Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 04-02-2010, 10:54   #1
afchic
Area Commander

Easy Side Dish for a BBQ

This works best if you have a cast iron dutch oven, but tin foil works as well.

For a family of 4

1 small package (8 oz) of petite carrots
2 packages of "Simply Potatos" with onions or 6 medium baked potatos cubed with the skin left on and 1 small yellow onion cubed
1/4 c butter
salt and pepper to taste

Dump everything in the dutch oven, cover and put on the grill at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes until vegetables are tender.

Ensure you stir once every 15-20 minutes so the veggies don't stick on the bottom.
afchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:01   #2
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by afchic View Post

For a family of 4

2 packages of "Simply Potatos" with onions or 6 medium baked potatos cubed with the skin left on and 1 small yellow onion cubed
1/4 c butter
salt and pepper to taste

Dump everything in the dutch oven, cover and put on the grill at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes until vegetables are tender.

Ensure you stir once every 15-20 minutes so the veggies don't stick on the bottom.
I'm thinking a couple of cloves of garlic and some parsley might help, too...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 14:12   #3
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by afchic View Post

For a family of 4

1/4 c butter
salt and pepper to taste

Did a similar dish for St. Patty's day. Along with Steve's input, I added one cabbage head quartered. I always use skin on potatoes and add some fresh ground cracked black pepper, roasted the veggies about the same way you did. Pretty good side.

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:43   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I got this one Chef.....

It sounds like you enjoy "roasted veggies" but it sounds as if you're "steaming" them in your cooking technique. Many people think that placing a potato wrapped in tinfoil, in the oven is a "baked" potato, nope, it's a "steamed" potato, en papillote comes to mind. You're basically doing the same thing when you use the Dutch oven, your veggies are steaming in their own juices.

Take those same veggies and toss them in a bowl with a bit of olive oil, thyme, rosemary, season with salt and pepper, toss to coat. Dump the veggies on a cookie sheet and throw into the oven 375-400 for about 30-45 minutes. The size of your cuts will determine how long to "roast" them in the oven. This should work on your grill, just make sure you close the grill cover. They are done when fork tender.

If you pace a bit of tinfoil on the bottom of your cookie sheet first theres no cookie sheet clean-up.
Old 04-03-2010, 15:38   #5
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Take those same veggies and toss them in a bowl with a bit of olive oil, thyme, rosemary, season with salt and pepper, toss to coat. Dump the veggies on a cookie sheet and throw into the oven 375-400 for about 30-45 minutes.

If you pace a bit of tinfoil on the bottom of your cookie sheet first theres no cookie sheet clean-up.
Been preparing my veggies this way for years, whether I eat them alone or incorporate them into something else (pasta, etc) and it's the only way to go IMO, really adds a great depth of flavor. Sometimes I use the broiler...

And I use heavy duty tinfoil, seems the "regular" is too thin these days.