Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 07-14-2009, 06:01   #46
glebo
Quiet Professional

I remember that chevy nicewander built using old 2.5 ton duece axles. I think it made the army times or something like that didn't it??

You had to be careful getting into that truck, if you saw a burlap bag (or several) ....you can bet your booty he had some rattlers in it.

Yeah, yeah, that's what I like to do....go hunt rattle snakes....NOT.

I think he had a run in with several .22 cal bullets that put him to rest. Can't remember the details of the story, but it wasn't pretty from what I barely remember.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:23   #47
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

I was on ODA 535 C/1/5 at Bragg when 1st Bn moved in 86'. A Co (-)(B tm and two ODAs, 511 and 512 if I remember correctly) went to Ft Bliss, TX. HHC, B & C Co (with the other 3 A Cos ODAs attached to B & C Co) went to Campbell in 86. I missed the BN move that summer as about 15 of us single soldiers on teams were stuck in language school at the time. We finish CLS there at Bragg at the end of 86 and then went out to Campbell. I had heard that a active "Airborne Unit" was promised to Campbell for politicial reasons.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 20:33   #48
alelks
Quiet Professional

Everyone missed the main reason they moved.

NO POST SUPPORT CYCLE!

Just kidding but at least that was a perk from what I was told.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 20:34   #49
alelks
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
I remember that chevy nicewander built using old 2.5 ton duece axles. I think it made the army times or something like that didn't it??

You had to be careful getting into that truck, if you saw a burlap bag (or several) ....you can bet your booty he had some rattlers in it.

Yeah, yeah, that's what I like to do....go hunt rattle snakes....NOT.

I think he had a run in with several .22 cal bullets that put him to rest. Can't remember the details of the story, but it wasn't pretty from what I barely remember.
Yep, He met up with some very bad guys and took quite a few rounds. Not sure if they were 22 caliber or not though.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 23:03   #50
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Deleted

Last edited by Last hard class; 05-18-2010 at 23:06.
Last hard class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 22:58   #51
Shadar
Quiet Professional

Brown Gortex Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosby Raider View Post
I was on the Strat Recon committee and we were issued the lightweight green Gortex and brown Gortex boots in 1984.

I still have my brown boots. Kind of raggedy now, but still the most comfortable boots I've ever had. (Once you get them broken in.)
Shadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 23:32   #52
Shadar
Quiet Professional

The Real Story Behind the 5th Gp Move from Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoresteen View Post
I've tried searching QP and Google but can't find anything on this. My questions is, why was 5th Group moved to Campbell in 1988? Then two years later 3rd Group was re-activated at Bragg. Why wasn't 3rd Group just activated at Campbell?

I was just wondering. Thanks!
OK.... This may get a little long but here is pretty much how it happened.

5th Group was a Desert Group. We had recently (within a year or two) moved from Smoke Bomb Hill to over by Pope to some delapitated WWII bldgs.

5th Gp was slated to move to Ft. Bliss. There was huge political pressure to move to Ft. Campbell from a couple of Senators and at the same time there was talk that another group (3rd) was going to be stood up. Anyway, these Congressmen from Kentucky wanted their very own SF Group at Ft Campbell. COL Guest was trying to get people out of Bragg and get an ADVON (5th Gp FWD) to Bliss thinking that if he had people already down there it would be easier for his arguement in that money had already been spent sending personnel down and standing people up. At the time ODA 581 and 582 were AKA (B-500 (Second Edition) Not to be associated with Blank Frank Tony and the first edition that got kicked out of Australia).
Anyway, COl Guest (he may have may BG by then I can't remember) managed to get us (B-500) orders and had put us on stand by a couple of days earlier telling us that when we got orders...get off of Bragg ASAP. We did. The day a couple of us left people were trying to recall the orders and stop us from leaving. We were prepared and didn't answer our phones.
We got to Bliss and ended up becoming A/1/5 (ODAs 511 and 512).
The rest of 5th Group ended up at Campbell. The reason 5th moved to Campbell and not 3rd was a matter of logistics. The Senators won and A group was going to end up at Campbell. Since 3rd group was a NEW unit, it was authorized new barracks wherever it ended up. However it 5th stayed at Bragg, it was going to be stuck in the old WWII baracks. So it was determined that 5th would move to Ft. Campbell which would give them new facilities and 3rd would be stood up at Bragg and a new compound would be built.
Fast fwd to 1989/1990. LTC Kinsinger hated that we were part of his BN but he didn't have immediate access to mess with us. Even though we as a Co. owned more training area at Ft. Bliss than Ft. Campbell in it's entirety. This was mostly due to some old fashioned SF dealing and a really good S-4 guy named SSG Tom Beach. We also had an agreement with BLM to use thousands of acres in New Mexico (and Oro Grande) for Desert Survival. In addition, we had our own ranges that were totally under our control that had a 180 degree shooting house on it as well as linear targets, to include a bus. We were working on getting a 737 body when we were shut down...but that''s another story.
Anyway, SGM Clough and Kinsinger made a deal with us (They lied to us) and talked us into submitting 4187's to PCS to Campbell on the guarantee that we wouldn't PCS for 18 months. Orders started showing up in 3 months.
If you check official records, you will find that A Co. (the guidon was at Ft. Bliss) was never officially moved from Bliss. They simply essentially PCSed all personnel out of the unit.

And that.....is the real story of 5th Group moving to Campbell

Last edited by Shadar; 09-19-2010 at 23:49.
Shadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 00:08   #53
SFSalRet08
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadar View Post
OK.... This may get a little long but here is pretty much how it happened.

5th Group was a Desert Group. We had recently (within a year or two) moved from Smoke Bomb Hill to over by Pope to some delapitated WWII bldgs.

5th Gp was slated to move to Ft. Bliss. There was huge political pressure to move to Ft. Campbell from a couple of Senators and at the same time there was talk that another group (3rd) was going to be stood up. Anyway, these Congressmen from Kentucky wanted their very own SF Group at Ft Campbell. COL Guest was trying to get people out of Bragg and get an ADVON (5th Gp FWD) to Bliss thinking that if he had people already down there it would be easier for his arguement in that money had already been spent sending personnel down and standing people up. At the time ODA 581 and 582 were AKA (B-500 (Second Edition) Not to be associated with Blank Frank Tony and the first edition that got kicked out of Australia).
Anyway, COl Guest (he may have may BG by then I can't remember) managed to get us (B-500) orders and had put us on stand by a couple of days earlier telling us that when we got orders...get off of Bragg ASAP. We did. The day a couple of us left people were trying to recall the orders and stop us from leaving. We were prepared and didn't answer our phones.
We got to Bliss and ended up becoming A/1/5 (ODAs 511 and 512).
The rest of 5th Group ended up at Campbell. The reason 5th moved to Campbell and not 3rd was a matter of logistics. The Senators won and A group was going to end up at Campbell. Since 3rd group was a NEW unit, it was authorized new barracks wherever it ended up. However it 5th stayed at Bragg, it was going to be stuck in the old WWII baracks. So it was determined that 5th would move to Ft. Campbell which would give them new facilities and 3rd would be stood up at Bragg and a new compound would be built.
Fast fwd to 1989/1990. LTC Kinsinger hated that we were part of his BN but he didn't have immediate access to mess with us. Even though we as a Co. owned more training area at Ft. Bliss than Ft. Campbell in it's entirety. This was mostly due to some old fashioned SF dealing and a really good S-4 guy named SSG Tom Beach. We also had an agreement with BLM to use thousands of acres in New Mexico (and Oro Grande) for Desert Survival. In addition, we had our own ranges that were totally under our control that had a 180 degree shooting house on it as well as linear targets, to include a bus. We were working on getting a 737 body when we were shut down...but that''s another story.
Anyway, SGM Clough and Kinsinger made a deal with us (They lied to us) and talked us into submitting 4187's to PCS to Campbell on the guarantee that we wouldn't PCS for 18 months. Orders started showing up in 3 months.
If you check official records, you will find that A Co. (the guidon was at Ft. Bliss) was never officially moved from Bliss. They simply essentially PCSed all personnel out of the unit.

And that.....is the real story of 5th Group moving to Campbell

Shadar,
Thanks for the very interesting story. I have read all the posts here about why 5th Group moved. Lots of different opinions, but interesting reading nevertheless. This is one of the many reasons why I love this PS site. Lots of information and suggestions to everyone. Every day I learn something new about SF.

Thanks

SFSalRet08
Old 09-20-2010, 03:25   #54
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
OK.... This may get a little long but here is pretty much how it happened. . . . And that.....is the real story of 5th Group moving to Campbell
Shadar thanks for the info. I remember going to Bliss for 6-8 weeks was "Fun, Fun, Fun 'til her Daddy took the T-Bird (or DMVS) away!
Rat Patrolling along the Mexican border, climbing at Waco Tanks, the pretty girls in the "safe house" up in the hills.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:32   #55
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelks View Post
Everyone missed the main reason they moved.

NO POST SUPPORT CYCLE!

Just kidding but at least that was a perk from what I was told.
That's what I heard too. Basically, that it was done for morale.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:50   #56
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

SFSalRet08,

That's a pretty cool avatar,I've often stated that in this forum.......... Could never understand why Berry said "win" when he should have said "earned"...............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:38   #57
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

Yep

Quote:
The reason 5th moved to Campbell and not 3rd was a matter of logistics. The Senators won and A group was going to end up at Campbell.

Shader, don't forget that GEN-Ret Wickam wanted a group in his neighborhood too (he retired to Kentucky).

I also remember Prince Philip's staff saying they could never get the training areas they needed which was a damnable lie. So, like you said, 5th Grp moved from the deserts of Bragg to the deserts of Campbell instead of the deserts of Bliss.
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 23:46   #58
SFSalRet08
Quiet Professional

We Dare You / Earned not Issued

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
SFSalRet08,

That's a pretty cool avatar,I've often stated that in this forum.......... Could never understand why Berry said "win" when he should have said "earned"...............

Big Teddy
GBTFS,
Yes not to get off topic here, but when I saw yours I was like "I like that, WE Dare you....." When I first registered to the PS I had thought about nothing but find a great avatar. I saw yours and thought "WOW", and after searching I found this one. 7th Group flash and all. And after reading many different posts especially the latest one about The Yarborough and the resale of it. Many QP’s (as well as I) are disgusted about the fact that these new kid are not respecting the knife or the beret, and selling their gift. They think the beret is just a piece of head gear that is company issued. I can remember our “Doning of the beret” night dinner, where we got to officially put it on of the first time. A sense of pride and respect is what I felt. To be in such an elite unit whit such great warriors was the highlight of my career. So yes “Earned not Issued” is and has been what I have always believed. Also about the avatar I was kind of afraid that you might be upset that I am also using the same image. I hope you are not.

Thanks

SFSalRet08
Old 10-01-2010, 10:39   #59
andygoodman
Asset

ya, selling your knife? i didnt think anybody would do that. that is rediculous. does anybody know what happened to that guy after he got busted?

Last edited by andygoodman; 10-01-2010 at 10:42.
andygoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 23:22   #60
dpkdavis
Quiet Professional

your guys make me feel young

You guys make me feel young of all the talk about before the move. I got to
5th in 1990 and there today !!
dpkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote