Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > Mindset

Old 09-29-2014, 08:43   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

The Difference Between Rangers and Special Forces

This is not the typical "d**k measuring" piece one might expect from the title, but a pretty good example to ponder and remember.

Richard

http://sofrep.com/18406/the-differen...pecial-forces/
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:23   #2
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Yep, that 18X got it and he pulled victory out of the jaws of defeat.
Old 09-29-2014, 15:45   #3
PRB
Quiet Professional

Good little article.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 19:00   #4
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
This is not the typical "d**k measuring" piece one might expect from the title, but a pretty good example to ponder and remember.

Richard

Being a short tab and long tab guy, I guess I'm bi-polar as well ....

Nonetheless, the article is a striking example of some of the differences ... unfortunately, with our DA mission capability, the lines have been blurred ... and in some cases some of us have lost sight of our 'bread and butter' mission -- UW.

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 19:43   #5
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
Being a short tab and long tab guy, I guess I'm bi-polar as well ....

Nonetheless, the article is a striking example of some of the differences ... unfortunately, with our DA mission capability, the lines have been blurred ... and in some cases some of us have lost sight of our 'bread and butter' mission -- UW.

I don't think guys at the ODA level lost their way.....you go with what you are given.
I watched ODA's doing good stuff with Afghans even when their mission was over focused.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 23:51   #6
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I don't think guys at the ODA level lost their way.....you go with what you are given.
I watched ODA's doing good stuff with Afghans even when their mission was over focused.
PRB, I'd love to believe that, but from what I've read on this site in other threads, too many times it's DA this and DA that ... that's the problem with 'what you are given' ... the head shed, reacting to the times has, in my estimation, begun to de-emphasize UW in favor of DA, if only to maintain a share of the spec ops pie.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:10   #7
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I agree with you! I also have Short Tab Long Tab Syndrome and I view them as assets, not holding me back.

DA can fall under UW. You don't disrupt services with UW. You do it with DA in a UW environment. Knowing how to conduct DA is an asset that many don't have! Yes the 18x pulled a great idea but did he have security or support for the assault team or did he just pull a "I saw this on TV"?

UW is an environment as is FID. These are also mission sets. Within those mission sets are DA, SR, CT, etc. Yes those missions can also be stand alone unilateral missions, but in UW and FID, you have to train your G's to conduct DA to be effective in the UW environment.

Afghanistan was a UW mission at the beginning and quickly changed to FID. Inside the FID mission, there is also DA. We pulled some daring DA missions to kill or capture facilitators within the Kandahar AOR using our indigenous forces. Zero fatalities with several bad guys being brought in.

UW was not a single game in town, unless HUMINT operations are now called UW? As PBR stated you work with what you are handed.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:58   #8
Trappertod
Asset

Article

That article was a good read, sometimes after doing something a certain way for so long it is hard to think outside of the box. From my reading that is what SF is all about. Thanks for sharing.
Trappertod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:13   #9
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
I agree with you! I also have Short Tab Long Tab Syndrome and I view them as assets, not holding me back.

DA can fall under UW. You don't disrupt services with UW. You do it with DA in a UW environment. Knowing how to conduct DA is an asset that many don't have! Yes the 18x pulled a great idea but did he have security or support for the assault team or did he just pull a "I saw this on TV"?

UW is an environment as is FID. These are also mission sets. Within those mission sets are DA, SR, CT, etc. Yes those missions can also be stand alone unilateral missions, but in UW and FID, you have to train your G's to conduct DA to be effective in the UW environment.

Afghanistan was a UW mission at the beginning and quickly changed to FID. Inside the FID mission, there is also DA. We pulled some daring DA missions to kill or capture facilitators within the Kandahar AOR using our indigenous forces. Zero fatalities with several bad guys being brought in.

UW was not a single game in town, unless HUMINT operations are now called UW? As PBR stated you work with what you are handed.
Excellent points; I agree. My statements were centered on DA as a unilateral mission; of course, if you are to be successful in the UW environment you should, but not necessarily must, be able to perform DA missions as a component of the UW mission. I include the caveat because in at least one 'situation' I was asked to respond to (pre-911 -- after I retired but because of my SF background while working for the FBI on a task force, by a third world party), non-attributable sabotage and other clandestine ops were the options available due to the stranglehold the enemy had over the population. Needless to say, they didn't like my advice that would have them doing that for fifteen to twenty years before engaging with guerrilla forces.

Last edited by UWOA (RIP); 10-01-2014 at 08:46.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:36   #10
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
Needless to say, they didn't like my advice that would have them doing that for fifteen to twenty years before engaging with guerrilla forces.

I think that is an excellent point too. UW is a strategic goal, that has to be emplemnted at the national level. It's "The Long Con". At this moment in time (since Reagan), I don't think national leadership can think past the ends of their noses. They don't see the value of UW or that it is too risky (I won't go into the SF maturity level thing as we have beaten that to death elsewhere).

The roots that we need to get back to are secrecy and I'm not talking about being on CNN with a great big bushy beard and saying your name is SFC Steve (last name omitted to make yourself tacticool). I'm talking NO press. No mention of missions. Interviews at USASOC level only, that tell the world nothing.

I got to do things in places (non-combat places) that I thought were really cool and it was never talked about, barely in the team room! You could say possibly UW related you could even say possibly DA related. The point being was that it was real and we felt like THIS IS WHAT SF IS ABOUT!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
Old 10-01-2014, 08:14   #11
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Post meant for another thread....

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 10-01-2014 at 10:53.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:47   #12
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

I was just thinking (I know that's dangerous for me) that of so many places in the world, we should have a UW plan happening in Kurdistan. Teams in there on the low down supplying training and weapons. We have failed those people SO MANY times and they are the "Yards" of the Middle East! They are smack in the middle of this entire ISIS thing. They are the future of that area for US interests and we are blowing it....again (for like a third time).
Old 10-08-2014, 17:49   #13
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
I was just thinking (I know that's dangerous for me) that of so many places in the world, we should have a UW plan happening in Kurdistan. Teams in there on the low down supplying training and weapons. We have failed those people SO MANY times and they are the "Yards" of the Middle East! They are smack in the middle of this entire ISIS thing. They are the future of that area for US interests and we are blowing it....again (for like a third time).
We have the beginnings of UW in every country by the nature of what we do. You are right the Kurds would be an ideal G-force unfortunately by watching the situation develop we have leaders chompin at the bit to get their piece of the pie just like the 2 previous times and I suspect we will see the balance of power in the region shift towards an even worse situation. Too bad our leaders lack to patience, with UW we could assist the situation to develop more naturally with a more permanent solution favorable to US interest.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 18:00   #14
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Richard

Ironically enough many of the SF guys working here in the Q-course have the exact thought process of the Ranger and preach DA, kill them all let god sort them out. It also seems everyone up the COC love these guys hence promotions into E8's etc....I hope the X-ray is a sign of the changing of the GWOT mindset that has damaged our UW capabilities.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 20:18   #15
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

LEADERSHIP ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
We have the beginnings of UW in every country by the nature of what we do. You are right the Kurds would be an ideal G-force unfortunately by watching the situation develop we have leaders chompin at the bit to get their piece of the pie just like the 2 previous times and I suspect we will see the balance of power in the region shift towards an even worse situation. Too bad our leaders lack to patience, with UW we could assist the situation to develop more naturally with a more permanent solution favorable to US interest.
The U S A needs a war time CONSULARE, not a community organizer without a plan???? Remember to VOTE RIGHT on NOV. 4, 2014. Tom Kelly