Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 08-19-2012, 22:32   #31
Sarski

AAR report is here (in the "Who is making what today.") As I would like to (with Mods approval) have this thread for others who might be seeking recipies or ideas for cooking.

http://professionalsoldiers.com/foru...d=1#post464111
Old 08-21-2012, 18:40   #32
XngZeRubicon
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes View Post
This is a recipe I have made several times with ground pork and is great during the summer.

The origin of this dish is Southeast Asia, or what used to be reffered to as, "East Indies," "Indo-China," and Malay Penninsula." It is very simple to make, (think modern day lettuce cups found at Asian Restaurants.)

The below will yield four servings, so convert to make more if need be. Let me know how it turns out with the ground Moose!

Ma Hor
(Galloping Horses)

1 TBL Vegetable oil
2 tsp Garlic, minced
1 Cup Ground Pork (Pork is traditional-Use the Moose instead.)
1 tsp Fish sauce (nam pla)
2 TBL Brown Sugar
1/8 tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
1/4 Cup Peanuts, coursely chopped
1 Butter lettuce, head, separated into leaves
2 Tangerines, peeled, pith and white fibers removed, cut horizontally into 1/3 inch thick, or pineapple wedges

Garnish
1/4 Cup Mint leaves
1/4 Cup Cilantro leaves
2 Red chiles, fresh, seeded, cut into thin shreads

Procedure
1. Heat wok over medium heat. When hot, add oil. Add garlic, and stir-fry for thirty seconds.
2. Add Moose, fish sauce, brown sugar, and black pepper. Stir fry until Moose is cooked.
3. Stir in peanuts; mix. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Place lettuce leaves on serving platter. Arrange tangerine slices on lettuce. 5. Place a heapiong teaspoon of meat on each slice.
6. Garnish with mint and cilanto leaves.

Serve chilled with chiles on the side.

The author and title of the book containing this recipe: Michael F. Nenes, "International Cusine."

I've been on this website for 5 minutes and I'm already salivating at the yummy posts.
XngZeRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 18:43   #33
XngZeRubicon
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarski View Post
A customer of mine just traded me about 15 lbs of Copper River (Alaska) red salmon filets, and about 1 and 1/4 lbs ground moose (plus some breakfast raindeer sausage) for my last months of service. In sept. I ill get more moose, but I am looking for some kick ass sugestions for the salmon and the moose. Maybe a chillli or lasagna with the moose? Tacos??? Any suggestions welcome!
I know you started this two months ago, Sarski, but have you ever had salmon with mango, cilantro, jalapenos, and those types of ingredients? I also use it on tilapio.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:38   #34
Sarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by XngZeRubicon View Post
I know you started this two months ago, Sarski, but have you ever had salmon with mango, cilantro, jalapenos, and those types of ingredients? I also use it on tilapio.
Oh yea, good stuff. I like that mango salsa when I'm near the beach, and served on the side. The resteraunts around here offer it from time to time, but it just isn't the same.
Old 08-30-2012, 19:25   #35
XngZeRubicon
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarski View Post
Oh yea, good stuff. I like that mango salsa when I'm near the beach, and served on the side. The resteraunts around here offer it from time to time, but it just isn't the same.
Actually, I've never had it in a restaurant or at the beach....only cooked at home. You have me curious about what makes it better at the beach than in restaurants. I'm easy, I'd scoop it up anywhere.