Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 04-19-2005, 20:01   #16
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbleypeg
Elijah Craig aged 18 years single barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Barreled on 12/17/81 Barrel No. 1149.
Initially I think vanilla. The long pods from Madagascar, crushed. A quick sip reveals strong black pepper and sourdough biscuits. There are hints of buttermilk, first sour then somehow enticing. As it settles onto the tongue I taste, cinnamon toast. This is Bourbon that requires Harry Crews novels, tough fiction full of passion and failure. Rather than Seersucker, the required clothing is by Filson’s somewhat sophisticated yet evolved from welder stock. I think leather chairs, tobacco brown with that smell of leather. At 18 a college freshman, however, this is Bourbon with a sense of accomplishment.
sampling is not drinking the whole bottle at one sitting...
it sounds like you did your taste test during breakfast...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 22:52   #17
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
sampling is not drinking the whole bottle at one sitting...
it sounds like you did your taste test during breakfast...
LMAO -- says who? Nice job, mumbley. This may be why he mumbles . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:10   #18
mumbleypeg
Guerrilla

My pour was not nearly as generous as the whopping inaugural tumbler of RL's.

"it sounds like you did your taste test during breakfast...". You say this like it's a bad thing.

You should see my review of Bookers..I was something along the lines of Pancakes and Maple syrup, on fire.

I look forward to more breakfast beverages.
mumbleypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 20:06   #19
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbleypeg
"it sounds like you did your taste test during breakfast...". You say this like it's a bad thing.
i did not...not every one taste tests whisky with breakfast...unless they eat breakfast before retiring for the day...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 00:38   #20
Bravo1-3
Guerrilla Chief

Bump

I have just returned from an evening on the bosses tab, and noticed a bottle of this behind the bar. While it did not remind me of eating breakfast in a leather chair ( ), or a Henry Crews novel, it definietly is a fine Bourbon.

It has a warm and inviting bouquet that didn't try to argue with my nose it was very friendly. It was not a sweet smell, but it wasn't brash or overpowering. While I enjoy the TASTE of bookers, the smell of it causes my throat to itch. This did nothing of the sort for me, and I knew I was in for something very special.

It was very smooth, and at the same time, very robust. Other brands in this price range tend to be betty OR brutte. This was a nice compromise that complemented the Onyx Lonsdales we were smoking perfectly. It is something to be savored rather than simply "downed". Very enjoyable. It did leave sort of a bitter-sweet caramel taste in my mouth when I was finished, but I can't imagine a better bourbon for the price. If I can find a bottle, I will certainly add it to the collection.

Also sampled this evening:
McCarthys Oregon Single Malt: Good, but wait for a reserve issue. It will be much better when they let it age for 10-12 years, and it's only a 5 year old company.

Heaven Hill 28 YO: It doesn't get much better, but a tad expensive.

Pappy Van Winkles 23 yo Family Reserve - Perfection in a bottle, and worth every penny.
"How can a pacifist, tolerant anti-violence, anti-hunting, anti Second Amendment, anti-self-defense group turn to violence against a party that is pro- all of that?" - The Reaper, 11Oct04 14:42hrs
Bravo1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 00:48   #21
mumbleypeg
Guerrilla

It is always good to drink on an expense account. Onyx Lonsdales, perhaps a better choice than leather couch. I will be chasing down the Van Winkles.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:05   #22
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo1-3
Pappy Van Winkles 23 yo Family Reserve - Perfection in a bottle, and worth every penny.
I wonder if anyone else has tried this . . .
Old 05-12-2005, 07:29   #23
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
I wonder if anyone else has tried this . . .

First post on this thread mentions it, and there are pics somewhere as well.

The PVW 20 y/o is outstanding, I cannot see how the 23 y/o could be any better.

PVW, the ne plus ultra of bourbons.

I highly recommend it for special occasions.

Unless you are wealthy, like lawyers, in which case you should drink it every day while you smoke Cohibas.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:30   #24
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Unless you are wealthy, like lawyers, in which case you should drink it every day while you smoke Cohibas.
I wish. I did buy a bottle, but I am waiting for a special occasion to open it.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:47   #25
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
You could be hit by a bus tomorrow, and never have tried it.

That a special enough occasion?

Get a copy of Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying" and crack it open.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 05-12-2005, 13:13   #26
mumbleypeg
Guerrilla

Quote:
Sunset is coming!
Old 05-12-2005, 14:23   #27
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Quote:
You're killing me brother...........

open it and drink man!

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 14:28   #28
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Jeez, twist my arm. Tell you what, my kid is having surgery next Tuesday. I'll open it to celebrate good results when it's over, OK?
Old 05-12-2005, 14:49   #29
Bravo1-3
Guerrilla Chief

You're not going to be sorry. That glass was the best $30 (of someone elses money) I've ever spent
"How can a pacifist, tolerant anti-violence, anti-hunting, anti Second Amendment, anti-self-defense group turn to violence against a party that is pro- all of that?" - The Reaper, 11Oct04 14:42hrs
Bravo1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 18:16   #30
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Bump.

Where is this report, Counsellor?

Inquiring minds want to know.

TR