Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 08-05-2007, 18:34   #16
Auxiliary

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
The ribs have been in the oven for about 4.5 hours. Grilling phase will start shortly. Great way to celebrate the 4th of July!
Here's a rib recipe that I think is the best I have encountered. Takes some time....but you get to marinate the chef during that period.....

Barbecue Ribs Marinade

1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
4 TBS brown sugar
1/2 TBS salt
Dash Tabasco Sauce
1/2 cup Worcester sauce
1/8 tsp. Liquid Smoke
Marinade Ribs in plastic bag overnight in refrigerator
Drain and pat ribs dry before cooking
Cook on low heat - longer, slower cooking
Apply barbecue sauce the last 20 minutes.

Barbecue Sauce

1 onion, chopped
2 TBS. Garlic
2T vegetable oil
Sauté onions and garlic
1/4 cup chili powder
1 cup tomato paste
1 cup Worcester sauce
1 cup coffee
1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 cup brown sugar
Simmer
8944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 21:14   #17
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
I am making these again this afternoon, so I thought I would bump the recipe for those who have not tried it. Truly the best ribs ever. I am trying Jim Beam BBQ sauce this time for 7 of the 8 racks I am making, plus a dry rub I made myself for the last rack.

Yes, TS, I know I should have told you to stay another day. LOL
I was wondering why my nose was sniffing me up toward LA today. I thought it was just my imagination....
Old 10-04-2008, 16:27   #18
Auditor
Asset

It's grillin' time this afternoon!

I have used this recipe about six times over the last year with great results! For those carnivores among you that have not experienced these, do yourself a favor and try the Team Sergeant's recipe.

For the last few iterations, I have tweaked the recipe slightly: instead of applying BBQ sauce before baking, I have been applying a basic BBQ rub acquired from a Steven Raichlen cookbook. They turn out quite nice!

Basic BBQ Rub

1/4 cup coarse salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
3 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp dried onion flakes
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp celery seeds
Auditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 20:08   #19
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

Sounds like great recipes. One caution - if the directions start with "Debone the ribs", leave them in the refrigerator and stick to the beer.
Soft Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:02   #20
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
I couldn't find the recipe here (I'm going to make them shortly), so I'm stealing it from the original site of posting for ease of reference. (Post below is by TS, not me.)

I have had the pleasure of sampling these, and they are fantastic.

2-6 Racks of (very meaty) Ribs
Kraft BBQ sauce (one bottle per rack)
Tabasco to taste
Grilling Tongs and Grill
Long BBQ sauce brush.
Six pack of beer on ice.

Start with the best BBR (Baby Back Ribs) you can find. Nice big racks.

Purchase Kraft BBQ sauce, I know its Kraft BBQ sauce but it’s how it’s grilled that makes it great.

Heat oven to 180 degrees, not one degree hotter!!!!!!! (Any hotter and the meat will shrivel off the bone. We want the meat to stay on the bone.)

Place racks on a cookie sheet, usually I place two racks on one cookie sheet.

Cover with BBQ sauce. (about a cup per rack) And place a tinfoil “tent” over the ribs. (We are trying to keep the moisture in the tent, and gently cook the ribs without boiling the flavor away.) And place in oven for 4-6 hours.

(Last 20 minutes get grill and cooler of beer ready. Once you place the ribs on the grill you will not be leaving the grill for about 45 minutes.)

Safety tip; When removing ribs from the oven the cookie sheet will have at least a ¼-1/2 inch of water in the bottom, carefully remove from oven and place on a flat surface.

Remove tinfoil tent. Remove ribs and place on cutting board. Cut down the middle on both sides of each bone ensuring there is meat on both sides of the bone. (Note; if you cut along the edge of the ribs the meat will fall off the bone during the grilling phase)

Place 2 bottles of Kraft BBQ sauce in a bowl and season with Tabasco to taste.

Now the fun part, place all the individual ribs in a large bowl, or on a large cutting board and grab your cooler, chair, tongs, brush and head to the grill. (If you are a clean fanatic do not try this recipe. It will make a mess of your grill.)

I use a two level propane grill, but if you use a charcoal grill you need to have a cool spot for ribs.

Open Beer and place all ribs on a med fire. Turn all ribs in same direction and coat generously with BBQ sauce (it should be dripping off the ribs). The reason for the dress right dress is knowing what ribs have been coated and what side was coated last.

Turn ribs every few minutes and coat, turn and coat, turn and coat. Get the idea? We are trying to “caramelize” the BBQ sauce onto the ribs and also give them a “slight” burn. Because we are coating so heavily the is always a chance for a flare up, if it occurs you have to move quickly and have to decide on one of two courses of action;

Option One, quickly and without delay move all the ribs from the offending flames to a cooler section of the grill.

Option two, use the beer in your left hand to quiet the flames. (I hate wasting beer so I use option one most of the time.)

(Note; If you are not a grill master DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THE GRILL! Not even for a minute. If you do Murphy will know and a “flame up” will occur burning your ribs to a crisp in a matter of seconds.)

Keep turning and coating the ribs, it is a 45 minute non stop process. Ribs are done then the BBQ sauce is caramelized onto the ribs and the ribs have a slight to med slight burn.

I usually make more then necessary, they are just as good the next day!

Enjoy.
RL,

I stumbled upon this post and after seeing the end results I tried them and all I can say is "outstanding".......

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 15:15   #21
XJWoody
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
RL,

I stumbled upon this post and after seeing the end results I tried them and all I can say is "outstanding".......

GB TFS
I fixed up a couple batches last Saturday (pork baby backs and beef short ribs) and everyone was impressed. I will most certainly be doing ribs this way from now on.

Also got a batch of Jess Hall's seasoned salt in the mail yesterday... so far so good, will give it a try on some ribeyes this weekend.

Thanks to the TS for the GREAT recipie!
XJWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 22:44   #22
AngelsSix
Area Commander

Post BUMP!!

I want to try these REALLY bad, but before I do, I have one question. Can I use a glass Pyrex dish instead of the cookie sheet? I have cooked ribs like that before and they were good. I was just curious if there would be a difference in how they cooked.

Thanks!!

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:19   #23
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsSix View Post
Post BUMP!!

I want to try these REALLY bad, but before I do, I have one question. Can I use a glass Pyrex dish instead of the cookie sheet? I have cooked ribs like that before and they were good. I was just curious if there would be a difference in how they cooked.

Thanks!!

I guess as long as you don't end up "boiling" the ribs in their own juices.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:01   #24
Penn
Area Commander

Why you would not want to follow a recipe that has been certified as near perfect amazes me.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:05   #25
AngelsSix
Area Commander

I was just hoping to create less of a mess in my oven. I knwo some of you men don't worry about that, but us women who have to clean it up afterward do!!

Thanks!! I know what I am making for dinner this weekend.

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 18:17   #26
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
I was just hoping to create less of a mess in my oven. I knwo some of you men don't worry about that, but us women who have to clean it up afterward do!!

Thanks!! I know what I am making for dinner this weekend.
Aluminum foil is good for more than just hats, K. Wrap the grates in your oven with foil. I use the heavy duty type. If any little thing spills over from the cookie sheet it will only get on the foil. This also keeps the grates clean, as well as the oven bottom.
Old 04-09-2009, 19:14   #27
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
I just leave the oven door open and let the dog clean it. Works fine. <--- Dog licking.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:40   #28
LibraryLady
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
Aluminum foil is good for more than just hats, K. Wrap the grates in your oven with foil. I use the heavy duty type. If any little thing spills over from the cookie sheet it will only get on the foil. This also keeps the grates clean, as well as the oven bottom.
If you do that, you reduce the air circulation in the oven which can cause hot/cold spots.

A potentially really messy dish has me laying foil with the dull side up on the bottom of the oven itself.

LL
Old 04-10-2009, 09:43   #29
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post

So you're saying those grates should be "clean"?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:09   #30
afchic
Area Commander

I did TS' ribs this past weekend and they were a huge hit with the family. My 20 year old son, who claims to HATE ribs, sat down and ate a whole rack and a half by himself.

I made some cornbread to go along with it. Added a can of corn to the recipe, and cooked it in the cast iron skillet in the oven. Kids ate the whole damn thing. I got one little sliver. Last time I will make cornbread when they are around!!!
afchic is offline   Reply With Quote