Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 07-19-2020, 10:36   #16
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Thanks for the advice concerning Gatorade type drinks, no more of those for me. Is the lemon or lime juice just for flavor or is it also beneficial? I have to plead ignorant when it comes to balanced nutrition, I will work on that. The only symptoms of dehydration I ever have are the cramps, no headaches or light headedness . Thank you to all who have added their thoughts.
The lemon is mostly for flavor but it does have vit C and other micro nutrients.

Also look into Trace minerals to add to your water this product is expensive but it lasts a long time. Probably similar to the “liquid IV” products. We used this bc we use RO water, to clean the tap water. It mimics mineral water. You can get it at Vitacost (it is on sale as of the time of this post)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5BCA0685-080B-40F9-8014-89C05C173479.jpeg (27.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 6ED2DB9F-34A1-4452-AD5F-7E8E734F9E7B.jpg (42.6 KB, 19 views)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:12   #17
Abu Jack
Quiet Professional

Pickle Juice is my go to for immediate relief. After bicycle races here in the Florida heat, I've woken up screaming from cramps on the inside of my thighs. My wife know to run for the pickle juice. 2 oz usually does it.

"nobody understands Thomas except Thomas," Rudyard Kipling, Soldiers Three
Abu Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 15:38   #18
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Jack View Post
Pickle Juice is my go to for immediate relief. After bicycle races here in the Florida heat, I've woken up screaming from cramps on the inside of my thighs. My wife know to run for the pickle juice. 2 oz usually does it.
I had never heard that so I read an article about pickle juice for cramps.
Quote:
Pickle Juice for Cramps: Does It Work?

Pickle juice has become a popular remedy for leg cramps over the years — specifically for the cramps runners and athletes get after a workout.

Some athletes swear by it, attesting that pickle juice really works. Still, the science behind it is unclear.

On the one hand, skeptics have doubted that pickle juice works for leg cramps at all. There’s no solid scientific reason yet proving how it works, so some write it off as a placebo effect.

On the other hand, some research suggests that pickle juice is way more effective than a placebo. However, it’s still unclear why.

One long-standing theory for how pickle juice works is its sodium content. The juice contains salt and vinegar, which may help replenish electrolytes. But is this actually true?

Keep reading to learn more.

Does it actually work?

Because pickle juice is such a widely used remedy for leg cramps in the sports world, there’s been some research and studies investigating its effects — though not much.

Very few studies fully explain or prove how it works. Nor do they explain how it doesn’t work, or how it’s just a placebo effect. To date, the efficacy of pickle juice is still uncertain.

Some have theorized that pickle juice’s electrolytes prevent leg cramps after exercise — but one study in 2014 debunked this.

After checking blood plasma levels of nine healthy men for signs of increased electrolytes following consumption of pickle juice after exercise, researchers found that electrolyte levels remained the same.

They also stayed level no matter what the study participants drank: water, sports drinks, or pickle juice. This is because it takes a lot longer for electrolytes to be fully absorbed into the body, and long after a muscle cramp would come and go.

The same set of researchers also did a test on pickle juice for cramps earlier in 2010. They found that it did work to shorten cramp duration. On average, it relieved cramps in about 1.5 minutes, and 45 percent faster than when nothing was taken after exercise.

Cramp relief also had nothing to do with placebo effect. This led to the more intense exploration of pickle juice’s effects on electrolyte levels later in 2014.

How to use pickle juice for cramps

In studies where pickle juice was effective for muscular cramps, researchers used about 1 milliliter per kilogram of body weight. For the average study participant, this was somewhere between 2 to 3 fluid ounces.

To use pickle juice for muscular cramps, measure out the pickle juice and drink it quickly. Taking a rough “shot” is also acceptable.

You can use pickle juice from store-bought cucumber pickles or safely fermented homemade pickles, if you desire. Make sure the natural vinegar acids and salts are present. It also doesn’t matter if the pickle juice was pasteurized or not.

Because it’s thought that cramp relief comes from the vinegar specifically, avoid watering the juice down. Drink it raw and experience the taste. However, this may be difficult for some people who don’t enjoy the taste so much.

The science behind why it works

While it hasn’t been proven yet, researchers posit that pickle juice may help cramps by triggering muscular reflexes when the liquid contacts the back of the throat.

This reflex shuts down the misfiring of neurons in muscle all over the body, and “turns off” the cramping feeling. It’s thought that it’s specifically the vinegar content in pickle juice that does this.

Still, more research is needed to prove if this is exactly how pickle juice works to prevent cramps. While there are no studies proving that pickle juice doesn’t work, or that it’s a placebo, more research supports that it does indeed work by this mechanism.

Does it have to be pickle juice?

Over time, pickle juice has been unique and popular in the way it helps with muscle cramps. Thus far, there haven’t been many other natural foods or remedies to rival it.

Foods of a similar vein haven’t been studied as much as pickle juice for cramps. But they could be just as good.

Could you eat a pickle and have the same effect? Scientifically speaking, maybe.

As researchers supposed in 2010, the cramp relief may have more to do with the vinegar content. If you eat a pickle brined with vinegar, it might also work.

However, eating a pickle isn’t as well-studied as pickle juice.

What about other similar fermented products? Liquids like sauerkraut juice, kimchi juice, apple cider vinegar, and even kombucha are similar to pickle juice. Some have both vinegar and salt content, while others have just vinegar content.

Following the vinegar theory, these may also work. They just haven’t been studied or tested like pickle juice has.

There’s no harm in giving them a try if you consider any of the possible side effects beforehand.

What should I know before using pickle juice?

Some doctors and health professionals warn that pickle juice could possibly worsen dehydration. They say it curbs thirst when you drink it, but doesn’t rehydrate like water.

According to both the 2010 and 2014 studies, this isn’t true. Pickle juice won’t dehydrate you, and it doesn’t curb thirst. It’ll also rehydrate you just as much as water, another similar study in 2013 suggests.

If small amounts are taken — such as 2 to 3 fluid ounces occasionally — there should be little to no health or dehydration concerns.

Pickle juice tends to have a lot of salt, and is thus high in sodium. People with high blood pressure and those who are watching dietary sodium may want to be careful not to take too much pickle juice and use it only occasionally.

Pickles, especially homemade, have high levels of probiotics for gut health and immune system function.

Be careful taking it if you have digestive ailments or disorders. Some pickle juices are high in acetic acids, which can worsen certain symptoms. There are also some other possible side effects, too.

The bottom line

The verdict thus far is that pickle juice can work for leg cramps after exercise. Though there isn’t a whole lot of research on it, the studies so far are quite supportive.

Use of pickle juice to occasionally get rid of cramps post-exercise should also generally be quite safe. If you have any concerns, talk to your healthcare provider before using it.
My grandfather taught me the lemon juice squirt to the back of the throat to stop hiccups thing, it works every time for me, so I could see how this would do something similar. While it stops the spasm, the underlying problem is dehydration and electrolyte deficiency.

Keep hydrated my friends!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
Old 07-19-2020, 17:25   #19
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
The lemon is mostly for flavor but it does have vit C and other micro nutrients.

Also look into Trace minerals to add to your water this product is expensive but it lasts a long time. Probably similar to the “liquid IV” products. We used this bc we use RO water, to clean the tap water. It mimics mineral water. You can get it at Vitacost (it is on sale as of the time of this post)
Leaning towards the drops, lots of positive reviews out there for them. Great info thanks. BTW I do the pickle juice but do not get immediate effect as some do.
Old 07-19-2020, 20:58   #20
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Jack View Post
I read this post this morning. Then, this afternoon, we were watching The Last Alaskans S1 E7, and Heimo Korth drank pickle juice just after he got up because of his aching back.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:30   #21
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It is hot here and I do a lot of work outside not because I have to but because I enjoy working outside. I sweat like crazy I will change t shirts at least 3 times a day and completely soak through my jeans or shorts. At a minimum I drink at least one gallon of liquids throughout the day. I have a home made gatorade concoction that I drink also. A gallon of it has 2 tsp's of salt , 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup corn syrup, 2 Tblsp lemon juice and a sugar free flavoring. I drink at least 1/2 gal. of this a day. At night I have also been drinking a cup of pickle juice, I heard this was good for curing cramps.

While working I am fine but at the end of the day I will eventually begin to get cramps everywhere. Tonight my wife had to cut my steak for me because my hands kept cramping up. From head to toe I cramp up, The leg cramps can particularly be very painful and last quite awhile.

Am I not getting enough salt to replenish my losses during the day? Are there foods I should be eating more of that would help? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Some excellent advice here, esp. Miclo18D Some simple key indicators to evaluate hydration status:

1. Input = Output monitor urine output every 4 h and adjust intake accordingly.
2. Color- Urine should be straw colored and ~ 1 pint every 4 hours. If dark, drink more water. If clear, drink less water.
3. Take 2 salt tabs, eat 1 bannana and drink 1/2 canteen (1 pint) water every 4 hours.
4. Quit whining, ruck-up and press-on soldier!
Old 07-29-2020, 13:21   #22
cbtengr
Area Commander

Cramping update

Last two days back outside getting physical, sweating as usual. First day by the end of 6 hours I had had enough, arms and hands were cramping up pretty good. When I got home I had 3 doses of the Drip Drops over a 1.5 hr. period and ate some muskmelon which is a good source of potassium. Cramping finally settled down.

I have been adding Trace Mineral Drops to my water for the past 6 days and trying to up my magnesium intake by eating cashews.

Today I worked 4 hours before calling it quits, in a five hour period I drank 3 qts. of water and never urinated once. Cramping was bad when I got home so I had a dose of Drip Drops and some pickle juice which seemed to help eventually. I did go into my Drs. and got a blood draw when the cramping was going on, hopefully the results will provide some info as to what is going on. I have been a hard worker my whole life and do not wish to change that any time soon. Thank you for all the replies!
Old 07-29-2020, 18:00   #23
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
I did go into my Drs. and got a blood draw when the cramping was going on, hopefully the results will provide some info as to what is going on. I have been a hard worker my whole life and do not wish to change that any time soon. Thank you for all the replies!
I'm really glad to read you went to the doc, I hope they figure this out and you can get back to it! Your work is so important but your heath is paramount. All the best.
Old 07-29-2020, 19:23   #24
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
I'm really glad to read you went to the doc, I hope they figure this out and you can get back to it! Your work is so important but your heath is paramount. All the best.
Thanks! I am gonna post what the doc said about my results. You know the trouble with youth is that it is wasted on the young. LOL!
Old 07-29-2020, 19:26   #25
cbtengr
Area Commander

Blood work up

Potassium 4.8 Magnesium 2.1, Doc was pleased with my Electrolytes but says my kidney function is down. He says drink more water. Kinda frustrating.
Old 07-29-2020, 20:51   #26
7624U
Quiet Professional

If you have the ability to submerge your hands or better arms in cold water every 30-45min for only around 5 min it may help during the day, but won't do any good post work out. It just cools the blood for the rest of the body to help it out.

Different people regulate body temperature differently if yours is getting very high this might also cause some of the cramping and problems with the kidney.

Heat illness and hyperthermia can cause a number of injuries to the kidney including dehydration, low blood flow injury due to low blood pressure, high blood potassium, accumulation of acid in the body and clogging the kidneys with muscle proteins (myoglobin) that can be produced in excess during heat illness. As body temperature increase, a number of bad things happen to circulation and body metabolism that can lead to kidney injury.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 21:19   #27
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Also, what is your age range? And this IS cramping and not arthritis, correct? My father-in-law had rheumatoid arthritis and it was “cramp” like in his hands.

Sometimes we get to the point where our bodies change and we get upset that “we used to do this all the time” (I just found out I can’t even do 1 pull up anymore, I’m working out again, so I know I’ll get there, but boy, what a wake up call!)

You may have reached the point where you can’t stay out in the heat, working, for extended periods of time.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:05   #28
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
Also, what is your age range? And this IS cramping and not arthritis, correct? My father-in-law had rheumatoid arthritis and it was “cramp” like in his hands.

Sometimes we get to the point where our bodies change and we get upset that “we used to do this all the time” (I just found out I can’t even do 1 pull up anymore, I’m working out again, so I know I’ll get there, but boy, what a wake up call!)

You may have reached the point where you can’t stay out in the heat, working, for extended periods of time.
I am 64, these are cramps and they are all over the place. I cannot say that I am upset about this, just frustrated. I had a doctor once tell me you know you wake up one day and discover that you have gotten old. I shall pace myself and I appreciate all the replies.

7642U Thanks for weighing in, I have had heat exhaustion once 45 years ago at Ft Campbell I remember getting fatigued and then the next thing I recall getting put on a Huey for a trip to the hospital. I try to remain cognizant of my condition during the day. Time to lighten the load a bit I guess.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:25   #29
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Time to lighten the load a bit I guess.
My doc likened it to "you don't have a 426 Hemi anymore so stop trying to do the same stuff with a single-carb six." Learning this pacing business is a tough thing.
Best of luck with it.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:04   #30
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
I am 64, these are cramps and they are all over the place. I cannot say that I am upset about this, just frustrated. I had a doctor once tell me you know you wake up one day and discover that you have gotten old. I shall pace myself and I appreciate all the replies.

There is a long trail between the early years and the present.
It sneaks up on all of us

Stay hydrated & work smart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966_JCJ_HP 2.jpg (188.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 94197481_10214783677419168_6157872746043801600_n.jpg (56.5 KB, 20 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote