Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 01-11-2012, 18:37   #76
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Well last night I CUI (cooked under the influence). Left over roast beef, green beans, red bliss potatoes and brown gravey. Not bad.

Tonight I am going to make a red sauce, eggplant parm, hot italian sausage and meatballs. Al lpretty easy, takes about 2 hours for all. The eggplant is a plain, fried frozen prepared type. Very good and no big mess to clean up. The only thing the eggplant misses is that taste of olive oil.

The wife has to help me with the garlic bread though. she has just the right amount of garlic to butter for a "drenched" type of garlic bread. She covers all of the bread with the ingredients, bakes it for an hour.
Ahem. Regarding the gravy, aka pasta sauce, the best way to make it is on a day when you have the time to cook it low and slow for about 4 hours. The ingredients must marry in order to taste the best.

You could warm up the eggplant slightly by giving it a 1 minute fry on both side in some olive oil.

If you want to impress the wife with some good garlic bread, mix equal parts of butter and olive oil in a fry pan. Smash a few or several garlic cloves and put into the oil. Cook on low for a few minutes then let it set at least 20 minutes so the garlic infuses oil/butter mixture. (alternately you can crush/mince the garlic and leave it in the mix so you can get garlic pieces on the bread) When you're ready to make the bread, dip slices into the garlic butter/oil, sprinkle with some sea salt and freshly cracked pepper (or not) and broil it, watch closely so it doesn't burn! It won't take long, maybe 5 minutes or less.

Last edited by Gypsy; 01-11-2012 at 18:39.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:12   #77
Stopp700
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
Ahem. Regarding the gravy, aka pasta sauce, the best way to make it is on a day when you have the time to cook it low and slow for about 4 hours. The ingredients must marry in order to taste the best.

You could warm up the eggplant slightly by giving it a 1 minute fry on both side in some olive oil.

If you want to impress the wife with some good garlic bread, mix equal parts of butter and olive oil in a fry pan. Smash a few or several garlic cloves and put into the oil. Cook on low for a few minutes then let it set at least 20 minutes so the garlic infuses oil/butter mixture. (alternately you can crush/mince the garlic and leave it in the mix so you can get garlic pieces on the bread) When you're ready to make the bread, dip slices into the garlic butter/oil, sprinkle with some sea salt and freshly cracked pepper (or not) and broil it, watch closely so it doesn't burn! It won't take long, maybe 5 minutes or less.
Back when we were first married my wife would make an all day sauce(she calls it a sauce), sounds like yours. she would save pork bones and put them in the freezer to use in the gravy. Thanks for the info on the bread!
Stopp700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 18:55   #78
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Gypsy- Your Lobster Mac sounds great. I copied it and put it into my recipe book.
Hope you enjoy! Got the recipe from Ina Garten on Food Network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Back when we were first married my wife would make an all day sauce(she calls it a sauce), sounds like yours. she would save pork bones and put them in the freezer to use in the gravy. Thanks for the info on the bread!
Oh yes, pork bones, necks you name it...then again a quick sauce is always good too. You're welcome!
Old 01-14-2012, 00:42   #79
Sarski

Made 13 bean soup tonight.

1 package 13 beans
3 ham hocks
1 med onion
8 cloves garlic
2 celery stalks, also some of leafy portion
1 can diced tomato
2 can tomato sauce

salt, pepper, chilli powder, bay leaves to taste.

soaked beans over night, placed in crockpot on low with ham hocks in a.m., with onion and garlic.

Had to transfer to bigger pot in evening to add other ingredients, plus beans were not quite done yet.

After about 1 hour of additional simmering, it came out pretty close to perfection.

EDIT: Looks like I made a gallon, maybe a gallon and a half or so. Plenty for family and leftovers.

Last edited by Sarski; 01-14-2012 at 00:45.
Old 01-21-2012, 20:49   #80
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Gypsy-I made your seafood Mac tonight. Thanks! I owe you one.... It was delicious!
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:22   #81
33army
Guerrilla

Lager Waffles with Rosemary Vanilla Maple syrup

Serves: 4 waffles

Ingredients:

* Waffles:
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup Yuengling Traditional Lager
* 1/4 cup whole milk
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1 egg
* 4 teaspoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* ---
* Rosemary-vanilla syrup:
* 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
* 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
* 1 sprig (about 3 inches) fresh
* rosemary

Instructions:

• Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, lager, milk, oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined, taking care not to overmix. Let the batter sit 30 minutes.

• While the batter rests, combine the syrup, remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and rosemary in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer, then keep warm over low heat.

• Preheat a waffle iron. Spoon between 1/3 and 1/2 cup of the batter onto the grid (no need to oil it first; the oil in the batter is sufficient). Spread with a rubber spatula, cover and cook according to the manufacturer’s directions until golden and crisp. Repeat with remaining batter, and serve immediately with the warm syrup.

• For crispy waffles, place cooked waffles directly on the bottom rack of a preheated 400-degree oven for 2 to 3 minutes.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:45   #82
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Gypsy-I made your seafood Mac tonight. Thanks! I owe you one.... It was delicious!
It IS good, isn't it? Glad you enjoyed it! Ina Garten can really put a great spin on a classic!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:36   #83
Stopp700
Asset

POT cooking

Ok, today I have chuck roast covered with a half cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup brown suger, half cup of red vineger, a ton of garlic chopped, two onions chopped with a red pepper chopped. On "topp" of it are three sliced portabella mushrooms. This is an all day cook, 10hours on low. I think I should of put some hot peppers in it, maybe at noon time I will do that. Sounds good.
Stopp700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 16:51   #84
Gypsy
Area Commander

Just made up a big pot of....

ratatouille, with chicken.

Roasted some sweet potatoes and even made some cornbread. I know...odd combination. But good.
Old 02-05-2012, 18:43   #85
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Last night made Roast Loin of Wild Boar stuffed with Chorizo, sauteed zuchinni, summer squash, baby carrots and mushrooms and Red Beans and Rice. I sliced open the loin, cut a V shape out of the bottom piece where I placed the Chorizo. I laid the V shaped piece along the edge then replaced the top piece of the loin. I used a dry rub on the meat then roasted it for 1 hour at 375. I pulled it from the oven to rest and drizzled a Carolina vinegar/mustard sauce. Wine was a Paso Robles, California Cabernet. I was not at home so no pictures but it was very good...

Last edited by mark46th; 02-05-2012 at 18:52.
Old 02-09-2012, 20:57   #86
echoes
Area Commander

Smile

Just made Ma Hor, "Galloping Horses," a Southeast Asian dish. It is basically a Lettuce Wrap, and here is my spin...

Have the butcher grind a sirloin steak for you, course.
Buy a head of Butter or Bib lettuce.
Dry roast some peanuts, and rough chop.
Grab some Mayo, and whisk in some chopped chipolte peppers.
Get a watermelon, peel and cube the meat in a medium dice.
Grate some fresh ginger into a a small bowl.
And finally, have some freshly ground roasted Cumin.

Now you are ready to gallop!

*Peel the lettuce into leaves, then half into cups.

*Sprinkle the cumin onto the watermelon cubes and toss in the bowl.

*Brown the steak, adding a little soy sauce and fresh ginger.

*Place a heaping spoonful of meat into the lettuce cup and top with the cumin dusted watermelon.

*Top with chopped peanuts, and drizzle the chipolte mayo on last.

*Enjoy!

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 00:29   #87
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Last night made Roast Loin of Wild Boar stuffed with Chorizo, sauteed zuchinni, summer squash, baby carrots and mushrooms and Red Beans and Rice. I sliced open the loin, cut a V shape out of the bottom piece where I placed the Chorizo. I laid the V shaped piece along the edge then replaced the top piece of the loin. I used a dry rub on the meat then roasted it for 1 hour at 375. I pulled it from the oven to rest and drizzled a Carolina vinegar/mustard sauce. Wine was a Paso Robles, California Cabernet. I was not at home so no pictures but it was very good...
If you need a sous chef let me know, I can be in Kalif in a few hours.......
Old 02-10-2012, 14:48   #88
mark46th
Quiet Professional

TS- I thought you are the Executive Chef? I'm the sous chef...
Old 02-10-2012, 14:52   #89
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
TS- I thought you are the Executive Chef? I'm the sous chef...
We can work that out if we're doing roast loin of wild boar! I'm a pretty good cook. Have knives will travel. (I think I read that my knives cannot be over six inches by Calif law and I cannot be in possession of more than 3 at a time.)
Old 02-10-2012, 15:09   #90
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Well, that was my last loin. I am going up to King City, next month to shoot another pig. You are more than welcome to join us....