Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Latin America

Old 06-11-2008, 22:36   #16
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO View Post
Chavez will continue to provide FARC with the most militarily significant resource; a safe haven where it's troops can R&R and train without COL MIL interference.

Historically FARC has operated in a decentralized manner and in fact, it wasn't until the mid to late 90s where they were able to coordinate operations on a strategic scale. They only operated at that level for about 6-7 year and haven't since Pastrana finally realized he was played the fool and went back into the DMZ.

Uribe will not get a 3rd term. Also there is no military or LE solution to the "total defeat" of FARC. There are too many other factors which impact their ability to function.
I guess Uribe has given them something to think about with the Raul Reyes operation as far as R&R goes. Also, the porous border is a benefit to a few Fronts but is not universally an option. The Southern and Eastern Fronts will be better insulated from the government's CI efforts because of coca revenue and geography, but they are not the whole movement.

I think Santos will get the presidency. But I would still like to see something pulled off with Uribe. That is not an unpopular idea on the ground there.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:05   #17
krod
Quiet Professional

I wouldn't be surprised if Uribe went for a third term... Last week in El tiempo and on AP, Santos stated that if the people want Uribe to have a 3rd term to start pushing it, that it was still an option for him. With his approval rating over 80%, i think its a possibility.
krod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 15:51   #18
FILO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by D9 View Post
I guess Uribe has given them something to think about with the Raul Reyes operation as far as R&R goes. Also, the porous border is a benefit to a few Fronts but is not universally an option. The Southern and Eastern Fronts will be better insulated from the government's CI efforts because of coca revenue and geography, but they are not the whole movement.

I think Santos will get the presidency. But I would still like to see something pulled off with Uribe. That is not an unpopular idea on the ground there.
I also would like to see Uribe for a 3rd term, but, IMO I doubt the political forces will consolidate sufficiently to allow for this to happen. The sharing of power is a strong impulse between the two major political parties, liberals and conservatives, which has it's origins from La Violencia. Thus I can't see the parties choosing to support a 3rd term. The true irony regarding a possible 3rd term lies in the fact that most of the opposition would come from his own party, the liberals, since Uribe has significant conservative support and is opposed by the more radical elements within the liberals.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote