Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 06-17-2012, 22:06   #1
Sarski

Looking for Recipies

A customer of mine just traded me about 15 lbs of Copper River (Alaska) red salmon filets, and about 1 and 1/4 lbs ground moose (plus some breakfast raindeer sausage) for my last months of service. In sept. I ill get more moose, but I am looking for some kick ass sugestions for the salmon and the moose. Maybe a chillli or lasagna with the moose? Tacos??? Any suggestions welcome!

Last edited by Sarski; 06-17-2012 at 22:09.
Old 06-18-2012, 16:05   #2
Sarski

Looks like I am good in the seafood department. Just need some suggestions for the moose. I've never had moose before, so I don't want to just try anything from the internet recipie files. I am looking for a recipie/suggestion/recomendation.

The meat is frozen, so there isn't any rush.
Old 06-18-2012, 16:11   #3
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarski View Post
Looks like I am good in the seafood department. Just need some suggestions for the moose.
Frozen, eh? Chocolate moose springs to mind...
Old 06-18-2012, 16:40   #4
Sarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Now that's my kind of moose!
Old 06-18-2012, 19:01   #5
Penn
Area Commander

Sharing the wealth comes to mind, I could experiment with several recipes and then fwd to you, in that way you would not waste any product; and the greater community would benefit through the Professional execution of each dish...... I'll pay for shipping
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 19:57   #6
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Dusty,I swear you really missed your calling........ It wasn't SF,you should be working for Leno.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 20:14   #7
BigJimCalhoun
Guerrilla

Quote:
I'm a miserable bastard that rarely laughs, but that was funny.
BigJimCalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 20:51   #8
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

what parts of the moose do you have? if you have the tenderloin, cold smoke it and slice it like carpaccio....my buds from alaska make jerky (and lots of it) out of the rest....you might find an ok steak on the animal...oil it...spice and salt it heavily and grill it rare...
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 20:52   #9
Sarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Sharing the wealth comes to mind, I could experiment with several recipes and then fwd to you, in that way you would not waste any product; and the greater community would benefit through the Professional execution of each dish...... I'll pay for shipping
Ha! Somehow I don't see the greater community getting to enjoy anything past your experimenting stage.

Last edited by Sarski; 06-18-2012 at 20:57.
Old 06-18-2012, 20:55   #10
Sarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsquid View Post
what parts of the moose do you have? if you have the tenderloin, cold smoke it and slice it like carpaccio....my buds from alaska make jerky (and lots of it) out of the rest....you might find an ok steak on the animal...oil it...spice and salt it heavily and grill it rare...
It is already ground...not sure what cut it is.
Old 06-18-2012, 20:59   #11
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
o well shit...nothin but burgers and meatloaf then...maybe a lasagna...
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:16   #12
echoes
Area Commander

Go Asian?

Quote:
This is a recipe I have made several times with ground pork and is great during the summer.

The origin of this dish is Southeast Asia, or what used to be reffered to as, "East Indies," "Indo-China," and Malay Penninsula." It is very simple to make, (think modern day lettuce cups found at Asian Restaurants.)

The below will yield four servings, so convert to make more if need be. Let me know how it turns out with the ground Moose!

Ma Hor
(Galloping Horses)

1 TBL Vegetable oil
2 tsp Garlic, minced
1 Cup Ground Pork (Pork is traditional-Use the Moose instead.)
1 tsp Fish sauce (nam pla)
2 TBL Brown Sugar
1/8 tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
1/4 Cup Peanuts, coursely chopped
1 Butter lettuce, head, separated into leaves
2 Tangerines, peeled, pith and white fibers removed, cut horizontally into 1/3 inch thick, or pineapple wedges

Garnish
1/4 Cup Mint leaves
1/4 Cup Cilantro leaves
2 Red chiles, fresh, seeded, cut into thin shreads

Procedure
1. Heat wok over medium heat. When hot, add oil. Add garlic, and stir-fry for thirty seconds.
2. Add Moose, fish sauce, brown sugar, and black pepper. Stir fry until Moose is cooked.
3. Stir in peanuts; mix. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Place lettuce leaves on serving platter. Arrange tangerine slices on lettuce. 5. Place a heapiong teaspoon of meat on each slice.
6. Garnish with mint and cilanto leaves.

Serve chilled with chiles on the side.

The author and title of the book containing this recipe: Michael F. Nenes, "International Cusine."

Last edited by echoes; 06-19-2012 at 06:20. Reason: typo
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:02   #13
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Echoes- From the name, it has to be Thai. "Ma" has several meanings in Thai- it can also mean, mother, come as in come here(Ma nee!), depending on the inflection. You must be careful when using the word 'ma'. If you aren't careful you can call your mother in law a horse, which doesn't go over well...

If it calls for Nam Pla, it is from Thailand. If it called for Nuoc Mam, it would have been Vietnamese...

Last edited by mark46th; 06-19-2012 at 10:03.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 13:00   #14
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Echoes- From the name, it has to be Thai. "Ma" has several meanings in Thai- it can also mean, mother, come as in come here(Ma nee!), depending on the inflection. You must be careful when using the word 'ma'. If you aren't careful you can call your mother in law a horse, which doesn't go over well...

If it calls for Nam Pla, it is from Thailand. If it called for Nuoc Mam, it would have been Vietnamese...
Thank you Sir! Would definately not want to experience that gaff, and now thanks to you, it will be avoided.

Hope someone gives this recipe a try...as it has been known to charm the savage beast in my experience.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 13:41   #15
Sarski

Sounds pretty tasty, echoes. Looks light for summer too. I think I will try it out in the next few weeks. I was thinking maybe a chili, but that will have to wait till winter.