Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 06-25-2018, 03:54   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Erdogan proclaimed winner in Turkey presidential election

Erdogan proclaimed winner in Turkey presidential election

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/06...tent=Google+UK

"Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was returned to office with expanded powers, the country's electoral board said Sunday, brushing aside opposition claims that the results were incomplete.

Sadi Guven, the head of the Supreme Election Council, said that 97.7 percent of votes in the presidential race had been counted and Erdogan had received an "absolute majority."......."

The interesting thing about this election was the number of opposition parties that hit 10% and will hold seats in parliament.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:08   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Erdogan, just another Idi Amin Dada

WTF do we allow this POS nation to be part of NATO?

Erdogan, another corrupt piece of shitte.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:14   #3
rubberneck
Area Commander

It never ceases to amaze me when the voters in a democracy vote to give more and more power to a President to the point they no longer have a democratic system. Maybe it’s the American in me but I’m disgusted with the amount of power our president has and oppose giving any of them more power. It’s time for NATO to send them packing as they no longer share the same values of the rest of the alliance.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 15:59   #4
Mustang Man
Guerrilla

The cylce continues

Islamists are again gaining power all with out firing a shot. We are now in era of strong man politics, expect others like Erdogan to get elected.

BMT
Mustang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 18:19   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
Islamists are again gaining power all with out firing a shot. We are now in era of strong man politics, expect others like Erdogan to get elected.
That's nothing new in the shithole called the middle east. My only concern is that this shitte hole country is a NATO member...................
Old 06-25-2018, 19:13   #6
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
That's nothing new in the shithole called the middle east. My only concern is that this shitte hole country is a NATO member...................
And heavily partnered with the Russians.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 20:35   #7
Mustang Man
Guerrilla

What largely prevents Greece and Turkey from preemptively attacking eachother is keeping them in NATO. However that should not be U.S. priority in the grand scheme of things. Yeah I'm with you, Turkey needs to be nixed from NATO.

Turkey is buying itself time staying in NATO while building up their forces. Meanwhile they're simalteanosuly funneling migrants into Europe. Turkey and NATO also have the same objective in Syria, another conundrum. They're playing the long game and know the west is to weak to do anything about them. Turkey will eventually removes itself from NATO once they're ready to pounce and put their plan in motion. I.E. establish a new Islamic alliance/empire.

BMT
Mustang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:40   #8
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Turkey is waiting for those nice shiny F-35s to arrive so they kill Kurds stealthily....

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 13:07   #9
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Turkey is waiting for those nice shiny F-35s to arrive so they kill Kurds stealthily....
I believe one F35 has already been delivered, with noise from several members of Congress to halt future shipments due to Turkey’s political shift.

But I would think the F35 horse would have already bolted from the barn years ago with training and support on classified systems and capabilities already conducted.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 13:26   #10
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
And heavily partnered with the Russians.
I remember a few years ago thinking that a Turkey/Russia alliance for monopoly control of energy transport from “the Stans” to the EU(including NATO member states) would allow Turkey/Russia to extract exhorbitant economic rent and political influence.

I was told that was crazy because Turkey and Russia hate each other.

The exclamation point on that was a Turkish F16 killing a Russian SU24 in a well calculated ambush a while’s back.

But maybe the value created/captured by traditional enemies working together far outweighs their mutual antipathy for each other.

Money and power talks.

I still remember standing next to Turkcell’s CIO(now former) nearly 2 years ago late on a Friday afternoon on the US West Coast when the global markets had closed and his phone blew up with the initiation of the failed coup attempt.

I’m wondering if this all went wrong with the Sledgehammer Affair a decade prior with Erdogan dismantling and defanging the Turkish military’s long established “reboot” role.

Few people remember one of President Reagan’s biggest and earliest wins, which was smashing Soviet plans for NATO member states customers to finance a Soviet energy pipeline for Soviet profit and influence.

That was a very tough thing to do in the middle of a Western European recession.

And it helped accelerate the fall of the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact.

But no one remembers it.

With the growing potential of a Russian/Turkish energy transport alliance, and with Russia already supplying much of Europe’s energy, maybe President Reagan just won a major series of battles, rather than the entire war.

No wonder Libya has had so much focus from UK/France.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote