Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO
Ct-NYC area.

Look for Southampton Bavarian Wheat from the Southampton Publick House

http://www.publick.com/

Brooklyner Wiesse from Brooklyn Brewery

http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/

There is also a brewery in CT called City Steam that makes a Weizen but I have not had it so I cannot vouch for it. There is also a brewery in Syracuse IIRC called Empire brewing company that makes a Weizen that is a good one, but I have heard they may not be brewing it any longer.

This is a great time of the year to look for them though. Even though it is a traditional time of the year for Oktober fests & Alts good portion of the brewers will throw on a Hefe for good measure.
brewmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:44   #62
FILO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmonkey
There is also a brewery in CT called City Steam that makes a Weizen but I have not had it so I cannot vouch for it. There is also a brewery in Syracuse IIRC called Empire brewing company that makes a Weizen that is a good one, but I have heard they may not be brewing it any longer.

The Empire Brewery had some very good beers. As you indicated they originated out of Syracuse but subsequently opened up a couple of Brew Pubs in other upstate cities. I used to patronize their brew pub in Rochester and in fact had a very good weizen there one night after a Rochester Red Wing game (AAA baseball). It was one of the very few American weizens that I found that was comparable to the German varieties. Unfortunately they closed their Rochester brew pub, which was located on Lake Avenue across from Kodak Headquarters and the ballpark. Also I don't know if they are still brewing the weizen in their Syracuse pub. However, I have some business up that way next month and I might stop in and check it out.

I appreciate the recommendations and will partake.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:23   #63
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

I was down at my favorite local establishment last night, shooting a game of pool, and a Mr. Paul Wright came in to trade out some kegs. Got to talking to him, as he turns out to be the master brewer down at Island Brewing (a local outfit). I complimented him on my favorite (Island Jubilee) and we chatted for a while about brewing and running the business and everything. I was quite impressed.
Old 10-17-2004, 00:17   #64
Weazle23
Guerrilla

OK, I have to get in on this thread.
It seems Bill and I, both being from the great Pacific Northwest (Tacoma, Wa) have similar tastes in brews. I can vouch for the Moose Drool, as well as Alaskan Amber and Newport's Rogue Dead Guy Ale. I have to add to my list, Fat Tire's Amber Ale and Tacoma's own Puget Sound Porter brewed at the Harmon Brewery and Pub right downtown.

A couple of months ago I arrived here in North Carolina and was very pleasently surprised when I found Red Hook's ESB (a Seattle area company) as well as Windmere's Hefeweisen (Portland, Or) in the local store, however, not found often. It seems the most common beer that passes as "good beer" here IMHO is Killian's Irsih Red, which I definately enjoy, but I miss the varity I commonly found back home. Although, NC has enriched my beer exerience with my new favorite import: England's John Courage, which Iv'e only found at a small bar called The Highlander.

Now I must humbly apologize for mentioning more than 5 brews, but each one had to be named. Now where did I set my beer down...?
Old 10-17-2004, 00:32   #65
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

I have to second the Fat Tire Amber Ale... probably the best mass-market beer I know of. It's been interesting to watch it spread over the last couple years, from being a beer I could only get in Colorado/Nevada, to being available everywhere in the West save, ::sigh::, Santa Barbara.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:47   #66
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Both Red Hook and Widmer have sold large stakes (less then 49%) of their companies to Anheuser Bush in exchange for nationwide distribution on the AB network. Red Hook is ok but their ESB has bit to much diacetyl (buttery notes) for me. Widmer mkes some good beer and I think their Hefe s probably their market leader.

New Belgium (maker of Flat Tire) has some great beers other then the FT. The FT is ok and is probably a good jumping off beer but for those who have been drinking it for years they wil have noticed that it seems to have been dummied down as the popularity of it grew. NBB is also an awesome company and last I heard they were running the brewery on 100% wind power. They also take very good care of their employees and have a VERY LOW turnover rate s well they have a program where they set aside $1 for every barrel of beer they sell (1bbl = 2 kegs). When it comes time to donate that money they have a meeting with the employees who determine where it goes.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:21   #67
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazle23
OK, I have to get in on this thread.
It seems Bill and I, both being from the great Pacific Northwest (Tacoma, Wa) have similar tastes in brews. I can vouch for the Moose Drool, as well as Alaskan Amber and Newport's Rogue Dead Guy Ale. I have to add to my list, Fat Tire's Amber Ale and Tacoma's own Puget Sound Porter brewed at the Harmon Brewery and Pub right downtown.

A couple of months ago I arrived here in North Carolina and was very pleasently surprised when I found Red Hook's ESB (a Seattle area company) as well as Windmere's Hefeweisen (Portland, Or) in the local store, however, not found often. It seems the most common beer that passes as "good beer" here IMHO is Killian's Irsih Red, which I definately enjoy, but I miss the varity I commonly found back home. Although, NC has enriched my beer exerience with my new favorite import: England's John Courage, which Iv'e only found at a small bar called The Highlander.

Now I must humbly apologize for mentioning more than 5 brews, but each one had to be named. Now where did I set my beer down...?
Killians is Coors, IIRC.

Red Hook is on tap in many establishments here.

If it is still open, Bob's Wine Shop/The Office Tavern used to serve the best selection of beer in town.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:57   #68
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Killians is indeed a product brewed by the Coors family as is the "Blue Moon" line of beers.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:37   #69
SP5IC
Quiet Professional

A truely fine beverage

Nothing beats a pint of Guinness draft in any pub in Ireland.
SP5IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:31   #70
Weazle23
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP5IC
Nothing beats a pint of Guinness draft in any pub in Ireland.
That is one experience on my To Do In My Life list.

I was wondering how Windmere and Red Hook got picked up way out here. Makes sense. AB needs to get Pyramid on that distribution list as well.

So Killians is Coors? I'm not familiar with the "Blue Moon" line. What's that like?
Old 10-17-2004, 14:14   #71
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:

I was wondering how Windmere and Red Hook got picked up way out here. Makes sense. AB needs to get Pyramid on that distribution list as well.

So Killians is Coors? I'm not familiar with the "Blue Moon" line. What's that like?

Pyramid is expanding across the states slowly but surely. Blue Moon makes a few different beers but they are most noticed for their Belgian Wit (White) which is another wheat beer except it is generally made with unmalted wheat and has spices like Bitter & Sweet orange peel as well as coriander added during the boil. Better Belgian Wit's would be from Hooegarden in Belgium and some are avialable in the states under the Hooegarden name.
Old 10-17-2004, 14:50   #72
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

I enjoy Blue Moon (hard to find in Cali), but it's not something I could drink every day. It's very smooth and middling sweet, and, for me at least, tastes pretty strongly of blueberries, which I gather are not in the ingredients.

(See, Brewmonkey gave you the technical bits; you get the subjectivity from me.)
Old 10-21-2004, 18:08   #73
Sully
Asset

Quote:

I was wondering how Windmere and Red Hook got picked up way out here...
I've bought Red Hook ESB & IPA at a liquor store here in Japan before. It costs damn near $20 a six-pack though, so it's not a regular - or even irregular - purchase.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote