Old 02-06-2011, 10:33   #61
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I am making these today!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:54   #62
Defion69
Quiet Professional

Thank you TS for the recipe and RL for sharing with all once again! Sounds excellent.
Defion69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:19   #63
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I have taught an individual with no prior weapons or pistol knowledge and within one hour on the range had this individual shooting hole through holes...... I do believe I can teach anyone to do this, but those with "knowledge" tend to refuse to "let go" of past training......

The rib technique is harder to learn than shooting holes through holes...
TS, Sir,

The above is indeed good news for those of us still grill-ically challenged. haha..... It just is not my "best" cooking method, but am always trying to learn more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
I am making these today!
Am very, very jelaous, RL. Hope they come out, "Kick-ass!"

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 18:49   #64
wet dog

Try adding green tabasco, and honey close to the end of the cook-off.

GB up over Steelers, 21 - 3.
Old 05-02-2011, 18:47   #65
Sapper124
SF Candidate

Superb!

Thank you TS for the guidance and RL for constantly talking them up! Grilled these yesterday, 1 rack of Kraft, 1 rack with Tony Romas and 2 with different dry rubs. The grilling ribs individually makes a difference!
Sapper124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 23:50   #66
harryd56
Asset

These Ribs

Team Daddy,

As a professional chef I have to say that you have surpassed all expectations of a rib tasting. They melt in your mouth!!!
harryd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:49   #67
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryd56 View Post
Team Daddy,

As a professional chef I have to say that you have surpassed all expectations of a rib tasting. They melt in your mouth!!!
Glad you like them! (And I did this before I went to culinary school!)
Old 05-14-2011, 11:01   #68
Sapper124
SF Candidate

One more again

oven is on, ribs are about to be put in and beers are cold. Now just hoping that the weather in Columbus stays decent and rain doesnt decide to move on us when we fire up the grill!
Old 05-14-2011, 15:16   #69
Cake_14N
Guerrilla

Using a smoker, not the oven

Going to try this using my electric smoker, not the oven. Planning to use applewood chips in the smoker during the smoking session.

I make my own BBQ sauce, so will use it instead of Kraft.

recipe for about a gallon of sauce: ( it freezes really well )

5 pounds Roma tomatoes, halved
1 large red onion quartered
1 full head fresh garlic, not the small cloves, the whole darn thing, skinned
6 Jalapeno peppers, halved
2 Pablano peppers, quartered
12-16 ounces very strong coffee

Put this into a large stock pot , cover and simmer until peppers are softened and you see the skin peeling away from the Romas.

Blend until smooth. I use a hand blender, but the regular one works too.

Strain through a wire mesh screen, I use a silicone spatula and help force the liquid through the screen. Be aggressive here and really force the flesh of the Romas and peppers through the screen, if all you are getting is runny liquid, press a bit harder. You should get a paste clinging to the bottom of your wire mesh screen if you are doing this correctly. When you put the left over skin and seeds down the garbage disposal, go slow to avoid clogging it up.

The resulting thin paste is added to a large pot and put on low heat.

I add a large bottle of generic catsup, a full bottle of molasses and a bit of Claudes Fajita Marinade ( you can use some liquid smoke, but only use a couple of drops at a time. You can always add some more. ) I also add a glug or two of whatever bottle of red wine I have open at the time.

Simmer until thickened to your desired consistency for BBQ sauce.

I add salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.

My family loves this sauce.

Pretty easy to adjust recipe to make smaller or larger batches. I scaled it up to make 5 gallons for my wedding 2 weeks ago and it was perfect.
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.—The United States of America Pledge of Allegiance

Last edited by Cake_14N; 05-14-2011 at 15:20. Reason: typos
Cake_14N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 20:23   #70
Sapper124
SF Candidate

finished product

not a bad Saturday afternoon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribs.jpg (68.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 05-14-2011, 20:35   #71
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper124 View Post
Focus, dude, focus! Or, less ale.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 22:44   #72
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Great pic, I like the "burn" you put on them.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:54   #73
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Nice choice of beverage to go along with those.

I see some ribs that aren't separated on the baking pan in the back. Were these part of your cooking efforts? If so, was there a big difference between the intact slabs the those individually grilled? IIRC the recipe calls for separating the ribs prior to grilling.

I'm looking to try this recipe for the first time in the upcoming weeks.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:23   #74
Sapper124
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
Nice choice of beverage to go along with those.

I see some ribs that aren't separated on the baking pan in the back. Were these part of your cooking efforts? If so, was there a big difference between the intact slabs the those individually grilled? IIRC the recipe calls for separating the ribs prior to grilling.
Yes, Ale had an impact on the focus, as well as my desire to drop my iphone and get to eating!

TS, the separation as you have stated does make the difference, not that I ever doubted you! I was curious to see the difference if I were to grill the rack as a whole vs individual and learned my lesson. Whole takes less effort, but individually gives that great burn. Did half a rack individually and my comrades agreed they were superior, but they come out great regardless.

PedOncoDoc, grill them individually, the extra focus and attention can be tasted afterwards.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:11   #75
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Yes, Ale had an impact on the focus, as well as my desire to drop my iphone and get to eating!

TS, the separation as you have stated does make the difference, not that I ever doubted you! I was curious to see the difference if I were to grill the rack as a whole vs individual and learned my lesson. Whole takes less effort, but individually gives that great burn. Did half a rack individually and my comrades agreed they were superior, but they come out great regardless.

PedOncoDoc, grill them individually, the extra focus and attention can be tasted afterwards.
Thanks for the follow up. Duly noted.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote