Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 08-17-2013, 04:17   #1
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

Old news...looking for current opinions

Let me start by saying my name is Mike and I am an addict (Firearms are my addiction ). I have read the multiple threads involving various opinions on pistols going back long before I joined the forum, but wanted current opinions specifically on the S&W M&P. I own too many handguns to even count by now, but I still can't pass up a good deal when it comes my way. My go to will always be one of my USP variants or one of my Sigs (I also love all my 1911's despite the flaws, but I'm not taking them to a gunfight......just fun range time). I know how TS/Reaper and many other highly respected QP's feel about 1911's and where S&W's are produced, so I'm ready for the ridicule.

Now after that long winded preface, I'm ready for the opinions. I purchased the M&P for $368 out the door with three high caps after my LEO discount. I have had zero opportunity to get it on the range, so I obviously can't make my own decision on it yet. It's a 9mm 4.25" base model, thankfully with no thumb safety. If I like the way it shoots, it will end up living full time in my vehicle just in case I forget to grab one one of my higher end pistols. If I don't like the way it shoots, or QP's here give it bad reviews it will be sold or traded.

I would normally not ask a question like this, but I have been out of town a lot and don't know when I will get the chance to put a few downrange.

I appreciate any and all input. If anyone wants to comment good or bad, feel free to pm me if you don't want to state your opinion in public.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Last edited by mdpatterson; 08-29-2013 at 05:29. Reason: My brainfart typing Springfield with a S&W box sitting next to me as I typed it.
mdpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:55   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpatterson View Post
Let me start by saying my name is Mike and I am an addict (fFirearms are my addiction ). I have read the multiple threads involving various opinions on pistols going back long before I joined the forum, but wanted current opinions specifically on the Springfield M&P. I own too many handguns to even count by now, but I still can't pass up a good deal when it comes my way. My go to will always be one of my USP variants or one of my Sigs (I also love all my 1911's despite the flaws, but I'm not taking them to a gunfight......just fun range time). I know how TS/Reaper and many other highly respected QP's feel about 1911's and where S&W's are produced, so I'm ready for the ridicule.

Now after that long winded preface, I'm ready for the opinions. I purchased the M&P for $368 out the door with three high caps after my LEO discount. I have had zero opportunity to get it on the range, so I obviously can't make my own decision on it yet. It's a 9mm 4.25" base model, thankfully with no thumb safety. If I like the way it shoots, it will end up living full time in my vehicle just in case I forget to grab one one of my higher end pistols. If I don't like the way it shoots, or QP's here give it bad reviews it will be sold or traded.

I would normally not ask a question like this, but I have been out of town a lot and don't know when I will get the chance to put a few downrange.

I appreciate any and all input. If anyone wants to comment good or bad, feel free to pm me if you don't want to state your opinion in public.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
What is a Springfield M&P?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:12   #3
alelks
Quiet Professional

I think he meant to say Smith and Wesson M&P.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:10   #4
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Now that we've clarified the mix-up. The S&W M&P is a quality Glock alternative. S&W has worked hard to ensure it's competitive with all of the other "tactical Tupperware" because they want the military and LEO markets. They've brought them to Bragg for us to play with several times over the last few years because they were soliciting input to incorporate "just in case" the Army ever comes to its senses and reopens pistol procurement. Each time a couple of us broke out of the office and wasted a morning shooting S&W's ammo. I liked all of the variants they demo'd. Even (especially) the ones with the manual safety. If I ever finish all of the other projects I'm playing with, I'll definitely consider getting a couple. Features wise, they have quite a bit going for them and they're easy to shoot. If my brother ever decides to get full sized pistols for my nieces, I'll recommend he look at them. It helps that S&W has a military/LEO discount (if you know to ask and you go through the program office to buy it) to make the price competitive with Blue Label Glocks. Course all of this is MOO. YMMV. Find a buddy who has one or a range with rentals and shoot it. If you like it, buy it. If you don't - well, now you have your own data points.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 14:29   #5
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

Thanks for the replies so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelks View Post
I think he meant to say Smith and Wesson M&P.
Thanks, that was a bonehead typo on my part. I already purchased the pistol, just have had no chance to get to the range (Again, I just couldn't pass up the deal I got). Thanks again for the input.

Mike
Old 08-19-2013, 04:59   #6
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

Peregrino, got it on the range today and you were spot on.

Just wanted to thank you again for your input, because I almost sold it before I even fired it. Got to the range earlier today and it was well worth the $368 I paid for it. I appreciate you giving me your opinion even after I called it a Springfield (I feel lucky I got any helpful replies after that lol).

Pretty sure I will have a trigger job done and put different sights on it, but other than that, it's another keeper.

Mike
Old 08-19-2013, 07:43   #7
JimP
Quiet Professional

You're going to LOVE the pistol. I took one right out of the box to Rogers Shooting School and it performed well, (I had NOT shot it previously). Since then, I've tossed probably 5-6 thousand rounds down the tube of my fullsize. I put a Warren rear sight on it as well as a fiber optic up front. I also put an Apex tactical Duty/Carry Action enhancement Kit in it. This thing breaks about the closest to a tuned 1911 I have ever shot. I shoot it well and it is my daily carry piece. I liked it so much I also bought the M&P compact for wear in the warmer months where concealment is a bit tighter. I recently picked up two M&P Shields but have not yet taken them to the range for shakeout/familiarization/ammo compatibility nor received the holster I ordered so I cannot yet comment on them. I suspect they will be great and will ultimately be my daily carry. Great lines, thin and good ergonomics.

I like them a LOT better than the Glocks I have carried/worked with.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01   #8
Cake_14N
Guerrilla

I like mine too

This is my EDC. With my supertuck delux, it is nearly invisible beneath a t-shirt.

My issue is I am always 1.5 inches low and to the right of center with each group I fire. Purely my fault, nothing wrong with the pistol. I can hand my M&P to the range officer and watch him drill the center of the target with each triggger pull. So I am sure it is my issue, not the pistol.

Cake
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.—The United States of America Pledge of Allegiance
Cake_14N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:23   #9
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

Anyone used one as a host for a suppressor?

I don't really need another host for a 9mm, but might try it out. Just curious if anyone here has. I have an old Gemtech with the huge L.I.D. just sitting around that may work.

JimP, thanks for the input. I'm getting the Apex put in soon, but still trying to decide on what sights to put on.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 08-20-2013, 22:54   #10
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpatterson View Post
Just wanted to thank you again for your input, because I almost sold it before I even fired it. Got to the range earlier today and it was well worth the $368 I paid for it. I appreciate you giving me your opinion even after I called it a Springfield (I feel lucky I got any helpful replies after that lol).
Whoa! Is that $368 brand new? Mil/LEO pricing?
I'll be darn. With me, it came to the M&P or Glock few years back and the only reason I went w/Glock because it was cheaper and overall best-buy with great service at every GSSF matches. I paid $399 right from the factory. After years of index-finger flexing I finally got the darn thing to shoot as well as my using SIG/HK/1911 but that M&P grip is sure more elliptical/conformed-to-the-hand-with-flexed-finger cross-section just like the 1911 vs the bloody blocky glock grip

Concur with the Apex aftermarket. I tried my friend's and it breaks much crisper than modified gen 4 glock

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 20:46   #11
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

That is brand new LEO/MIL pricing

I am now thinking I might like the Apex FSS and Trigger better.....anyone have any experience with this kit?
Old 08-21-2013, 20:56   #12
alelks
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_14N View Post
This is my EDC. With my supertuck delux, it is nearly invisible beneath a t-shirt.

My issue is I am always 1.5 inches low and to the right of center with each group I fire. Purely my fault, nothing wrong with the pistol. I can hand my M&P to the range officer and watch him drill the center of the target with each triggger pull. So I am sure it is my issue, not the pistol.

Cake

This may help:

correctionchartright.jpg
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:17   #13
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Exclamation ***M&P Shield safety alert***

For those of you with the Shields, you may want to check this out:

M&P Shield safety alert (Smith & Wesson website link)

Quote:
Smith & Wesson has identified a condition where the trigger bar pin could damage the lower trigger in certain M&P Shields in a way that may affect the functionality of the drop safety feature of the firearm, potentially allowing the pistol to discharge if it is dropped.

Any unintended discharge of a firearm has the potential to cause injury, and we ask that you STOP USING YOUR PISTOL IMMEDIATELY UNTIL IT HAS BEEN INSPECTED AND, IF THE CONDITION IS FOUND, REPAIRED.
Quote:
This Safety Alert applies to all M&P Shield pistols manufactured before August 19, 2013. We believe this condition is largely limited to recently manufactured M&P Shield pistols. However, out of an abundance of caution, we are asking all consumers of all M&P Shields manufactured before August 19, 2013 to immediately inspect their pistols for this condition.

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 19:09   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Ah yes, the joys of Smith and Wesson autos.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 20:09   #15
Quietus
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Ah yes, the joys of Smith and Wesson autos.

TR
Those old M39s were real nice: engage safety, and hammer drops a bit too hard ... bang!
Quietus is offline   Reply With Quote