kyoto. If you tell them what you want in Japanese and prove that a white devil can consume a massive amount of fish, they give you amazing prices, food, and presents at the end.

The sushi there was amazing. The Nigiri-Toro melts in the mouth.

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 07:00   #24
lrd
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
That would be the Golden Ox, you can see the Kemper Arena from the parking lot.

Agreed, a GREAT steak.

TR
That's it. I couldn't remember the name, but I know how to get there. They used to let you choose your steak. I don't know it they still do -- I haven't been for a few years.
lrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 07:08   #25
Para
Quiet Professional

I went to Morton's in Palm Desert. I was not impressed whatsoever. I am all for good food regardless of the price, but I have eaten far better food for 1/3 the price. Don't ask me to pay those prices because it's trendy and "the place to be".
We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land, and air with all our might and all our strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, What is our aim? I answer in one word: Victory Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Winston Churchill
Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 08:50   #26
eyes

Thumbs up

Last edited by eyes; 10-16-2007 at 12:13.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:56   #27
DunbarFC
Guerrilla

The Border Cafe - amazing Tex-Mex and Cajun food

or

Artu in the North End of Boston for great Italian
Old 04-02-2004, 09:22   #28
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Radar Rider
I am a great fan of Korean style barbeque ribs.

In addition to the fabulous food that they serve, it's one of those places where the food is cooked at your table
We have a Korean here set up the same way in the 'burbs that an old friend of mine took me to...it was awesome. He was former Army and spent a bit of time in Korea. I loved it.

Sigi...yes G and G's is still here...on Franklin.

eyes...I've been to St. Elmo's the filet there is very good. Gibson's would still be my fav though.
Old 04-02-2004, 13:26   #29
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Here in Fort Worth, Boi Na Braza is a great place for all-you can eat portions of great cuts of meat. In Dallas, Tokyo One is a good sushi place. My favorite Hole in the wall is a place called Benito's in the Diamond Hill part of north FTW. They have great Lengua burritos and other Mexican dishes that are hard to find.

No Fish sauce to be found
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 13:28   #30
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by DunbarFC
The Border Cafe - amazing Tex-Mex and Cajun food
Uhhh, no offense bro, but there is no good Tex-Mex where you are.

For Tex-Mex: Chuys - steak burrito with hatch green chile sauce or 911-Plate.

For Cajun: Ragin' Cajun