Robert Tink - RIP

RIP Brother.

EmailPrintCommentRSS
February 12, 2011

Ga. cop, Green Beret 'had servant's heart'
He is survived by his wife, Lisa, and other relatives
By Rick Badie
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

CHAMBLEE, Ga. — Chamblee police officer Robert Tink whistled when he went to work. He did whatever he was asked to do on his shift, and if told to do something once, the patrol officer figured the job was his for the duration.

"He was extremely motivated and always in a great mood," said Capt. Michael Beller, Tink's field training officer. "He would come in and do all the things the other officers didn't want to do, such as go get prisoner meals, feed prisoners and do transports from other counties. He had a servant's heart."

On Feb. 2, Robert "Bob" Everett Tink of Stone Mountain was in the gym working out when he experienced chest pains. He was transported to St. Joseph's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. He was 67. A funeral will be held at 3 p.m. Thursday in the chapel of A.S. Turner & Sons, which is in charge of arrangements.

Mr. Tink was born in Montclair, N.J., an only child. Before he became a police officer, he was a certified public accountant who spent years working in the software and computer industry.

The Green Beret served two years in Vietnam with the U.S. Army's 5th Special Forces Group. He was awarded the combat infantryman badge and Bronze Star. He belonged to two Special Forces Association chapters, No. 33 in Cleveland, Tenn., and No. 59 in Atlanta.

As a member of the South Carolina State Guard, he could be counted on if called, said Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott, the group's provost marshal.

"Whenever we had an assignment, he was there," he said. "He was very dedicated to the state guard and law enforcement in general."

In 1982, Tink met Lisa, his wife of 27 years, at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington. They moved to metro Atlanta and settled in Stone Mountain.

In 2005, Mr. Tink joined the Chamblee police department at age 62. He was believed to be one of the oldest active law enforcement officers in the state. Retirement was not something he even discussed, Capt. Beller said.

"He had no plans, ever, of leaving law enforcement," he said. "He was going to work this job. He was a conscientious, motivated officer."

A few years ago, the officer competed in the Georgia Police and Fire Games, an annual contest held in Hall County. He won his division because no one else entered in his age category.

"It's 10 minutes of strenuous activity," Capt. Beller said. "He won a gold medal. He was extremely fit. He's the last person anybody thought would have a heart attack."

Survivors include his wife, Lisa Tink of Stone Mountain, and other relatives.

De Oppresso Liber

Who dares wins
Bad Tolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:32   #2
Tatonka316
Gold Star Father

Rest in Peace, Warrior. Thank you for your lifetime of service and sacrifice. You will ALWAYS be missed and NEVER forgotten.

molon labe
Tatonka316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:09   #3
Sohei
Area Commander

Rest In Peace Warrior. Thank you for your years of service and sacrifice. You will surely be missed by family, friends, teammates and fellow officers. You will not be forgotten.
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:10   #4
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior.............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:46   #5
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Rest In Peace.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:53   #6
wet dog

Rest in Peace Warrior. Thank you for your service to this great nation, the brotherhood, and for the legacy you've left behind.

Last edited by wet dog; 02-15-2011 at 11:56.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:48   #7
Richard
Quiet Professional

RIP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RbtTink.jpg (10.4 KB, 31 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:59   #8
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Rest in Peace

Practice honesty and integrity; rescue the man who has been wronged from the hands of his oppressor; do not exploit the stranger, the orphan, the widow; do no violence; shed no innocent blood in this place. Jer 22:3

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ~ Edmund Burke
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 17:34   #9
dennisw
Area Commander

Warrior, CPA and then police officer. Interesting man. RIP Robert.