Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 07-27-2009, 15:11   #181
Dad
Guerrilla

Key Lime Pie

I don't think this has been posted. This recipe is from Joe's Stone Crab in Miami. I got it off the interenet and have made it a number of times.

5 Egg yolks
2 cans (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup fresh lime juice
Zest of 1 lime

For crust:
10 Graham crackers crushed
1/4 cup sugar
5 tablespoons melted butter
Whipped cream(optional)
(I am lazy, I just buy the pre made crusts at the store-10")

For the filling: Mix the yolks, milk , juice and zest
For the crust: Mix crackers, sugar and butter. Form in a 12" pie pan. Bake 8 minutes at 375, let cool

Pout the filling in the crust and bake another 8 minutes at 375. Remove and let cool. Once cool place in freezer until ready to use

Before serving, remove from freezer and let thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes. top with whipped cream if desired.

The real key to this pie is buy good quality limes! you can tell the difference when you get cheap with the limes.
AGAIN, THIS RECIPE IS FROM JOES CRAB SHACK IN MIAMI AS POSTED ON THE INTERNET. IT AIN'T MINE
Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 16:41   #182
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobelizer View Post
I dare you to try this if you havent.....

Any kind of pasta...and Ketchup. Also put some butter in the pasta after cooking and some accent...man!
And a bit of salt.

Back when I was a youngster, and Dad had just made Captain, and the only pay option was EOM; Mom called this "Lunchtime Spaghetti". The only difference was she splurged and used a 17 cent can of plain tomato sauce. Funny, now, realizing how hard my parents worked to make a military paycheck last in the 50's 60's and 70's. And Dad was an officer. Seemed at least one night of the last week of the month we got a real treat -- French Toast for dinner. I LOVED "breakfast for dinner" night! And I'm still always up for some LTS. Today, those canned spaghetti sauces are pretty good. But, I miss the way the house smelled when Mom got it started early in the morning. even the dog was going nuts by dinner time!
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:40   #183
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

New Favorite

This is not my recipe, but it is delicious!
Ingredients:

Deer back strap
Bacon- thin sliced and cheap
Toothpicks
Cream cheese
Teriyaki marinade
Garlic powder
Pepper
Pepper-Jack cheese- thin slices
1 link of deer sausage- cut or shredded into fine pieces. (Pork/breakfast sausage works fine)
Jalapenos- remove seeds and cut into slivers (I use canned jalapenos)
Onion- Cut into slivers 1 in. long
Meat tenderizer mallet

Lay the back strap out and cut 3/4" filets.
Take a meat tenderizer and beat until the meat is flattened out to the size of a softball.
Now dip the meat into a shallow dish of the Teriyaki marinade. Then dust with garlic powder and pepper.
Now spread cream cheese on one entire side of the meat. The more the better.
Now sprinkle some of your shredded deer sausage in the middle.
Add your onions and Jalapeno slivers. I usually us 1 or 2 jalapeno slivers and 2 or 3 onion slivers.
Now take one side of the meat and roll it all up like a sushi roll.
Wrap the roll in bacon and secure with toothpicks.
Now cook on the grill until the bacon is cooked like you like it. About five minutes before you think they are completely done add the slice of pepper jack cheese to top of each roll and let melt.
Remove and cool for a couple of minutes (the cream cheese will be very hot) and enjoy.
I promise you will not be disappointed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Must Try Deer.jpg (42.0 KB, 19 views)

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:07   #184
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
And a bit of salt.

Back when I was a youngster, and Dad had just made Captain, and the only pay option was EOM; Mom called this "Lunchtime Spaghetti". The only difference was she splurged and used a 17 cent can of plain tomato sauce. Funny, now, realizing how hard my parents worked to make a military paycheck last in the 50's 60's and 70's. And Dad was an officer. Seemed at least one night of the last week of the month we got a real treat -- French Toast for dinner. I LOVED "breakfast for dinner" night! And I'm still always up for some LTS. Today, those canned spaghetti sauces are pretty good. But, I miss the way the house smelled when Mom got it started early in the morning. even the dog was going nuts by dinner time!
Yeah Dozer I remember those hard times also,the early 40's for me........My Dad was serving over in the Pacific an Mom had to work to make ends meet,Grandma was living with us also.......My Mom would make soup out of neck bones the butcher would give us..... She made her spaghetti using plain old tomato sauce like your Mom and it tasted great......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 14:13   #185
wet dog

Just got word from an Arizona friend, he took an Elk over the weekend.

Already got the word, he's saving 100lbs for me to jerky. Considering not using the Wyoming family recipes, but willing to try something different.

Ok fellas, spill the best kept secrets, I need something new.

Wet Dog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AZ Elk Hunt Sep 2010.jpg (50.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-22-2010, 19:51   #186
Penn
Area Commander

WD, check this thread out it should give you an easy azimuth to follow. http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...hlight=Venison
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 21:35   #187
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
WD, check this thread out it should give you an easy azimuth to follow. http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...hlight=Venison
Thanks.