Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 12-09-2016, 05:50   #1
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

The 2016 Hater’s Guide To The Williams-Sonoma Catalog

I could have put this in the comedy section but, honestly, who there has ever heard of William-Sonoma, much less gets the catalog every year. Only here, among gourmet mac & cheese comfort food, which we can't eat until it has been properly photographed from every angle, can this piece reach the audience it deserves. Hit the link at the end to read the whole thing.

The 2016 Hater’s Guide To The Williams-Sonoma Catalog

I was on the Jersey Turnpike when I saw it. I was driving my family to New York for Thanksgiving and there, along the shittiest stretch of road in the shittiest state in America, I saw the Williams-Sonoma fulfillment center: a vast hangar that seemed to stretch a mile long, with shipping containers lined up along the side, like piglets feeding on a series of artisanal teats. It was located in a town called Cranbury because of course it fucking was. It made me wonder if Williams-Sonoma chose the town of Cranbury specifically for the whimsy of it, or if they CREATED the town and christened it Cranbury just so that it could match their mission statement of bringing holiday cheer and $75 baskets of glazed figs to the world.

And I won’t lie, it was kind of nice to see the fulfillment center, to see just where the (imported, dry-aged Portuguese) sausage (with white wine and fennel) is made. This has not been a pleasant year. Everyone good died. America is now a bad sitcom flash forward episode. And I got a camera up my dick. So it was nice to see all those trucks lined up in Cranbury, each one getting its marching orders to drive out to some pristine house on some pristine cul-de-sac in some pristine suburb. Call it Peppermintbarkville—a place that the rest of the world cannot touch, where even a nuclear holocaust could not intrude upon the bestowing of gold napkin rings and cheese assortments. Life as we know may end, but the Williams-Sonoma catalog, and the army of little Ina Gartens who have seemingly unlimited cash to spend on its wares, will endure. They shall adorn their houses in the finest garlands and pass around only the choicest amuse bouches, and everything will be PERFECT even as the world burns a mile away. OH, IT’LL BE SO GRAND THAT YOU’LL WANNA PUKE.

So come with me now. Let’s forget about our troubles, crack open this year’s W-S Christmas catalog, and lose ourselves in a tartan wonderland. Will there be mug toppers? Oh, you better fucking believe there will be mug toppers. To the catalog…

http://adequateman.deadspin.com/the-...log-1789529261
Old 12-09-2016, 09:59   #2
bblhead672
Area Commander

That's the hardest I've laughed all week. My co-workers think I've finally snapped.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

--Thomas Jefferson
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:11   #3
Box
Quiet Professional

...I'm going to make a tartan colored ghillie suit after reading that
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:45   #4
cbtengr
Area Commander

I really liked the 6" diameter cake, they claim it serves 8-10, looks more like a Petit four to me .
Old 12-09-2016, 12:46   #5
PSM
Area Commander

Eighty bucks for a wine aerator! I just stick a straw in the glass and blow. Sure I get weird looks at fancy resturants but I saved $80.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 15:28   #6
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I tried to go into a Williams-Sonoma store, once. Apparently they have some kind of detector/force field generator that won't let in people who don't meet the standards as represented on "Chopped".
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:58   #7
Gypsy
Area Commander

The fondue...omg!!
Old 12-16-2016, 05:01   #8
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

We received this actual catalog in the mail this week, which we can't look at without laughing because of the Hater's Guide.