Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > Mindset

Old 05-25-2010, 22:40   #1
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote of the Day

Feel free to contribute, remember the main topic of this thread.

Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it!
Ella WIlliams

The greatest discovery of our generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind. As you think, so shall you be.
William James

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"

Last edited by Snaquebite; 05-25-2010 at 22:44.
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 23:45   #2
Richard
Quiet Professional

In my view, far from deserving condemnation for their courageous reporting, the New York Times, the Washington Post and other newspapers should be commended for serving the purpose that the Founding Fathers saw so clearly. – Hugo Black
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:29   #3
Big Boss
SF Candidate

If God sends us on strong paths, we are provided strong shoes.
Corrie TenBoom
Old 05-26-2010, 08:59   #4
steel_eel
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
The greatest discovery of our generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind. As you think, so shall you be.
William James
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it, for that determines our success or failure."
-Norman Vincent Peale
steel_eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:02   #5
Snaquebite
Area Commander

I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

- Thomas Jefferson

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:35   #6
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Stupid is as stupid does............ Sally Field,Forest Gump
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:36   #7
orion5
Guerrilla Chief

Si ventus non est, remiga. If there is no wind, row.
orion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 19:25   #8
bandycpa
Guerrilla Chief

"Critics are men who sit and watch a battle from a high place and come down to shoot the survivors." – Ernest Hemingway
Old 07-26-2010, 20:36   #9
Sdiver
Area Commander

Although he had many great quotes, I think these are appropriate for this site.

Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 21:17   #10
forward
Asset

Common but a classic nonetheless:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt, April 23, 1910

and one from an amazing human being:

“The last of human freedoms - the ability to chose one's attitude in a given set of circumstances.” -Viktor Frankl

V/r,

Forward
Old 07-27-2010, 06:20   #11
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
William James
"You can't change the wind, but you can always adjust the sails" - Unknown Author
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:44   #12
Nightfall
Guerrilla

Haven't seen one in a while, so...

"He impaired his vision by holding the object too close. He might see, perhaps, one or two points with unusual clearness, but in so doing he, necessarily, lost sight of the matter as a whole. Thus there is such a thing as being too profound. Truth is not always in a well. In fact, as regards the more important knowledge, I do believe that she is invariably superficial. The depth lies in the valleys where we seek her, and not upon the mountain-tops where she is found." - E. A. Poe
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:54   #13
Richard
Quiet Professional

...there are some things that can beat smartness and foresight. Awkwardness and stupidity can. The best swordsman in the world doesn't need to fear the second best swordsman in the world; no, the person for him to be afraid of is some ignorant antagonist who has never had a sword in his hand before; he doesn't do the thing he ought to do, and so the expert isn't prepared for him.

- Mark Twain, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:12   #14
Bordercop
Guerrilla

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

P. J. O'Rourke

Perge Sed Caute

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same - Ronald Reagan

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month - Theodore Roosevelt

We herd sheep, we drive cattle, and we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way - George S. Patton
Bordercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:44   #15
Tatonka316
Gold Star Father

"The path to my fixed purpose is laid on iron rails in which my soul is grooved to ride." Herman Melvile, Moby Dick

molon labe
Tatonka316 is offline   Reply With Quote