Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 10-15-2021, 06:20   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Soldiers have to wait another year

Soldiers have to wait another year to get their hands on the Army’s futuristic new goggles

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army...ng-delay-2022/

"....The Army has delayed its scheduled fielding date for the Integrated Visual Augmentation System (IVAS), the game-changing goggles Microsoft developed for the service based on the company’s HoloLens technology...."

Think I would like to try a set on.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:15   #2
Box
Quiet Professional

Wait - another year to get goggles that let you "see through" things that the naked eye doesn't notice ???

Nonsense - visual augmentation has been around since at least 1988. I saw a documentary produced by Larry Franco and directed by John Carpenter.

In fact, during a 2015 interview with Yahoo the director himself verified that his picture was in fact, a documentary...
You have to understand something, it’s a documentary. It’s not science fiction.”

Visual augmentation glasses are ground breaking technology, but it scares the shit out of me. I don't know how John Nada and Frank Armitage managed to wear those glasses without freaking out. Just wearing NVG's on a long night-time HAHO would make me feel a wee-bit claustrophobic as I got older - looking at everything thing through those visual augmentation goggles and seeing the world in a washed out and colorless grey tint would drive me nuts...

Big Tech - Microsoft - building a technology that lets you see what REALLY going on in the world in front of you!
No thanks - I've seen the documentary and I know what happens next...

Here are what I am being told are a few screen grabs with
and without these new glasses:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VISUAL AUGMENTATION.jpg (48.7 KB, 76 views)
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:28   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Think I would like to try a set on.

Star War'ish concept with a lot of possibilities..

There has to be a networking bottle-neck, as the data requirements are enormous, both in volume and access speed.

The goggles may be "lightweight" but this dictates the support systems are near and very powerful. One fart in the support truck and everyone is blind.

Additionally, Given the need for a significant pyridine shift to get grunts off traditional tactics and into the blind faith needed for this new system,, GOOD LUCK..

The technology may be close,, the blind faith,, not so close.. My $00.000002

On the other hand,, Blind faith at the 5-sided out,, GTG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6pzb4k9w8f131.jpg (78.8 KB, 72 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:42   #4
glebo
Quiet Professional

Well, they're gonna save a lot of money, there'll be a lot less goggles to issue out once they get rid of everyone that didn't comply and get the shot...
Old 10-15-2021, 09:50   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
Well, they're gonna save a lot of money, there'll be a lot less goggles to issue out once they get rid of everyone that didn't comply and get the shot...
That's funny,, not

Let me know about any anti-vax'er over E7 or O4 that leaves, bet it's a very short list..

Old 10-15-2021, 17:05   #6
7624U
Quiet Professional

How they going to put on their NBC mask during a attack with that big ass thing on your head. oh wait they don't train for that anymore the Russians are not a threat.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:09   #7
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

The bigger questions are among others: 1) How easy is it to hack into and alter your "enhanced vision"? and 2) since I'm assuming big brother can still pipe in and see what you're seeing; isn't this just going to end up being another head mounted feed for those in the rear?
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:00   #8
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
The bigger questions are among others: 1) How easy is it to hack into and alter your "enhanced vision"? and 2) since I'm assuming big brother can still pipe in and see what you're seeing; isn't this just going to end up being another head mounted feed for those in the rear?
YES,, Based on the various "features" mentioned, this system needs: sat-nav, sat-coms, sat-video, a huge database (not unlike google), and a supercomputer capable of simultaneously keeping 10,000 troops "in the loop",, and don't forget the 30 trillion AAA batteries and xxxx helmet mount printers for PowerPoint charts..

Even if you used distributed processing at some unit level, say the company, the brain would need a 40ft trailer to operate..

Old 10-18-2021, 15:51   #9
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Even if you used distributed processing at some unit level, say the company, the brain would need a 40ft trailer to operate..
Right now sir someone is pondering "now how the hell can I wangle an entire new Branch out of this deal...."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 16:07   #10
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Right now sir someone is pondering "now how the hell can I wangle an entire new Branch out of this deal...."
and justifying his Combat Internet Keyboard Badge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KEY board.jpg (18.3 KB, 26 views)

Old 10-18-2021, 21:57   #11
PSM
Area Commander

(Come on Moderators! We need "Like" buttons as awards of excellence. Maybe even leading to "Viral Content".)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:19   #12
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
and justifying his Combat Internet Keyboard Badge
LOL. 2x thumbs-up.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:07   #13
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
(Come on Moderators! We need "Like" buttons as awards of excellence. Maybe even leading to "Viral Content".)
Concur

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:00   #14
mark46th
Quiet Professional

These have been around for years. What's the big deal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg il_1588xN.2630586329_iffk.jpg (80.7 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by mark46th; 10-21-2021 at 11:04.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:48   #15
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
These have been around for years. What's the big deal?
Technology has gone through the roof on those things - the newest models are using scratch resistant refractory lenses.

The older models (like the one in your picture) were constructed out of cardboard and feathers.
...ask me how I know

More importantly - they dont require batteries - this new shit; well, lets just say it wont be long and our tech-goggles will be useless - once china decides to stop selling us batteries we'll be back in the dark
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote