Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 07-01-2012, 11:32   #16
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes View Post
Dusty Sir,

Trying new things is something I enjoy....will report back if a successful Quiche can be made with those ingredients.

Have you ever tried Quiche?

Holly
No, ma'am. I don't like the looks or smell of spongy, eggy food. Don't like souffle, either.

I like juevos rancheros, that's about as close as it gets.

I hope everyone has the decorum to refrain from any juevos puns or innuendos in front of a lady...
Old 07-01-2012, 11:46   #17
Sarski

On a side note, the Korean version of egg soufle/omlet is far more spongy than quiche (which I don't find all that spongy, but that's just me). I am talking super spongy, and wet, and served cold as one of their before meal appetizer...and practically tasteless. I really enjoy Korean food (kim chee in my fridge, toasted seaweed in cupboard as I type), but their eggs left me feeling like I was actually eating a cold, wet kitchen sponge.

EDIT: Corrected my writing to actually make some sense.

Last edited by Sarski; 07-01-2012 at 11:51.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:47   #18
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
No, ma'am. I don't like the looks or smell of spongy, eggy food. Don't like souffle, either.

I hope everyone has the decorum to refrain from any juevos puns or innuendos in front of a lady...
Dusty

Hate to admit it but your a man after my own heart.............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:54   #19
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:

Dusty Sir,

Just an FWI for the future? It is Huevos not Juevos... And glad to know that you like this dish...in case I ever run in to you, and you need some breakfast Sir!

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/huevos_rancheros/

Huevos Rancheros Recipe
Cook time: 20 minutes

The recipe is flexible, sometimes we use canned salsa and just add a few more chopped tomatoes and some chopped pickled jalapenos to make the sauce. Sometimes if we have some leftover refried beans, we'll spread some on the tortillas before topping them with the eggs and salsa. My mother has been known to add a pinch of sugar to the salsa sauce if she feels it's too acidic for her taste.

Ingredients
Olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped (about a half cup)
1 15-ounce can whole tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted, if you can get it (or 1 -2 large fresh vine-ripened tomatoes, when in season)
1/2 6-ounce can diced green Anaheim chiles
Chipotle chili powder, adobo sauce, or ground cumin to taste (optional)
4 corn tortillas
Butter
4 fresh eggs
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
Method

1. Make the sauce first by softening the onions in a little olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Once translucent, add the tomatoes and the juice the tomatoes are packed in. Break up the tomatoes with your fingers as you put them in the pan. If you are using fresh tomatoes, chop them first, then add.

Note that fresh tomatoes will take longer to cook as canned tomatoes are already cooked to begin with. Add chopped green chilies. Add additional chili to taste, either chipotle chili powder, adobo sauce, regular chili powder, or even ground cumin. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and let simmer while you do the rest of the cooking, stirring occasionally. Reduce to warm after it has been simmering for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste if needed.

2. Prepare the tortillas. Heat the oven to a warm 150°F, place serving plates in the oven to keep warm. Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high, coating the pan with the oil. One by one (or more if your pan is big enough) heat the tortillas in the pan, a minute or two on each side, until they are heated through, softened, and pockets of air bubble up inside of them. Then remove them and stack them on one of the warming plates in the oven to keep warm while you continue cooking the rest of the tortillas and the eggs.

3. Fry the eggs. Using the same skillet as was used for the tortillas, add a little butter to the pan, about two teaspoons for 4 eggs. Heat the pan on medium high heat. Crack 4 eggs into the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes for runny yolks, more for firmer eggs.

To serve, spoon a little of the sauce onto a warmed plate. Top with a tortilla, then a fried egg. Top with more sauce, sprinkle with cilantro if desired.

Serve either one or two eggs/tortillas per plate, depending on how much you want to eat. I'm a 2-egg 2 tortilla person myself.

Yield: Makes 2-4 servings, depending on your appetite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg huevos-rancheros (2).jpg (17.7 KB, 16 views)
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:41   #20
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Have you ever tried Quiche?
Next time just call it a bacon and egg pie and Dusty will be good to go...

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 13:58   #21
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
Old 07-01-2012, 18:46   #22
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
MR2 Sir,

Cannot do that as Chef Penn will find out and be mad.

Plus, Sir Dusty could maybe benefit from the expanded knowledge? hehehe

Holly

Last edited by echoes; 07-01-2012 at 18:52. Reason: oh well
Old 07-01-2012, 18:48   #23
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
MR2 Sir,

Cannot do that as Chef Penn will find out and be mad.

Plus, Sir Dusty could maybe benefit from the expanded knowledge? hehehe

Holly

(Now, we better get back to some Quiche refferences before we get in trouble....)
I'm already in trouble.
Old 07-02-2012, 14:04   #24
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Quote:
Why thank you.

Actually the knife is a "Chef's Knife", by designation, and is a Wustoff Classic x 50 Cr Mo V 15. It was handforged in Solingen, Germany.

(That is what the sales lady said anyway...)

It is an essential part of my toolkit, and used daily.

Am hopeful that soon my account balance will allow me to purchase the Harsey kitchen set.....that is going to rock!

Holly
I recognized the knife and I'll bet it is a pleasure to work with. I saved up and bought a set of knives from the other Germany maker out of Cabelas thinking both manufacturers were the same. I was wrong and wished I had chosen differently, some now have rust spots cracked handles and broken tips. Any more I purchase will be from Wustoff and I will be more careful. I also did not know Harsey made chefs knives and will look at his site.

The only other thing I can mention is that if you can get your hands on some truly Free Range eggs give them a try. I try and keep around 12 hens running around here and their eggs are quite different from that in the store to include what they call free range eggs. I say try.... The coyotes and I are now in conflict as we have lost 4 birds as of late again this year. In spite of several traps which they use as slalom course markers, several snares at there perceived and observed ingress point, cleared free fire zones, next I'll be setting out anti intrusion sensors....alas probably better for another thread. Cunning Foes...

Edit: I saw the red on the knife in the image and assumed it was a Henkle (SP?). My knives are Wusthof's too but labeled Gourmet, I am guessing maybe they don't go into the dish washer and guests don't always understand what nice knives are...

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 07-03-2012 at 08:30.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:37   #25
echoes
Area Commander

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
I I also did not know Harsey made chefs knives
The below is the site I have seen on the net....and oh wow... someday...

http://www.flying-cloud.com/harsey-knife/kitchen.html

Premium Three-piece Kitchen Knife Set

ATF-34 Stainless Steel
Kokobolo handles

Holly
Old 07-02-2012, 17:32   #26
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Knives and Carving Fork

Those are Works of Art, thank you for sharing.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 20:31   #27
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Real men will eat just about anything

As a barbarian I eat simple Quiche. Fry up a bunch of leftover stuff from the frig, set aside, scramble up about four eggs, fry in the pan, when just about done dump in the other stuff, sprinkle the top with grated cheese, a couple of spoon fulls of Salsa, a glob of sour cream and eat it all right from the pan - I hate to do dishes.
Finish it off in the oven for a few minutes and you can be all fancy-like and call it a fritatta.
Old 07-03-2012, 20:32   #28
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
I am trouble.
Fixed that for you.