Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 08-06-2020, 03:52   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Turkish report: Egypt sends forces to support Assad in Syria

Turkish report: Egypt sends forces to support Assad in Syria

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20...ssad-in-syria/

Egypt seems to be flexing it's muscles a bit. After the vote to send troops into Libya and now this.

"Egypt has sent nearly 150 soldiers to Syria to fight in the ranks of the Assad regime, military sources told Anadolu Agency.

The soldiers had been sent to the Aleppo countryside, Idlib area in coordination with Iranian Revolutionary Guards via the Hama Military Airport.

The troops were later deployed in the Khan Al-Asal area in the western countryside of Aleppo and around the city of Saraqib in the southern countryside of Idlib.

Egyptian soldiers are deployed with light weapons and accompanied by Iran-backed groups on the front lines against Syrian opposition factions...."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:54   #2
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

It has ever been that stability in the region comes with dictatorship or at least "military strong-man". Seems they are just growing tired of the constant turmoil since 2010/2011.

Western values and political systems applied in the Middle East have always been gasoline on a glowing ember.

Doesn't seem there is opposition to Egyptians flexing.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:28   #3
PRB
Quiet Professional

I'd rather see a Monarchy or Dictatorship in any ME country...the alternative is an Islamic Regime....there is no Democracy in the ME, never has been and will not be with an Islamic culture.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 14:18   #4
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

The Middle East:

I think Israel is the only democratic Government in the Middle East that is stable. The Arab's will never unite & try to destroy Israel, They, the Arab's, are the epitome of tribalism...as of now Israel is the only nuclear nation in the area.
Old 08-06-2020, 15:21   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I'd rather see a Monarchy or Dictatorship in any ME country...the alternative is an Islamic Regime....there is no Democracy in the ME, never has been and will not be with an Islamic culture.
Agreed, Totalitarian governments in the ME are the only style that has a chance.

Based on their 10,000 years of religious tribalism, I doubt they will ever attain any form of stable democratic governance.

I think China could be added to the list of never gonna get there?

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 20:41   #6
Flagg
Area Commander

Something interesting that ties both Turkey and Egypt together.

Both have performed very poorly in the Bloomberg Misery Index.

It's one of many branded indexes that tries to gauge relative economic activity, such as Economist's Big Mac Index(relative purchasing power of local currency to buy a McD's Big Mac).

The Misery Index tries to measure relative economic misery for citizens in respective countries.

Turkey and Egypt are not performing well.

Add in bordering failed states, the battle between islamism/secularism, Game of Thrones like power struggles, and existential water crisis in Egypt's case, and you have a recipe for a runaway explosion not too different from the big smoking crater in Beirut right now.

At some stage, stability at all costs, may become the preferred option by most.

Which would make it the world's biggest boom and seller's market for small arms ammunition, kinetic drones, and social media surveillance tech.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote