Lan- What sort of spices?
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:52   #542
Lan
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Lan- What sort of spices?
Just store bought taco seasoning and garlic powder to taste.
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 14:22   #543
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Thanks, sounds good. I will have to give that a try next Mexican night...
Old 02-06-2014, 14:46   #544
Lan
Guerrilla Chief

No problem!
Old 02-08-2014, 18:42   #545
mangler
Auxiliary

Homemade Chili tonight. My recipe is pretty simple really.

Pork chorizo
beef kelbasa
beef roast
onion
garlic
jalepenos
celery
kidney beans

I put the roast in the smoker and smoke it at 225 for a few hours then pull it and let it rest. While it's resting I dice up the onion, jalepenos, and garlic. Throw all that in the pot and caramelize it. In a separate pan cook the chorizo then add it to the pot. Throw in the kelbasa to the pan and fry it for a bit then add it to the pot. Slice up the roast into bite size pieces and throw it in the pot. Add the kidney beans, juice and all, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for a couple hours.

I will add salt and pepper to taste after it's simmered for a couple hours, usually I don't put any salt in, just a little pepper. The chorizo seems to take care of the need for salt and pepper for me.
mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:20   #546
Lan
Guerrilla Chief

That sounds really good mangler!

I took a chance at Costco the other day and bought some jalapeño bacon. IMO, it isn't better than bacon, it's different, but perfect, like bacon. Cooked the bacon, drained the drippings in a cup for later use, scrambled some eggs with what was left in the pan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-11-2014, 20:58   #547
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Fun with leftovers

So I didn't feel like fighting my way through the madhouse at the grocery store. I mean seriously folks! They were fighting over the last bag of premade salad greens. People in Atlanta just don't get the weather...anyhow, I went foraging in the fridge and found some stuff and this is the result. I give you something in between Shepherd's Pie and a Beef Pot Pie. I shall call it Shepherd's Pot Pie...

Serves 6-8

4 oz (2) Carrots, 1/4" dice
16 oz (2) medium Russet Potato (or other mealy potato), 1/4" dice for fast cooking
4 oz milk
2 oz (2 stalks, green part only) celery, 1/8" slices
8 oz (2 small or 1 medium) white onion, 1/4" dice
1/2 oz Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 lb Ground Beef
2 Puff Pastry Sheet (thawed)
16 oz Beef Stock, heated
10.5 oz (1 bottle) Guiness, room temperature
1 Tbsp Basil, Fresh, Chopped or Chiffonade
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil for saute (about 1-2 oz is more than enough)

Cook the potatoes in enough boiling water to cover them, about 15 minutes. They should be soft enough to mash. If you use beef stock instead of water, the flavor will be better. When done cooking, add the milk (or substitute half and half for richer potatoes) and use a hand blender to whip them into mashed potatoes. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.

Preheat the oven to 375 F
Place the puff pastry sheets in two 9" pie tins, you may need to roll them out once to get them wide enough. Use a fork to pierce the bottom to allow steam to escape. Trim the pastry leaving an overhang of 1/2" past the lip of the tins. Cover with parchment paper and place pie weights or dried beans on the parchment to keep the pastry from bubbling. You can also use another pie tin, but if it's too snug it will defeat the purpose. Par bake the pastry for about 10 minutes until the pastry puffs up, but hasn't browned yet. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Lower the oven temp to 350 F

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet at medium-medium high heat until ripples appear. Add the carrot and celery and sweat for about 3 minutes, add the onion and garlic. Sweat until the onions start to turn translucent. Turn the heat to medium high almost all the way up and add the ground beef. Cook until the beef no longer has any visible red spots (pink is OK). Drain the excess fat from the pan. Deglaze the pan with all of the guiness. Bring it to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Continue to cook stirring regularly until the guiness is nearly gone, about 15 minutes. Add the beef stock to the mix and bring back to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the liquid has reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with Salt, Pepper and Onion Powder.

Use a slotted spoon to remove the beef from the pan, allowing it to drain through the slots back into the pan. Place the beef into the two pastries, divided evenly and top with mashed potatoes, spreading the potatoes to the rim of the pastry. Bake 15 minutes until potatoes are beginning to dry at the edges and the edge of the pastry is golden brown.

Meanwhile continue to simmer the sauce in the pan until it reaches the desired consistency. Strain and hold the sauce over low heat.

When the pies are done baking, finish the sauce with a little butter (just a pat will do), cut the pies to the desired size pieces and place on the plate. Drizzle with the sauce and sprinkle the basil on top.

*Note, I would have added green peas, but I didn't have any on hand. about 2oz should be right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shepherd1.jpg (98.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Shepherd2.jpg (139.1 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by (1VB)compforce; 02-11-2014 at 21:02.
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:29   #548
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by (1VB)compforce View Post
So I didn't feel like fighting my way through the madhouse at the grocery store. I mean seriously folks! They were fighting over the last bag of premade salad greens. People in Atlanta just don't get the weather...anyhow, I went foraging in the fridge and found some stuff and this is the result. I give you something in between Shepherd's Pie and a Beef Pot Pie. I shall call it Shepherd's Pot Pie...

Serves 6-8

4 oz (2) Carrots, 1/4" dice
16 oz (2) medium Russet Potato (or other mealy potato), 1/4" dice for fast cooking
4 oz milk
2 oz (2 stalks, green part only) celery, 1/8" slices
8 oz (2 small or 1 medium) white onion, 1/4" dice
1/2 oz Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 lb Ground Beef
2 Puff Pastry Sheet (thawed)
16 oz Beef Stock, heated
10.5 oz (1 bottle) Guiness, room temperature
1 Tbsp Basil, Fresh, Chopped or Chiffonade
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil for saute (about 1-2 oz is more than enough)

Cook the potatoes in enough boiling water to cover them, about 15 minutes. They should be soft enough to mash. If you use beef stock instead of water, the flavor will be better. When done cooking, add the milk (or substitute half and half for richer potatoes) and use a hand blender to whip them into mashed potatoes. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.

Preheat the oven to 375 F
Place the puff pastry sheets in two 9" pie tins, you may need to roll them out once to get them wide enough. Use a fork to pierce the bottom to allow steam to escape. Trim the pastry leaving an overhang of 1/2" past the lip of the tins. Cover with parchment paper and place pie weights or dried beans on the parchment to keep the pastry from bubbling. You can also use another pie tin, but if it's too snug it will defeat the purpose. Par bake the pastry for about 10 minutes until the pastry puffs up, but hasn't browned yet. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Lower the oven temp to 350 F

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet at medium-medium high heat until ripples appear. Add the carrot and celery and sweat for about 3 minutes, add the onion and garlic. Sweat until the onions start to turn translucent. Turn the heat to medium high almost all the way up and add the ground beef. Cook until the beef no longer has any visible red spots (pink is OK). Drain the excess fat from the pan. Deglaze the pan with all of the guiness. Bring it to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Continue to cook stirring regularly until the guiness is nearly gone, about 15 minutes. Add the beef stock to the mix and bring back to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the liquid has reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with Salt, Pepper and Onion Powder.

Use a slotted spoon to remove the beef from the pan, allowing it to drain through the slots back into the pan. Place the beef into the two pastries, divided evenly and top with mashed potatoes, spreading the potatoes to the rim of the pastry. Bake 15 minutes until potatoes are beginning to dry at the edges and the edge of the pastry is golden brown.

Meanwhile continue to simmer the sauce in the pan until it reaches the desired consistency. Strain and hold the sauce over low heat.

When the pies are done baking, finish the sauce with a little butter (just a pat will do), cut the pies to the desired size pieces and place on the plate. Drizzle with the sauce and sprinkle the basil on top.

*Note, I would have added green peas, but I didn't have any on hand. about 2oz should be right
You've been "Chopped".......
Old 02-12-2014, 10:56   #549
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
You've been "Chopped".......
Errr... Why? Feedback please!
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:20   #550
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by (1VB)compforce View Post
Errr... Why? Feedback please!
Your potatoes were bland and not treated with respect, butter & cream would have helped as would have cheese. They were also over cooked and watery. Your mix of onion, carrots and celery were way off, were you attempting a mirepoix? Your use of "onion powder" on top of the real onion was over powering. You used no thickening agent such as flour in your meat mix..... and as a result your "pie crust" was watery on the bottom. And thyme would have been a better choice than basil in this dish. Your plating was very one note, something fresh and vibrant along with your dish would have worked wonders.

For these reasons you have been chopped.
Old 02-12-2014, 19:43   #551
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Your potatoes were bland and not treated with respect, butter & cream would have helped as would have cheese. They were also over cooked and watery. Your mix of onion, carrots and celery were way off, were you attempting a mirepoix? Your use of "onion powder" on top of the real onion was over powering. You used no thickening agent such as flour in your meat mix..... and as a result your "pie crust" was watery on the bottom. And thyme would have been a better choice than basil in this dish. Your plating was very one note, something fresh and vibrant along with your dish would have worked wonders.

When TS is invited to dinner, he brown bags it.
Old 02-12-2014, 19:54   #552
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:

LOL, TS, the Simon Cowell of ps.com!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 20:10   #553
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan View Post
Just store bought taco seasoning and garlic powder to taste.
I like making my own taco seasoning, give it a try! It's good to be able to control the sodium level.

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper)
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt (or kosher)
1 teaspoon black pepper

Mix and store in an airtight container.
Old 02-12-2014, 21:33   #554
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Cumin, chili powder and garlic. Works for me!!
Old 02-12-2014, 23:01   #555
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
LOL, TS, the Simon Cowell of ps.com!
LMAO

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote