Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Welcome to Professional Soldiers ® > Introductions

Old 06-24-2013, 19:38   #1126
kozman83
Asset

18x prospect

I have been a long time lurker here. I figured I should finally post an intro. I have been an MP in the Reserves for 3 years. I am just finally reclassing for active duty with an 18x contract. The Army decided to send me back through a partial BCT and AIT for infantry. I finish next tuesday and head to Airborne.
kozman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 22:21   #1127
Ironman5000
Asset

Prior Service Marine, SF hopeful

Hello all and a big thank you to the gentlemen running this site and all who contribute so much knowledge for others seeking it. I have only been searching these forums for a week or so, and have already found tons of great information I did not have prior.

I am here to learn and prepare myself as best I can for the possibility of SF selection. Here is my background and my current situation.

I am a 28 yr old Marine. I EASed in 2009 as a Sgt. I was a UAV mechanic and deployed to Iraq as such. Though I did my job well, I did not enjoy it much, other than spending time with my brothers. My last year in service, I did not deploy (what would have been my 5th deployment) because I was not sure if I would re-up, or get out. So I was sent to the Range as a Marksmanship Coach for a year. During my time there, I met quite a few grunts and recon Marines and found a new calling. I trained hard for most of my last year, and made some great improvements in my fitness and swimming ability (basically had to teach myself how to swim).
When time came to decide to stay in or get out, I got out. Though I knew I wanted Recon, I wanted a break more I guess. I knew that my life would be basically training and deploying, and I wanted to live as a civilian for a bit before I started down that path. So I got out, and kept training. Long story short, I ended up going through a rough divorce, and time just flew by. I ended up in NY, became a personal trainer, met someone else, and started a family. About 2 years ago, I met a Capt. in the AF who was a CCT. He was former Recon, and sold me on the CCT dream. So I set my sights on that, and started working with an AF recruiter. After a long time of preparing and jumping through every hoop imaginable, (the AF are serious sticklers for paper work apparently), I had secured the last slot of 9 for CCT prior service for the nation. Hurricane Sandy and the holidays kept my papers from being sent for approval at the Pentagon, and by the time they were ready, the other 8 PS candidates had shipped and failed. Then, though I met the requirements and was pretty strong in most areas, my swim time was not competitive enough, and I lost my spot.

I have never learned freestyle, and it wasn't required for Recon. I swam the 500 with sidestroke in 11 min. Not stellar, I know. In any case, I was passed up for the next best Candidate. I was told I would have to wait for FY 2014 for another possible slot, though the PS program for AF is so small, I could possibly not even get a chance again. So after some thought, I walked into an Army Recruiter office and started working towards an 18xray contract.

Then a week later, the Sequester happened. I could not believe my luck. Everything came to a screeching halt. I watched as NG guys who just signed for 18x so they could quit before they even got to SFAS, ship out and do just that. I am still working with my Recruiter, and hes been awesome and patient, but I have been hearing less and less from him. The last major hurdle was getting an exemption letter, since I got out as an E-5, and they will not give a grade reduction to get in. Then I got a call saying they got the letter, and we would go to MEPS a day later to try to get a slot for 18x, because the ROC and MEPS would not tell them over the phone if there was an opening or not. Next day I find out we cant go because there's yet another problem. I'm told they'll call me when they know more. A month goes by, and no news. I call, and find out there was a problem in procedure between two offices. The office that is supposed to assign me a pay grade determination said it can't until I have been assigned an MOS. The office that determines the MOS cant until I have been assigned a pay grade. SMH. SO this past week, my papers were re-submitted, with detailed instructions, or so I'm told. I have been following up with my recruiter every few days, but no word yet.
I am at a complete loss. I know the process can be long and nothing is ever as simple as it seems. I have been preparing and putting my life on hold for the hopes of fulfilling a greater calling. Since I started researching more about the SF, I can't remember what it was about CCT that had me so blind to other opportunities. I just hope I haven't missed my chance. This is truly something I keep thinking of, dreaming of. I told my wife the week we started dating that I'm going back into service for a role in special ops (Then wasn't sure where yet). I run 1.5 mi in 9:20, 3mi in 20:30 (running was never easy for me, and that took a lot of work to get to thus far, but am still improving), I currently max at 18 Pull ups (overhand), 70 Pushups (still improving, but hit a wall for some reason), and 100 sit ups in 2 min. I can do most drown proofing exercises, but have not done a lot of fin work yet. I also need to start rucking, as I tried with a backpack I have and lost feeling in my arms during the ruck. not a great start. I need an Alice pack.
I am still hopeful I will get my chance, but have started exploring the option of trying out for SF through the NG. Only problem now is figuring out a plan of action for the rest of life if I go that route. This is the main reason I have joined this site. To get some intel, if at all possible, on re-enlisting for prior service guys into AD SF, and to learn more about what I can do with my life if I can get into NG SF. Now that I have a family, I need to have some plan of action.

Any road, thank you if you have read this long boring introduction of mine. I am still actively searching forums for answers and guidance, but welcome any and all insight form the community. I know it has taken me a while to get to this point, but as long as I can, I will try. When ever someone asks me why I want to get into SF, I can think of tons of reasons, but sum it up by saying they are who I look up to. They are who I admire. I want to become that which I admire.

A big thank you for all that you gentlemen do and have done. This site is amazing, and its nice to know when I have exhausted all search engine words and phrases for my goals, I can still find amazing insight and wisdom from men who have been there and are there.

Sincerely,
Rich
Old 06-25-2013, 19:38   #1128
Bob 9825
Quiet Professional

Hello

I have been in the Army just over 22 years, and have been in 1st SFG(A) and now SOCPAC since graduating the SFQC. I'm looking forward to finding some old friends on here.
Bob 9825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 20:23   #1129
Freight_466
Asset

Intro

I have been a Canadian Mountie (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) located in the lower mainland of British Columbia for the last 5 years.

Prior to my mid life crisis (I was 42 when I joined) I was a social service executive in a non profit agency that supported adults with intellectual disabilities (Down Syndrome, Autism etc) and had worked in that field for 17 years.

I always wanted to be a CEO and reached that goal when I was 36. After a couple of years I began questioning WTF I was going to do for the next 25 years. I thought maybe joining the Canadian Infantry Reserve would scratch an itch I had when I was a kid when I wanted to be a cop or soldier. After a year and a half of that, I found the training system wasn't set up for an older adult with a full time job (Reserves in Canada are perfect for the College/University student) and separated from the Unit.

My wife started kicking around the idea of joining the RCMP and so we got ourselves out of debt and joined up.

Don't regret it one bit.

I have worked Patrol, Mental Health and Crime Reduction so far and am probably returning to Patrol in the fall.

Thanks for hosting the site and allowing non SF, like myself, to lurk around and get some insight into your world.
Freight_466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:21   #1130
Mr. Breeze
Asset

I am 27 year old North Carolinian, and I am neither a soldier nor spook -- I just do my best to be a quiet patriot. Thanks to all those who make this site possible!

Very Respectfully,
Mr. Breeze
Old 06-27-2013, 08:59   #1131
Zaetrix
SF Candidate

Hello,

I am a 24 year old from Chicago. I recently relocated to Colorado and am finally in a place in life that I could pursue my dream of being in Special Forces. I recently signed an 18x contract and will be shipping on 20131104. I've been reading this forum for several years and it has been a great help in my daily life and in helping me prepare for the challenges ahead. Thank you all for your service and for creating this website as a great resource for us to utilize.

Thank you,
Zaetrix
Zaetrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 22:25   #1132
wethewilling
Asset

Hi.

24 years old. Joined at 18, one month after High School graduation, 4 years in 2/75 as an intel nerd. Came to Monterey, California as a 35P, met a few 18 series and came to realize that intel in the regiment was nothing like intel in the army. Intending and training for SFAS, and everyone I know is telling me I should be an 18D, which after 2 years of language training in Arabic, is extremely unappealing but I meet the needs the of the SOF community. Short tabbed.

OIF once, OEF thrice, love the military, can't imagine a job worth doing with less on the line, think direct action has a time and place but think that UCW is far more critical. I've read a "Message to Garcia", and it guides my command style and how I treat my guys.

Here to provide what I've been training with as a SFAS hopeful, and to learn. Mostly to learn.
wethewilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40   #1133
A1990GB
Asset

I am 22 and a SPC in the Ohio Army National Guard for just over 3 years now. I want to learn as much as I can about SF and if possible attend Selections and serve in any way. I have immense respect for the Quiet Professionals and would be honored to carry on in the shadows of those who made the "Green Beret" the standard of perfection it is today.
A1990GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 13:41   #1134
Bortz
SF Candidate

Intro

deleted

Last edited by Bortz; 08-17-2013 at 13:18.
Bortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 22:57   #1135
DWDriveOn
Asset

23 years old, 15T. Kicking around the idea of going to Selection, always been something I have wanted to do, either I go through the pipeline and get an 18 series job or I get out.

Been religiously hitting a Gym Jones regiment - once I am pushing comfortably past 300 I'll talk to a recruiter. Until then, just going to lurk around here self educating, already read How to Get Selected a few times.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:36   #1136
Erratrus
Asset

Deployed soldier mostly here to just read, learn and kill time.
Erratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 16:42   #1137
uberkamper
Asset

Intro

I'm now 54, started off in the US Army, 80-92, basics at Fort Dix and AIT at Fort Huachuca.
'93 got the opportunity to provide support in NE Africa, relocated to New Mexico in '94.
'94-'13 spent mostly with LE, a variety of the alphabet agencies and some aspects of special forces, both Army and Marines.
uberkamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 16:54   #1138
corbin
Asset

INTRODUCTION

GREETING: THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO COME ON BOARD.
I AM GOING TO COLLEGE OCCUPATIONAL THEREPIST, HAVE TO
ATTEND FRESHMEN YEAR PETITIONING ENROLLMENT.
I AM CURIOUS ABOUT SPORTS MEDICINE WITH THE ARMY.
LOOKING TO THE FUTURE, WEIGHING MY OPTIONS.
corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 17:04   #1139
ghp95134
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin View Post
GREETING: THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO COME ON BOARD.
I AM GOING TO COLLEGE OCCUPATIONAL THEREPIST, HAVE TO
ATTEND FRESHMEN YEAR PETITIONING ENROLLMENT.
I AM CURIOUS ABOUT SPORTS MEDICINE WITH THE ARMY.
LOOKING TO THE FUTURE, WEIGHING MY OPTIONS.

Disengage cap locks!

------------
"And all this science, I don't understand. It's just my job five days a week" -- Rocket Man
ghp95134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 21:20   #1140
ColtKing
Asset

Intro

First and foremost, I would like to give a special thanks and salute the brave and courageous Green Berets on this site, the ones down range, the ones still in group, the retirees, and the fallen comrades who gave their lives for this nation and their love for the brotherhood.

My name is James M. and I am a guest on this forum, and I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to engage in some of these threads with you guys as well as having the opportunity to soak in as much information as I can before I join the Army. I am currently finishing my associates degree in Information Systems Security in which I am learning to set up networks, routing, installing operating systems and even a decent bit of hacking tactics. After me and my brother finish our degrees this fall, we both fully intend on joining the Army with an 18x contract. Our grandfather was in SF in Vietnam, and our father was in 5th group for about 6 years, then spent 11 years as a 1st SFOD-D operator, then spent his last 4 years as an 18E instructor at SWC. Becoming a Green Beret has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. It's in my blood. I've definitely come to realize that I have really big shoes to fill, and I am more than motivated to take on the task and become a part of this sacred brotherhood. I look forward to communicating with you guys. Be safe and God bless.