Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

Well above and well beyond.
RIP.
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 23:40   #17
huntcg
Auxiliary

Rest in Peace, Warrior. Your noble sacrifice will not be forgotten.
huntcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 18:29   #18
Razor
Quiet Professional

Rest Easy, SEAL.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 18:57   #19
x SF med
Quiet Professional

PO2 Monsoor, your actions are truly heroic. My prayers for your family.
Rest easy sailor, your duty is done.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:10   #20
AF IDMT
Guerrilla

I hope the award mentioned is the MOH.

RIP, SEAL.
AF IDMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:56   #21
eva05

Blue Skies

It's things like this that make me proud as hell of our guys. This is pure selfless character that isn't common in the world, from my travels.

It tears me up that some of our best are dying out there.

Makes me want to do as much as possible with the freedom and time I have that these guys have paid for with their lives.

j
Old 10-16-2006, 10:08   #22
vsvo
Area Commander

Rest in Peace, Petty Officer.
vsvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 13:28   #23
SITH
Asset

RIP

Warrior
Some of the most vocal critics of the way things are being done are people who have done nothing themselves, and whose only contribution to society are their complaints and moral exhibitionism. - Thomas Sowell

Open-mindedness is vastly overrated. Arriving at old age with a completely open mind may not be much of a character reference: it might mean you never cared very strongly about anything that ever happened to you. - Gary Sitton
SITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 14:10   #24
Abu Jack
Quiet Professional

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

I'm not much of a bible thumper, but, I couldn't say it any better.

Rest In Peace
Abu Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:18   #25
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Rest in Peace Petty Officer Monsoor.

As others here have said, words are inadequate.

You will not be forgotten.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:42   #26
Christophe
Guerrilla

Rest In Peace brave warrior.
My condolences to his family,friends and teammates.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 23:24   #27
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Navy Seal Mike Monsoor

Navy SEAL Mike Monsoor to Receive Medal of Honor
By Michael Fumento

SEAL and Petty Officer 2nd Class Mike Monsoor will posthumously receive the nation's highest award, the Medal of Honor. It will be given to his parents in a White House ceremony April 8. The next day there will be a Hall of Heroes Dedication followed by a Navy Memorial Dedication. He died in Sept. 2006 after throwing himself on a hand grenade and thereby probably saving the lives of three of his comrades.
I first wrote about being in combat with Monsoor's unit in Ramadi, Iraq in April of 2006 in my Weekly Standard "New Band of Brothers" article, though he wasn't mentioned by name. He was killed just as I was returning to Ramadi later in the year, and one of the photos I took of him during that first fight graced the cover of the issue containing my subsequent article. I plan to attend and to write about the Medal of Honor Ceremony.

March 15, 2008 07:50 PM

http://www.fumento.com/weblog/archiv...seal_mike.html

<edit>

Note to admin or moderator: please move to appropriate forum.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)

Last edited by GratefulCitizen; 03-15-2008 at 23:59.
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:32   #28
the squid
BANNED USER

MA2(SEAL) Michael Monsoor

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/0...fhonor_031708/

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CfK2BQCIIes

Thank you Mr. Monsoor, for your service and your sacrifice. There are men alive today who owe you their lives.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
the squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 20:46   #29
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

SEAL awarded MOH

SO2 Michael Monsoor, Navy SEAL is awarded the MOH. RIP Sailor, your watch is over and we dearly appreciate your service and your absolute sacrifice.

By Gidget Fuentes - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Mar 17, 2008 14:53:40 EDT
SAN DIEGO — A California-based SEAL who threw his body on a grenade to save his comrades in Iraq will posthumously receive the Medal of Honor, a Defense Department official has confirmed.

Master-at-Arms 2nd Class (SEAL) Michael A. Monsoor, of Garden Grove, Calif., was holed up on the roof of a Ramadi house with three other SEALs on Sept. 29, 2006, when an insurgent grenade landed nearby.

Monsoor, a 25-year old with SEAL Team 3, grabbed the grenade and clutched it to his chest. The blast killed him, but his actions, officials said at the time, saved the men on the rooftop.

Monsoor will be the second member of the Navy to receive the Medal of Honor since the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan began, and the first sailor to receive it for combat in Iraq.

Michael Fumento, who’s written about Monsoor and combat operations in Ramadi, reported on his Internet blog over the weekend that Monsoor’s family would receive the posthumous award on the fallen SEAL’s behalf during a White House ceremony April 8.

A Defense Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed that the award had been approved.

“We understand the decision has been made to give that award,” the official said Monday. However, it’s not clear when the medal would be presented by President Bush, as is tradition, and the White House hasn’t yet made any announcement.

“[The date is] very likely to change,” the Pentagon official said.

A spokeswoman at the Navy Office of Information referred questions to the White House. A call to the White House press office was not immediately returned.

Monsoor, a platoon machine gunner, had received the Silver Star, the third-highest award for combat valor, for his actions pulling a wounded SEAL to safety during a May 9, 2006, firefight in Ramadi.

The Medal of Honor would be the second awarded to a Navy SEAL since 2001.

Last year, the family of the late Lt. Michael P. Murphy, a SEAL officer from Long Island, N.Y., received the medal during an Oct. 22 White House ceremony. Murphy was killed June 28, 2005, along with two other teammates, in Afghanistan’s Hindu Kush mountains when their four-man team battled a larger force of Taliban fighters. Eight other Navy SEALs and eight special operations soldiers with a quick-reaction force died when their MH-47 Chinook helicopter was shot down.

Murphy is the only service member so far awarded the Medal of Honor for combat operations in Afghanistan.

Only two other Medals of Honor have been awarded, so far, and both posthumously for combat heroics during military operations in Iraq.

The first was Army Sergeant 1st Class Paul R. Smith, who died during an April 4, 2003, firefight with insurgent fighters near Baghdad International Airport. Smith was noted for his bravery and quick actions to organize a hasty defense and counter attack during which he fired anti-tank weapons, tossed hand grenades, mounted an armored personnel carrier to fire its .50-caliber machine gun and evacuate three wounded soldiers before he was felled by enemy fire. Officials credited him with killing as many as 50 enemy forces.

Monsoor’s actions closely parallel that of Marine Cpl. Jason L. Dunham, a machine gunner from Scio, N.Y., the second service member to receive the medal for combat actions in Iraq.

Dunham, 22, took his Kevlar helmet and muffled a grenade dropped by an insurgent fighting with him and his fire team in a house near Husaybah on April 14, 2004. He died a week later, April 22, at National Naval Medical Center Bethesda, Md. His family received the medal during a Jan. 11, 2007, ceremony at the White House.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1205.jpg (40.3 KB, 91 views)
82ndtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 21:10   #30
sleepyhead4
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

It's truly amazing the caliber of men (and women) that we have serving in the armed forces.

RIP SEAL and my prayers will be with your loved ones.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" Bruce Campbell a.k.a Ash

Last edited by sleepyhead4; 03-21-2008 at 22:16. Reason: Unnecessary statement removed
sleepyhead4 is offline   Reply With Quote