Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 04-16-2011, 08:37   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Who's making what today?

Who's making what today?

I'm thinking chili....with a mix of beef and pork.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:49   #2
cbtengr
Area Commander

RIBS!

I have finally gotten my ribs to the point that they suit me, 3 racks today, quite sated.

Nov Ribs.jpg
Old 11-17-2012, 19:30   #3
33army
Guerrilla

Tried something new today. Made Choripans with chorizo, mayo and chimichuri sauce. Side dish was peruvian purple potato fries.
Old 05-26-2013, 20:58   #4
cbkb98
Asset

elk backstrap, possibly smoked
cbkb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:25   #5
cbtengr
Area Commander

9# Butt

Been awhile since I have done pulled pork, put this on the smoker last night before going to bed and pulled it off at 0800 this morning. Wrapped it in a towel and placed it in an ice chest to rest for two hours. No rub on this one and I do not think it could have turned out any better.
June Butt.jpg
Old 12-23-2014, 18:57   #6
cbtengr
Area Commander

Christmas Chocalates

Made these today, my grandmother was the candy maker at Christmas, you name she made it. These bring back fond memories of her. Perhaps next year I will try to tackle her turtle recipe. These are Peanut Butter Balls, not pretty but pretty tasty.

DSCN2752.jpg
Old 12-24-2014, 10:58   #7
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

I have some homemade eggnog 'aging' in the refrigerator that I made using George Washington's recipe.

Quote:
One quart cream, one quart milk, one dozen tablespoons sugar, one pint brandy, 1/2 pint rye whiskey, 1/2 pint Jamaica rum, 1/4 pint sherry—mix liquor first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs, add sugar to beaten yolks, mix well. Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Let set in cool place for several days. Taste frequently.

Source
I cooked the egg base instead of using raw eggs, which may have changed the texture. Next time I will try pasteurized eggs and use them raw, though the FDA and USDA recommend even cooking the base of pasteurized eggs. With a little cinnamon and vanilla, it is quite good. Anxious to see how aging affects the flavor, though it isn't likely to last more than a few days.

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:31   #8
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-TX View Post
I have some homemade eggnog 'aging' in the refrigerator that I made using George Washington's recipe.

I cooked the egg base instead of using raw eggs, which may have changed the texture. Next time I will try pasteurized eggs and use them raw, though the FDA and USDA recommend even cooking the base of pasteurized eggs. With a little cinnamon and vanilla, it is quite good. Anxious to see how aging affects the flavor, though it isn't likely to last more than a few days.
That sounds good, I trust that you will not be operating heavy equipment following the consumption of the aforementioned beverage.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:59   #9
AMP
Auxiliary

Tonight we go to my brothers house for a traditional Polish/Czech dinner. Christmas day it's top sirloin roast, garlic mash with gravy from roast drippings, sweet potatoes and salad. Have to make it up on the treadmill.
AMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 21:09   #10
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Christmas Eve Dinner for 6 at Comp's house...

Salad Course: Mixed Green Salad with Basalmic/Lemon Vinaigrette (no pic, sorry)

Soup Course: Cream of Asparagus with Lump Crab and Goat Cheese (mixed with parsley)

Entree: Sous vide Tenderloin with roasted mixed fingerling potatoes and red wine reduction sauce (not sure why the sauce looks yellow in the pic. The rest of the colors are accurate)

Dessert: Crepes with Dulce de Leche sauce and vanilla ice cream w/ strawberry sauce. (that's a saucer it's sitting on, the ice cream in the dish is maybe 2 oz at most) Yes, TS, I should have put some sauce on the plate or some whipped cream or something, but with the iced cream I thought it would be over the top sweet.

Oh yeah, and a fresh boule of bread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas Eve Soup.jpg (126.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Christmas Eve.jpg (52.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Christmas Eve Dessert.jpg (53.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Christmas Eve Bread.jpg (94.5 KB, 5 views)
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 19:27   #11
cbtengr
Area Commander

First Ribs this year

Found these at the store this morning and just had to bring them home they were beyond meaty.
DSCN3688.jpg
Old 04-18-2016, 19:58   #12
craigepo
Quiet Professional

We have been eating a bunch of morel mushrooms lately. We have a pretty good patch about 100 yards off the back deck. If I can get time to bust a gobbler this week, I could be in pure fried heaven.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 13:02   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
We have been eating a bunch of morel mushrooms lately. We have a pretty good patch about 100 yards off the back deck. If I can get time to bust a gobbler this week, I could be in pure fried heaven.
LOLOL
Old 04-21-2016, 07:18   #14
Penn
Area Commander

Quote:
morel mushrooms
On a low heat, sweat some diced onions with a few slices of garlic in butter , when both are tender, add the morels and a bit more butter, cook until the morels are tender, then add some Cognac, put a flame to it. This will burn off the excess alcohol, further reduce the liquid until the flame is extinguished.

Add cream, reduce again until you have a sauce consistency.

Season to taste

Great over game birds, or a perfectly sous vide wood grilled steak.

Last edited by Penn; 04-21-2016 at 08:53.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:49   #15
cbtengr
Area Commander

Peanut Butter Pie

I know I need to work on my drizzle and I need a crust recipe that sticks together better when it's baked. Any pastry chefs amongst us?

P1010392.jpg