Old 01-25-2019, 10:53   #1
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Commercial Camouflage Usage

Quiet Professionals,

I'm inquiring with you about the use of commercial camouflage used either in training or down range. The genesis of this question is two fold, first that you see a few pictures of RealTree (and a few others) in use in Afghanistan, secondly I have a uniform top in commercial camouflage that originated from an ODA member in 7th Group. I don't know whom it belonged to, but it came from a support guy who traded for it.

Thus my question, was it used down range, if so, how frequently? Did it ever see used stateside? Any information would be appreciated.

My goal being to fill information gaps in my knowledge. I was regular Army so we didn't get to have much choice in our gear or uniforms. As someone who now saves uniforms with their history, its important to try and fill these gaps in.

With respect,

Red
RedLegGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:13   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLegGI View Post
secondly I have a uniform top in commercial camouflage that originated from an ODA member in 7th Group.

I don't know whom it belonged to, but it came from a support guy who traded for it.

Thus my question, was it used down range, if so, how frequently? Did it ever see used stateside? Any information would be appreciated.

If you are trying to validate the provenance of your purchase?

You should include pictures..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 16:22   #3
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
If you are trying to validate the provenance of your purchase?

You should include pictures..

In a roundabout way yes. I don't question the veracity of where he said he works as a support guy. However I'd like external validation if possible. I'm including the pictures as requested.

The coat has been modified where all four of the pockets were removed, with the lower set moved to the chest, and the smaller upper pockets, moved to the sleeve. In the second picture, you can see where the stitching 'ghost' remains. This modification is very common on modified DCU's, so seeing it on this jacket lends a bit to what he told me on its origins.

As a side note, the lighting is a bright, and the actual top is much darker.

With respect,

Red
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smokeybranch.jpg (100.2 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Smokeybranch2.jpg (100.9 KB, 165 views)
Old 05-16-2019, 20:51   #4
FearMonkey
Quiet Professional

I've never seen that pattern used in my entire life - downrange or otherwise. That being said, we always managed to find a local that was handy with a needle who would work for cheap on every deployment and in every theater. It's very common to take advantage of that asset, and I've seen countless customized uniforms, combat shirts, and equipment over the years.

In conclusion... maybe? In my opinion, the tell tale sign of downrange use would be if it looks well worn. I have many customized uniforms, but I don't have any that aren't beat to hell. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:14   #5
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Off the top of my head, this looks like it was made for MILSIM/paint ball purposes. That, or else the user wanted to adopt an "operator" look to their hunting apparel, which the original manufacturer copied after the old BDU template. The 4x4 swatches of black pile tape on each pocket indicate either a limited budget (completely understandable) or zero field experience and a lack of understanding about camo.

IMHOO.
Old 05-22-2019, 14:37   #6
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMonkey View Post
I've never seen that pattern used in my entire life - downrange or otherwise. That being said, we always managed to find a local that was handy with a needle who would work for cheap on every deployment and in every theater. It's very common to take advantage of that asset, and I've seen countless customized uniforms, combat shirts, and equipment over the years.

In conclusion... maybe? In my opinion, the tell tale sign of downrange use would be if it looks well worn. I have many customized uniforms, but I don't have any that aren't beat to hell. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAHAWK9521 View Post
Off the top of my head, this looks like it was made for MILSIM/paint ball purposes. That, or else the user wanted to adopt an "operator" look to their hunting apparel, which the original manufacturer copied after the old BDU template. The 4x4 swatches of black pile tape on each pocket indicate either a limited budget (completely understandable) or zero field experience and a lack of understanding about camo.

IMHOO.
Thanks for the input on this.
Old 05-22-2019, 15:18   #7
LongWire
Quiet Professional

To add to what the others have stated, the material is of Heavy Cotton, looks close to the old heavy weight BDU.
Personally I wouldn't be caught downrange with that heavy shit on, especially in a humid and jungle/marsh type terrain.....YMMV

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 16:06   #8
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWire View Post
To add to what the others have stated, the material is of Heavy Cotton, looks close to the old heavy weight BDU.
Personally I wouldn't be caught downrange with that heavy shit on, especially in a humid and jungle/marsh type terrain.....YMMV
You're absolutely correct, it is a very heavy type materiel.