Old 11-14-2007, 18:38   #1
Aesop
Asset

WO - 5th SF

Good Day Men,
My father has served with the 5th, and since my ultimate desire is with the 5th I opted for posting it here. If I am out of place please excuse my ignorance, wasn't sure which would be optimal for my circumstances.

I was originally going to apply for 37f to start my way serving and then go from there to SF. My father told me I should only go through the WO program and my MOS in RWA , but if I do that will I have the ability to apply for the SFs? If yes, which would be more beneficial to my end term achievement?

Would also like to add I will be pursuing my higher education while enlisted.

There, think that is as refined as I can get it. Thank you for your time and wisdom.

Travis
Aesop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 20:56   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Travis

If you want to become an 180A you will have to first get through the Q Course as an enlisted soldier and then do well on a team.

First things first. Start with reading.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 21:10   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Wouldn't count on a lot of time for college either.

There is a war going on and we are in the thick of it.

Focus on your 25 meter target.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 23:33   #4
Aesop
Asset

Excuse myself, I didn't ask the right question.

Is going through the testing to go in as an army WCO or applying for 37f make any difference really? Or is it really down to serving as a Soldier first and building on my abilities from there to where they lead me? Pay and conditions aside.

If I have to serve before I go to school that is fine, will only make me a better student.

Last edited by Aesop; 11-14-2007 at 23:51.
Aesop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:07   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesop View Post
Excuse myself, I didn't ask the right question.

Is going through the testing to go in as an army WCO or applying for 37f make any difference really? Or is it really down to serving as a Soldier first and building on my abilities from there to where they lead me? Pay and conditions aside.

If I have to serve before I go to school that is fine, will only make me a better student.
I do not know what a WCO is, but if you were to enter service as a warrant officer, you would not be able to go SF.

We take enlisted and officers into SF. We make some of our enlisted into warrants, only after (as noted above and extensively elsewhere here) they are selected and trained as enlisted and serve honorably in that capacity.

More reading and searching.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:13   #6
Retired W4
Guerrilla

WCO-WOC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesop View Post
Is going through the testing to go in as an army WCO....
He probably meant WOC. Just a wild guess.

Aesop, read carefully what TR and Pete write.
Retired W4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:15   #7
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired W4 View Post
He probably meant WOC. Just a wild guess.

Aesop, read carefully what TR and Pete write.

Chief:

A WOC is what you throw at a Wabbit, es verdad?
Old 02-20-2010, 20:13   #8
T Jerrel
Asset

5th is a good group

I was there in teh earlly 80s.
Pray about it!
T Jerrel is offline   Reply With Quote