Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 11-06-2004, 09:09   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Restaurant Review: 316 Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill

During a recent trip to Fayetteville, NC, I had the pleasure of dining here. The decor reminded me a little bit of Denny's, , but the food was excellent. I had a mixed seafood grill with grilled shrimp, scallops and salmon. Came with, among other things, corn on the cob cooked in something good -- I don't know what. I found the prices very reasonable compared to city grub. We drank Yuengling lager -- I never did see the entire beer/wine list, but there's a cocktail bar.

The highlight of the place is the Oyster Bar. They feature this thing called The Rooster, which is a saltine topped with a large pile (at least a tablespoon, maybe two!) of horseradish, a thick slice of jalapeno pepper, a large oyster, and a lot of tabasco and coarsely ground black pepper! If you eat three, you get a free t-shirt.

Here are photos of my three Roosters and the t-shirt they gave me for finishing them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 11_06_0.JPEG (219.0 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpeg 11_06_27.JPEG (207.0 KB, 101 views)
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 10:44   #2
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

What.... no pics of your face WHILE eating them???

Damn, I even asked real nice and stuff AM.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:43   #3
Doc
Quiet Professional

BTDT

Too bad Hay Street was long ago changed as it would have made an interesting follow up to that evening's festivities for you. Rick's Lounge comes to mind....

I remember my first visit to Hay Street in the late 70's. It reminded me of how the old west might have been.

De Oppresso Liber

Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:02   #4
TrapLine
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
During a recent trip to Fayetteville, NC, I had the pleasure of dining here. The decor reminded me a little bit of Denny's, , but the food was excellent. I had a mixed seafood grill with grilled shrimp, scallops and salmon. Came with, among other things, corn on the cob cooked in something good -- I don't know what. I found the prices very reasonable compared to city grub. We drank Yuengling lager -- I never did see the entire beer/wine list, but there's a cocktail bar.

The highlight of the place is the Oyster Bar. They feature this thing called The Rooster, which is a saltine topped with a large pile (at least a tablespoon, maybe two!) of horseradish, a thick slice of jalapeno pepper, a large oyster, and a lot of tabasco and coarsely ground black pepper! If you eat three, you get a free t-shirt.

Here are photos of my three Roosters and the t-shirt they gave me for finishing them.

I visited the 316 Oyster Bar this past week and had the tuna steak with corn on the cob and a couple of Yuenglings. It was a great meal with excellent company. The next time I visit that Rooster is dead.
Old 06-19-2010, 14:19   #5
37F
Asset

Yummy

I absolutley love this place. I have a cousin who works at the one in Fay. However I dont recomend the one in Raleigh. They had a lot of problems with the food and varmint. I will let you use your imagination
37F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 15:43   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37F View Post
I absolutley love this place. I have a cousin who works at the one in Fay. However I dont recomend the one in Raleigh. They had a lot of problems with the food and varmint. I will let you use your imagination
Are you perhaps, confusing 316 Oyster Bar in Fayetteville with 42nd Street Oyster Bar and Grill, in Raleigh?

There is only one 316, to my knowledge.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 15:54   #7
37F
Asset

Yes you are right. I am sorry about that.
37F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 21:11   #8
AngelsSix
Area Commander

I was waiting to hear if the place was any good, I've been past it many times going to the gun shows....now I know I can at least try it out..

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:12   #9
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsSix View Post
I was waiting to hear if the place was any good, I've been past it many times going to the gun shows....now I know I can at least try it out..
Don't wait for a gunshow, just go! (Besides - why would you waste time on a Fayetteville Gun Show when it's only 10 minutes more for you to go to Raleigh and attend a decent one?)
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 14:05   #10
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

RL,

Looks great,if I ever get back to Fayettville I'm damn sure I try those oysters!........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:40   #11
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

We stayed across the street from this restaurant and went there for dinner on a Wednesday night. Being from Alabama I grew up with a deep south style of seafood which is different from what this restaurant serves.

The hush puppies are made with honey and a large percentage of flour and no onions where I am used to a cornmeal style that is heavy on onions and black pepper.

The deviled crabs were heavily herbed to the point that there was no crab flavor detectable and were not served in their natural shell. They were left unfinished on the plate.

The grilled scallops had been exposed to the air for too long and were dried out before they were grilled and they were left unfinished on the plate.

The Fat Tire draft beer was good!

So for $92 I was pretty disappointed and I am a person who likes to eat fried crow and squirrel so I am not too finicky about my food.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:47   #12
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
We stayed across the street from this restaurant and went there for dinner on a Wednesday night. Being from Alabama I grew up with a deep south style of seafood which is different from what this restaurant serves.

The hush puppies are made with honey and a large percentage of flour and no onions where I am used to a cornmeal style that is heavy on onions and black pepper.

The deviled crabs were heavily herbed to the point that there was no crab flavor detectable and were not served in their natural shell. They were left unfinished on the plate.

The grilled scallops had been exposed to the air for too long and were dried out before they were grilled and they were left unfinished on the plate.

The Fat Tire draft beer was good!

So for $92 I was pretty disappointed and I am a person who likes to eat fried crow and squirrel so I am not too finicky about my food.
$92?........How many kids do you have?.........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:23   #13
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Hmmm- So should I eat there while at the Convention or not? Maybe just have some Fat Tire on tap?
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:26   #14
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
So for $92 I was pretty disappointed and I am a person who likes to eat fried crow
You just lost all credibility as a food critic.