Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 11-05-2009, 00:33   #46
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas View Post
WD-
Dan akroyd was down here marketing for that crystal head vodka not long ago. I bought some. I didn't think that particular vodka was outstanding either.

My vote is for stoli in the freezer.
Agreed, Stoli, nice pick!

I took the skull head to the next level, Bloodymary for breakfast last Sunday morning.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:30   #47
Cynic
Guerrilla

reviving an old thread...

In view of the economic hard times, I have found a really good and economical sipping vodka. Sobieski is pretty smooth and costs half of what you pay for Grey Goose. Plus you get to enrich the coffers of one of my favorite actors, Bruce Willis, who is part owner.
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 14:43   #48
mojaveman
Area Commander

Forgot the name but had some raspberry tinted vodka while visiting relatives in Eastern Europe a few years ago and it was pretty good. Those folks over there were drinking it shot after shot. I stopped after about five. Nostrovia!

Last edited by mojaveman; 09-29-2011 at 14:49.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 15:32   #49
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Some friends of friends run this distillery - Black Rock Distillery - in Spray, Oregon. They make 9 Rocks vodka. Purty durned good.

http://www.dailyastorian.com/news/no...cc4c002e0.html
Old 09-29-2011, 16:53   #50
mangler
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Some friends of friends run this distillery - Black Rock Distillery - in Spray, Oregon. They make 9 Rocks vodka. Purty durned good.

http://www.dailyastorian.com/news/no...cc4c002e0.html
I'll concure with that. We stopped in there a while back and picked up a few bottles. I'm not a vodka drinker normally and I enjoyed it.
mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:48   #51
aiki ins
Asset

My .02

If price is no object, Level, an Absolut brand, or Zyr. Both distilled from grain get my vote.

For a less expensive alternative, Russian Standard. Again a grain vodka.

I drink em' straight with olives immaculate and ice cold!
aiki ins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 13:32   #52
cant hardly
Asset

vodka taste test

Last edited by cant hardly; 07-26-2022 at 18:41.
cant hardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 13:48   #53
98G
bonum medicina malis locis

Of the Russians...

I spent almost 6 years in Russia and when I "have" to drink vodka (it became work) I only drink it straight and preferrable, cold. I liked Kauffman -- very smooth, seriously very smooth.

Russkij Standard Platinum was more available and favored outside of Moscow in the other provinces -- mostly because it was more available.

The two easiest things to spend; someone else's time and someone else's money.
98G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 16:23   #54
Cynic
Guerrilla

In case anyone needs incentive

I just found out about Bruce Willis and Sobieski Vodka partnering to raise funds for The Fisher House Foundation. Good deal!
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:09   #55
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant hardly View Post
Years ago, a friend and I held a double blind vodka tasting at a party to displel some rumors- namely that Grey Goose was good.
The contenders: Stoli, Grey Goose, Ketel One, Smirnoff, and Everclear watered down with distilled water to 80 proof.

Stoli won, followed closely by Smirnoff. Then Ketel One and Everclear.
Grey Goose was dead last.

No original bottles were present, I filled identical decanters and labeled them with letters, and a friend who did not know what was in each, served them.
The sample size was 28. The only people who liked Grey Goose were those who drank it regularly.

That being said, IMO vodka is a vehicle for intoxication, and not really to be savored. And a martini is made with gin and vermouth. I don't know what chilled vodka (sans vermouth) in a glass is called, but it is not a martini.
You probably go into a bar and expect the bartender to be able to make a Tom Collins, or his evil, less-good-looking brother John Collins! You've got to find a bartender almost as old as I in order to succeed at that.

I once had a customer ask for a very dry martini. I asked, "How dry?" He said, "Just whisper the word 'Vermouth' across it." He was British. Tipped well. A rarity.
Old 11-14-2011, 16:43   #56
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

We took the out laws to Bern's steakhouse in Tampa.

They have a graduated system for wait staff so that you have to have been there a long time to make waiter. Great service!

My father in law asked for a dry martini. The waiter asked him if he wanted one drop of vermouth, or two, and whipped out an eyedropper.

He got a great tip.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 17:37   #57
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
We took the out laws to Bern's steakhouse in Tampa.

They have a graduated system for wait staff so that you have to have been there a long time to make waiter. Great service!

My father in law asked for a dry martini. The waiter asked him if he wanted one drop of vermouth, or two, and whipped out an eyedropper.

He got a great tip.

TR
TR Sir,

You know great service starts with the Chef of any place, IMVHO.

Always good to hear that folks enjoy well prepared food....it makes everything worth it!

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 18:06   #58
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Mojave- Mix Raspberry vodka and and lemonade. I have mentioned this in another thread but it is great in hot weather....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 20:23   #59
Ken Brock
Redneck Knifemaker

I like Zubrowka and Luksusowa
Ken Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 21:22   #60
ECUPirate09
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
Five O'clock Vodka...or anything that comes in a plastic bottle really.
Jesus, I'm a college student and I can't drink 5 O'clock. Or Aristocrat (any time a company makes tequilla, rum and vodka, it's probably a no-go, IMO).
ECUPirate09 is offline   Reply With Quote