Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 05-19-2012, 15:18   #16
smp52
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
According to my mom, who was raised in Mussoori in the foothills of Himalayas, Southern Indian food is much spicier (hotter) than the northern.

I'll have to try those curry brands you recommend. I haven't found one yet that I really like so I mostly don't use it. My Indian cooking tends to have a lot of mustard seed, cumin seed, turmeric, and other spices tossed in. It's worth the space they take in the cupboard.

Susan
I should definitely clarify, Southern Indian food can pack a wallop too. It's really hard to peg subcontinental food one way just because there are large variances from region to region. It's like trying to compare food from the Mediterranean region. There are lots of similarities, but each country really does have it's unique dishes.

We've got all the spices too and yes, once you get a feel of how to manipulate the spices it's better off having the individual spices for sure (which we do), however the spice mixes are definitely workable and they've gotten better. Many years ago they QC on them wasn't as good, now that they're marketing stuff world wide, it's gotten better though YMMV. There is definitely nothing like fresh spices, though. Also, if anyone keeps bulk Indian spices around, ziplocs and the refrigerator can help extend the life. Use only in small quantities (small spice bottle) at a time.
smp52 is offline   Reply With Quote