Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 04-12-2017, 20:57   #1
ironstoNe
Quiet Professional

Any updates on the situation in Mosul? Need some answers for a friend ASAP please

I've got a friend heading over to Mosul, Iraq to help with the NYC Medics Global Disaster Relief effort there and they will be booking their tickets this weekend for their trip in May. So basically he has a couple days to decide if he's going or not. Any clarity on the current situation in or around Mosul would be great so I can just give him a risk assessment as to his chances of being rolled up or the viable threat he faces being there as a unarmed civilian. They have an Iraqi Special Forces "unit" (according to the memo) as personal security for their building, with an American Security advisor and team leader for that element. Their building is 3km from the front lines according to the memo he received, but they still have come under mortar fire within the past 2 months and some stray bullets have been heard near the building. Can their security be trusted? Also, if anyone has real-time info as to what is going on, feel free to PM me or respond to this ASAP. I greatly appreciate it!
Old 04-13-2017, 04:22   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html

Does NYC Medics rate any protection, outside the wire, in that AO?

From their site,, It looks like they already have personal in Mosul. What is the feed-back?

PS: Prayers out..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:54   #3
ironstoNe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html

Does NYC Medics rate any protection, outside the wire, in that AO?

From their site,, It looks like they already have personal in Mosul. What is the feed-back?

PS: Prayers out..

They have not rated their protection outside the wire or even their own security element. It was very limited in regards to any information regarding that in their memo. They do have people there right now and have been for an unknown period of time, but I told him to get in touch with them to find out from the people that have been there the month before.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:00   #4
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironstoNe View Post
Their building is 3km from the front lines according to the memo he received, but they still have come under mortar fire within the past 2 months and some stray bullets have been heard near the building. Can their security be trusted? Also, if anyone has real-time info as to what is going on, feel free to PM me or respond to this ASAP. I greatly appreciate it!
Just wanted to mention that there are no "front lines" in Iraq. As far as "Can their security be trusted?" - one thing I learned from Columbia to Iraq to Fayetteville, keep your back towards the wall and never let anyone get between you and the exit.
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:31   #5
ironstoNe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernDZ View Post
Just wanted to mention that there are no "front lines" in Iraq. As far as "Can their security be trusted?" - one thing I learned from Columbia to Iraq to Fayetteville, keep your back towards the wall and never let anyone get between you and the exit.
I 100% agree.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:01   #6
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

As a former Contract Manager (COR) for Iraq, I would HIGHLY recommend that your friend goes in completely understanding his political status. The (Non functioning) US Embassy in Baghdad has historically done very little to look after NGO's, contractors, and US Citizens outside of the Green Zone. You only have to look back as far as 2015 when ISIS stood up and left hundreds of US Contractors stranded on an airfield in Northern Iraq to their own means of exfil. Eventually the Iraqi's moved them out, however the USG did much less than expected.

IMHO, this is a very bad assignment for your friend to take on. US heads are worth much more than the medical care they may provide right now. Prayers out, but I hope he has a rock solid plan. Iraq SF providing security?

"Do you want to get kidnapped? Because this is how you get kidnapped." - Tm SGT prior to my first deployment to Africa.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:35   #7
ironstoNe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
As a former Contract Manager (COR) for Iraq, I would HIGHLY recommend that your friend goes in completely understanding his political status. The (Non functioning) US Embassy in Baghdad has historically done very little to look after NGO's, contractors, and US Citizens outside of the Green Zone. You only have to look back as far as 2015 when ISIS stood up and left hundreds of US Contractors stranded on an airfield in Northern Iraq to their own means of exfil. Eventually the Iraqi's moved them out, however the USG did much less than expected.

IMHO, this is a very bad assignment for your friend to take on. US heads are worth much more than the medical care they may provide right now. Prayers out, but I hope he has a rock solid plan. Iraq SF providing security?

"Do you want to get kidnapped? Because this is how you get kidnapped." - Tm SGT prior to my first deployment to Africa.
I appreciate the info regarding the Embassy because that was going to be another one of my questions. Thanks for the info
Old 04-13-2017, 09:57   #8
ironstoNe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Very little to add that has not been added other than tell your friends to have their own plans as well as contingency plans for EVERYTHING including security, exfil, food, water etc. Rely on no one including US govt, their employers or local forces. For an exit have lots of options. Can anyone fly a plane? Know where you can steal one if you have to. Have enough food water and water purification systems to walk out if you have to. GPS with you with points back home in safe zone in case you have to cross country at night.

I know your friends have good intentions but the risk vs reward just is not there in my opinion.
I was actually wondering if there are any good companies out there that provide detailed topographical maps of Iraq to include Mosul for an E&E plan. That would definitely be worth having.
Old 04-13-2017, 17:07   #9
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I was actually wondering if there are any good companies out there that provide detailed topographical maps of Iraq to include Mosul for an E&E plan. That would definitely be worth having.
This, /\ /\ /\ whether it be assisted, or unassisted (which is probably the case). But ya GOTTA have one, if time allows to implement...
Old 04-15-2017, 16:05   #10
Guy
Quiet Professional

Two (2) ways too move....

Quote:
East towards Erbil and South towards Balad. Both are walking distance...

I'd head East to Erbil, a shorter distance by vehicle and or foot. Plus, you can catch a flight out of Erbil.

Most of the info you seek is open-source, you just need a "seasoned" intel person to explain it. NOT a schooled trained, highly educated (institutionalized) MoFo.

Stay safe,

Guy

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 20:08   #11
ironstoNe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
East towards Erbil and South towards Balad. Both are walking distance...

I'd head East to Erbil, a shorter distance by vehicle and or foot. Plus, you can catch a flight out of Erbil.

Most of the info you seek is open-source, you just need a "seasoned" intel person to explain it. NOT a schooled trained, highly educated (institutionalized) MoFo.

Stay safe,

Guy
Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it and I'll look into more of that open source information!
Old 04-16-2017, 19:22   #12
Guy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it and I'll look into more of that open source information!
If the ticket is into Baghdad...turn it down!

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:09   #13
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Would you care to share the latest update?

This thread suddenly becomes relevant to me as I am preparing to do a stint with the Samaritan's Purse field hospital in Northern Iraq

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:27   #14
ironstoNe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Would you care to share the latest update?

This thread suddenly becomes relevant to me as I am preparing to do a stint with the Samaritan's Purse field hospital in Northern Iraq
Not much has changed in regards to ISIS still being present, but what I've read up on is that there's been consistent sniper/mortar/booby trap/suicide bomber attacks within the western part of the city and according to some report, "Old City" has an estimated 400,000 civilians trapped because ISIS is using them as human shields. If you're helping with that field hospital, school up on your infant medicine because there have been ALOT of infants showing up malnourished and sick. Not a good situation at all. Even a report about a possible chemical attack that was used on Iraqi Forces, but they had no casualties.... so maybe you want to bring some MOPP gear with you.