Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Bump.

Where is this report, Counsellor?

Inquiring minds want to know.

TR
I have scheduled the tasting for Sunday, October 23, 2005. A surprise judge will be assisting me.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:30   #32
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
I have scheduled the tasting for Sunday, October 23, 2005. A surprise judge will be assisting me.
The tasting was completed as scheduled. Remarks to follow.
Old 10-24-2005, 22:58   #33
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Whiskies sampled:

Booker's
Black Maple Hill 18 y/o rye
Blanton's
Elijah Craig 18 y/o
Jack Daniel's Single Barrel
Noah's Mill 15 y/o
Pappy Van Winkle's 20 y/o

One of the two guest judges is a member of this board. If he chooses to identify himself, I'll let him start the discussion.
Old 10-24-2005, 22:58   #34
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The tasting was completed as scheduled. Remarks to follow.
I think that we tried the best available, and picked several favorites.

The Elijah Craig has me worried now though.

I would put the Pappy VW at the top, the Booker's a close second.

Blanton's would have been third, I would rank Knob Creek (based on experience) just after that. The Black Maple Hill was decent.

The others were distant memories, but not remarkably good.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 23:15   #35
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Whiskies sampled:

Booker's
Black Maple Hill 18 y/o rye
Blanton's
Elijah Craig 18 y/o
Jack Daniel's Single Barrel
Noah's Mill 15 y/o
Pappy Van Winkle's 20 y/o
Yeah TR, the Elijah Craig was downright bizarre. I posted earlier about how much I liked the last bottle I had, but this bottle was radically different. The last bottle was sweet and sort of caramel-flavored, but this one was a little bit harsh (relative to the others we tried) and really peppery. Now this is single-barrel bourbon, so maybe it was a bad barrel or something. But I find it bizarre that two bottles of the same brand would taste so different. I don't know which one I'll get if I buy another bottle -- I'd definitely want to buy more of the first, but not the second. So EC was unanimously LAST in the tasting.

The PVW was consensus #1. Duh.

I really liked the Noah's Mill. I believe it was the first one we tried, so it had the disadvantage of completely sober tasters, but it was very smooth with a distinctive peppery taste. High proof, like the Booker's. I will not let the rest go to waste. The others did not care for it as much as I did.

The Booker's and Blanton's were consistent with what one would expect. I like both a great deal, and they were among the better contestants IMO. I prefer the Blanton's between these two, but I think that's just a personal preference.

I liked the Black Maple Hill. This was the only rye we tried, and I thought it tasted like rye. Very smooth and pretty good, but probably a peg below the Blanton's and Booker's.

The JD Single Barrel did not draw rave reviews from the guest judges, but I liked it. This was the only Tennessee whiskey we tried, and it has a distinctive flavor as a result. I might drink it instead of some of the more expensive brands we tried based on mood or price, but I don't think it is better than any of the others except for the Elijah Craig, which was awful.

No photos were taken. Sorry about that.
Old 10-24-2005, 23:25   #36
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I just read the whole thread again, and I'm thinking the Elijah Craig was just a bad bottle. Should I sue them? LOL
Old 10-24-2005, 23:29   #37
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I just read the whole thread again, and I'm thinking the Elijah Craig was just a bad bottle. Should I sue them? LOL
I agree. And I bought a bottle as a gift that I would be afraid to give without testing first.

Do you have access to representation? A class action, perhaps?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 10-24-2005, 23:31   #38
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Do you have access to representation? A class action, perhaps?
LOL -- I do, at steeply discounted rates!

I see that one of our law students is reading the thread. Perhaps he can explain why a class likely would not be certified in a case like this . . .
Old 10-25-2005, 08:18   #39
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

RL

On the Black Maple Hill you mention that you tasted the Rye. Being that it was the only Rye in the bunch I am interested in your thoughts on the flavor the Rye added. Is it something that detracted from the overall presentation and was the cause for your rating it lower then the others or was that because it was just a tad inferior overall?

I am also curious if you have any information on the types of wood that was used for the barrels the spirits were aged in as well as any type of treatment the barrels had prior to racking. As we all know Whiskey takes it color from the barrels as well the type of wood and treatment it has affects the finished products flavor. Oak, especially American contains Vanillin.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:21   #40
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmonkey
On the Black Maple Hill you mention that you tasted the Rye. Being that it was the only Rye in the bunch I am interested in your thoughts on the flavor the Rye added. Is it something that detracted from the overall presentation and was the cause for your rating it lower then the others or was that because it was just a tad inferior overall?
Tasted a little bit like rye bread! I like rye bread. It was just a little bit inferior to the PVW, Booker's and Blanton's, but still quite excellent. I'll drink it any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmonkey
I am also curious if you have any information on the types of wood that was used for the barrels the spirits were aged in as well as any type of treatment the barrels had prior to racking. As we all know Whiskey takes it color from the barrels as well the type of wood and treatment it has affects the finished products flavor. Oak, especially American contains Vanillin.
I don't know for sure, but I would expect that all of them were aged in oak barrels. The web sites for the distilleries probably have more information.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:40   #41
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I believe that charred oak is required for bourbon.

TR

Old 10-25-2005, 11:24   #42
vsvo
Area Commander

Quote:
I see that one of our law students is reading the thread. Perhaps he can explain why a class likely would not be certified in a case like this . . .
I don't think that was me, but may I take a shot if he doesn't?
vsvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:58   #43
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsvo
I don't think that was me, but may I take a shot if he doesn't?
Sure, but he's probably got a whole brief written by now. Just afraid to post it. LOL
Old 10-25-2005, 13:06   #44
HOLLiS
Area Commander

I had a friend recommend a rye with a beer chaser. he said the combination was excellent. I tried it and it is.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 13:10   #45
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I have to say that after enjoying the hospitality of RL the other night and meeting his family (including the lovely Catwoman), that we here at PS.com appear to have cornered the market on the best legal minds in the country.

Most of the time, you can't even tell they are lawyers.

TR