Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 02-11-2014, 01:00   #91
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Tacoma, WA Harmon Brewing Green Beret Foundation Fundraiser

Harmon Brewing, located in downtown Tacoma, will be holding a Military Appreciation Day on 13 FEB. Fifteen percent of revenue will be donated to the Green Beret Foundation. If they get a good turnout this may become a monthly event. I plan to be there and do my part. Let's make this a success.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harmon Military Appreciation Day 2014.jpg (90.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-25-2014, 00:38   #92
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

I think something good is coming...

to this part of Dallas. I took this pic down along Riverfront Blvd across from Lulu B's Antiques. Any locals know what's coming?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Something good.jpg (50.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-07-2014, 21:56   #93
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Craft beer gift for the veteran in your life?

Do you have a craft beer loving veteran in your life? For a Veterans Day gift I humbly nominate the Arrogant Bastard Box by Stone Brewing. Not an IPA among them so no bitter beer for the non-hopheads. I'm not sure how widely available this is in the U.S., but it is here on the West Coast.
Veterans Day is a time for remembrance, not gift giving. Who says we can't do both?
I picked up a "Bastard Box" today and posted my review here: http://on.fb.me/1uIIJwH BLUF: Great beer and it's best to pour it in a frozen mug so you can read the back of the bottles as you sip.
Old 11-21-2014, 21:19   #94
tonyz
Area Commander

Two beers I've tried recently and recommend:

(1). BACKWOODS BASTARD - Founders Brewing Company

http://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/backwoods-bastard/

(2). KILT FLASHER - Devils Backbone Brewing Company

http://dbbrewingcompany.com/ourbeer.aspx

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 17:50   #95
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Too freshly hopped?

Barhop Brewing—Port Angeles, WA

What happened to the Citrasonic IPA?

Citrasonic IPA made its first appearance in Barhop Brewing’s tap room on Sunday, the same day as my visit. The recipe called for seven days of dry hopping with Citra hops, hence the name. However, as relayed to me by a brewery insider, things did not go as planned. In a nutshell, the brewer FORGOT TO ADD THE HOPS! There was no dry hopping prior to the beer reaching the tap room.

Does a brewer keep his job when something like that happens? When the brewer is the owner’s son-in-law, yes. Do you release your un-dry hopped, dry hopped IPA? When you’re Barhop Brewing, yes you do. Does this explain the unheralded Sunday release of a new beer with nary a mention on the brewery’s website? Perhaps.

How to you retroactively dry hop your un-dry hopped Citrasonic IPA? If you’re Barhop Brewing, you plop a dried Citra hop cone into each glass poured. Does several seconds of dry hopping make up for the lost week? Not really. But a hop cone coming apart in your pint as you drink can make for an embarrassing date-night-green-thing-in-your-teeth moment. It turns out there is such a thing as a too freshly hopped beer.

This IPA just might achieve greatness if someone remembers the hops for the next batch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barhop Brewing too freshly hopped.jpg (38.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-27-2015, 18:45   #96
RichL025
Quiet Professional

Should have tried a Randalizer maybe?

Either way, kind of funny and endearing. Who could imagine an InBev beer being released as an "oopsie"? Bland perfection is demanded....
Old 04-27-2015, 21:05   #97
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL025 View Post
Should have tried a Randalizer maybe?

Either way, kind of funny and endearing. Who could imagine an InBev beer being released as an "oopsie"? Bland perfection is demanded....
I find it very difficult to believe that Barhop Brewing is owned by InBev. There is no distribution that I can discern. The owner still has his day job. This place doesn't even have it's own coasters. InBev acquires breweries that have made a name for themselves, like Seattle's Elysian Brewing. This one may not even be profitable.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:44   #98
booker
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Barhop Brewing—Port Angeles, WA

What happened to the Citrasonic IPA?

Citrasonic IPA made its first appearance in Barhop Brewing’s tap room on Sunday, the same day as my visit. The recipe called for seven days of dry hopping with Citra hops, hence the name. However, as relayed to me by a brewery insider, things did not go as planned. In a nutshell, the brewer FORGOT TO ADD THE HOPS! There was no dry hopping prior to the beer reaching the tap room.

Does a brewer keep his job when something like that happens? When the brewer is the owner’s son-in-law, yes. Do you release your un-dry hopped, dry hopped IPA? When you’re Barhop Brewing, yes you do. Does this explain the unheralded Sunday release of a new beer with nary a mention on the brewery’s website? Perhaps.

How to you retroactively dry hop your un-dry hopped Citrasonic IPA? If you’re Barhop Brewing, you plop a dried Citra hop cone into each glass poured. Does several seconds of dry hopping make up for the lost week? Not really. But a hop cone coming apart in your pint as you drink can make for an embarrassing date-night-green-thing-in-your-teeth moment. It turns out there is such a thing as a too freshly hopped beer.

This IPA just might achieve greatness if someone remembers the hops for the next batch.

Given the relatively small list of ingredients required to make superb beer, this is a travesty. To then try to cover it by putting a single hop in the glass - absurd. Making an IPA is simple, making a great IPA is something that most brewers will never do, Barhop brewing included.
Old 04-28-2015, 16:56   #99
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker View Post
Given the relatively small list of ingredients required to make superb beer, this is a travesty. To then try to cover it by putting a single hop in the glass - absurd. Making an IPA is simple, making a great IPA is something that most brewers will never do, Barhop brewing included.
They didn't forget all the hops...just the dried hop cones they'd purchased to justify calling it Citrasonic. Doh!
Old 06-24-2015, 18:23   #100
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Hoppy Beers Cause Man Boobs

Lies! Pure macro brew propaganda! Hey, my eyes are up here.

http://bit.ly/1IyJkmu

HOPPY BEERS CAUSE MAN BOOBS: REPORT

HERBALIST WARNS ABOUT PLANT ESTROGEN THAT GIVES HOPS ITS FLAVOR

By Neal Colgrass, Newser Staff
Posted Jun 21, 2015 5:00 PM CDT

(NEWSER) – Guys, this is for you: Hoppy beers contain a plant estrogen that may cause feminine attributes, including man boobs. According to author and herbalist Stephen Buhner, hops are "female flowers of the hop plant" that contain serious amounts of phytoestrogen, a plant estrogen that women have used as an herbal medicine, Fox News reports. That's why gals have taken hops to ease menopause and boost milk production, among other things, Vice notes in an article about Buhner's work. "Yes, you read that right: Hops are giving men man boobs," says Vice.

Fox notes that India Pale Ale is heavy on hops, and craft brewers use 400% to 500% more hops than the typical big-name beer. But not everyone is buying the theory: "I'm inclined to think that the man boobs are more the result of the high number of calories commonly found in hoppy (high alcohol) beers," reads a comment in the Vice article. Another notes that hop content in "a 5-gallon batch of beer—let alone a single beer—is infinitesimal." As if man-boob fear isn't enough, both articles also refer to "brewer's droop," or male infertility caused by beer—which can last for a year after heavy drinkers stop guzzling, the Telegraph reported two years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hoppy-beers-cause-man-boobs-report.jpg (50.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-27-2015, 18:33   #101
zuluzerosix
Guerrilla

DR Jekyll's

This is Dr Jekyll's Craft Beer.

This company was founded by my Lieutenant (and West Pointer) back when I was in the 82nd. He just launched the company. The beer is being brewed in Mendocino County, CA. It can be found mostly in Southern California at Whole Foods and other markets. It's really good.

http://www.drjekylls.com/

Aside from the beer, this guy was the best LT we ever had. He went really outside the box. We considered him a Bad MF'er. We really like him alot. Our PLT SGT was an Old Scroll Ranger who had served in C Company Rangers back in VN. Our platoon was really full of ourselves back then. We were really lucky to have them.

Now the LT is making beer.
Old 04-17-2016, 20:47   #102
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

The Crowler

Until I walked into the Southern Pines Brewing Company on Friday I had never heard of the Crowler. Think of it as the love child of a beer can and a growler, hence the name. Rather than explain it, check out the video we made. I couldn't link directly to the video, but it is the first thing on the FB page.

http://bit.ly/1Vx9PnX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Crowler.jpg (114.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:33   #103
Razor
Quiet Professional

A local microbrewery here in town sells 32 oz. crowlers. I hadn't heard of them either until I took a few home last fall. "No honey, I only had one beer--honest!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crowler.jpg (28.5 KB, 15 views)
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote