Old 02-29-2020, 11:41   #256
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricV View Post
But why would they?? Most of them don't like Trump.
Right, there is a certain segment of our society (including military brass) that would rather see our country fail than to see Trump (doing well, making good decisions) win!

Obama got a free pass for everything he and his administration did wrong (illegal) and was celebrated in the streets for the few decisions his administration seemed to get right - by accident or otherwise. (Even by the RINOs in the Congress)

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:05   #257
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
We're retired and were hit way harder than you and, even through we have only SS as income and can't really buy more, I know that what we have will rebound quickly. Especially after the next election. I don't panic. Unfortunately some do.
If you have income investment focus it softens the blow.

I went full monty with shifting the retirement $$ that I have in accounts that I can self-manage into a diversified basket of high-yield securities. I'm totally focusing on income with capital growth being icing on the cake. Right now I don't need the income, so I'm plowing it right back into the account and am viewing this event like a giant fire-sale. I am in a much better place taking a 1 week 14% unrealized capital loss knowing that those investments are still spinning off real cash (9.8% yield on invested capital)... much of it on a a monthly basis that I can use to go bargain shopping.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:06   #258
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
We know how to do this shit! Hot zone, neutral decontamination areas and cold zones for non-infectious people. Three week to a couple months vacation in the Pacific the temperatures are great this time of year.
Hell, yeah. Place of our choosing; and without any black goo leeching up through the soil.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 15:52   #259
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

So it appears that a transgender woman has died of the Coronabeervirus in Jay Enslee’s Evergreen state. The “man” was a significant health risk with pre-existing conditions and may or may not have recently returned from South Korea. It is also reported (because Gov. Enslee knows more about science and Climate Change than VP Pence) that they sent the person to a local motel room so as not to infect the Evergreen Hospital staff.

[Note: there was one reported case of a 50 y/o female with underlying health issues who had actually returned from South Korea but, “she” is doing okay and is receiving treatment for a life threatening URI. The “mysterious man” was not ever previously reported to health officials or the CDC...he just showed up out of the blue and died from “unconfirmed COVID-19”.]

But there is no conspiracy here to cause panic and pandemonium as reported by CNN and USA Today.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old 02-29-2020, 19:49   #260
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Wuhan Coronavirus:

Quote:
So it appears that a transgender woman has died of the Coronabeervirus in Jay Enslee’s Evergreen state. The “man” was a significant health risk with pre-existing conditions and may or may not have recently returned from South Korea. It is also reported (because Gov. Enslee knows more about science and Climate Change than VP Pence) that they sent the person to a local motel room so as not to infect the Evergreen Hospital staff.

[Note: there was one reported case of a 50 y/o female with underlying health issues who had actually returned from South Korea but, “she” is doing okay and is receiving treatment for a life threatening URI. The “mysterious man” was not ever previously reported to health officials or the CDC...he just showed up out of the blue and died from “unconfirmed COVID-19”.]

But there is no conspiracy here to cause panic and pandemonium as reported by CNN and USA Today.
Named the Covid-19 by the WHO (World Health Organization) a worthless money pit that does nothing to improve the health of the world same as the United Nations is NOT united to promote world peace. China has 1 level 4 Biohazard Lab & it's in Wuhan China. The lab is THE NAVAL UNIVERSITY OF ENGINEERING & the head of the Lab is Dr. Chen Wi a Maj. General in the Chinese Army. She is China's top Bio weapons expert. Her lab was locked down on 2 Jan.2020 because of the virus & 21 days before Wuhan (pop.11 million) was quarantined. This is when China admitted to having an epidemic...Did the coronavirus-19 ordinate in Dr. Wi's lab or did it come from Wuhan's wet meat market as reported by the Chinese Gov.????
Old 02-29-2020, 20:42   #261
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
If you have income investment focus it softens the blow.

I went full monty with shifting the retirement $$ that I have in accounts that I can self-manage into a diversified basket of high-yield securities. I'm totally focusing on income with capital growth being icing on the cake. Right now I don't need the income, so I'm plowing it right back into the account and am viewing this event like a giant fire-sale. I am in a much better place taking a 1 week 14% unrealized capital loss knowing that those investments are still spinning off real cash (9.8% yield on invested capital)... much of it on a a monthly basis that I can use to go bargain shopping.
I've always been an aggressive investor, and still am. It bit me this time (and I knew it was coming) and a couple of other times. I guess I should slow down . . . after this recovery.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 02-29-2020 at 20:45.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:08   #262
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Yes, I know, I still have time left to recover what was lost in 2008 again and again but some people don’t...this hits recent retirees hard and it’s over BS!

Let’s stop hating Trump so much that we would rather see our country fail than see the orange man in the White House succeed.
And VFOG's,,
12 yrs from now I'll be in my mid 80t's

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 18:22   #263
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
And VFOG's,,
12 yrs from now I'll be in my mid 80t's
Just wondering.
What is the difference between a FOG and VFOG?
Old 03-01-2020, 18:58   #264
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctom54 View Post
Just wondering.
What is the difference between a FOG and VFOG?
My personal definition

FOG - retired, Historically for civilians around 60+- but with the military 50? When you come back as a contractor on Range 37 or become a role-player for RS?

VFOG - 70
VVFOG - 80

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 19:11   #265
doctom54
Quiet Professional

The medical community has done studies and your definition changes as you get older.

I think of myself as a FOG (retired military, still working, Medicare eligible); just wanted to make sure I wasn't a VFOG yet.
Old 03-01-2020, 19:14   #266
Badger52
Area Commander

By the way, it's for Vintage.
That's my story & I'm stickin' to it.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 20:13   #267
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
My personal definition

FOG - retired, Historically for civilians around 60+- but with the military 50? When you come back as a contractor on Range 37 or become a role-player for RS?

VFOG - 70
VVFOG - 80
I guess that just still makes me a FAG then - retired >50 <60

Old 03-01-2020, 20:14   #268
InTheBlack
BANNED USER

Gonna be seeing these posters again pretty soon:

https://thumbs-prod.si-cdn.com/QwqUF...028-cg8mlz.jpg

article:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...mic-180967810/

Last edited by InTheBlack; 03-01-2020 at 20:20.
InTheBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 22:18   #269
PSM
Area Commander

It's probably time for states bordering CA to set up checkpoints to test for the virus. Once the homeless of LA and SF catch it, it will spread rapidly there. Not sure about SD's homeless population but it doesn't matter, it's CA in general. Hey, they check us for vegetables and fruit when we cross their border.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:00   #270
Penn
Area Commander

The Good side of COVID_19

An adviser to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has died from the new coronavirus, as other top officials in the country are confirmed to be infected, according to multiple reports on Monday.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote