Old 05-26-2012, 10:52   #1
Michelle
Hornet Nest Poker

Cooler corn?

My MIL forwarded this to me.

Has anyone tried it? I am having a big get together BBQ next weekend for the kids high school graduation, and this sounds like a great way to do corn on the cob if it will actually work. I don't want it to be a "fail" when I have 30 guests over to eat though, so any input would be appreciated!

=========

Cooler corn: I was hepped to it while visiting my family in Maine. Short story: We like corn on the cob. And with eight adults at the table, that means a couple of dozen ears. We would have used the lobster pot to cook them all, but the lobster pot was busy steaming lobster.

Then my sister, a capable Maine cook with years of camping experience, says "let's do cooler corn!" Before I can ask "what the hell is cooler corn?" a Coleman cooler appears from the garage, is wiped clean, then filled with the shucked ears. Next, two kettles-full of boiling water are poured over the corn and the top closed.

Then nothing.

When we sat down to dinner 30 minutes later and opened it, the corn was perfectly cooked. My mind was blown. And I'm told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours.

=================

m1
Old 05-26-2012, 12:15   #2
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Did you try googling?

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/coolercorn.asp

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:43   #3
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
And I'm told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours.

=================

m1
Michelle,

Real quick, remember, anything that is left in its cooking liquid is going to continue to cook, so take that in to account when holding the corn. My "optional" suggestion is to simply wrap each ear in foil, and when you build the campfire, stick the corn in with the coals after it is lit.

Given your preference of done-ness, about an hour later pull it out, and let it rest away from the heat. (You can put butter ans salt inside the foil, but it will probobly drip.)

Just a suggestion, and happy camping!

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:16   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

M1,

Perfect corn is in the mouth of the eater. Perfect corn for me is accomplished by placing an ear of corn in boiling water for seven minutes and then promptly removing and serving.
As was said corn on the cob will continue to cook, how long it "holds" is beyond me. I would test it. I like the cooler corn method, again , test it on a few ears before you go for the big batch. Big batch cooking takes more into account, how much corn vs. how much hot water.

You can also grill corn, in the husk. You can parboil http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-parboiling.htm the corn and finish the cooking at the site. There's a lot you can do to forgo the headache of screwing the dish up.

I would definitely try the cooler method, with a whole lot more water and I would also do the parboil to cut down my cooking time. Up to you. I might also incorporate the corn into another dish such as "cowboy caviar" (google it).

Test the dish before the big day. Then figure out the ratio of water to corn so you know what to do for 30 ears of corn.

TS
Old 05-28-2012, 08:48   #5
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Why not just set the corn on top of the lobster with a foil cover?
I use boiling water with a little salt and sugar for 3-4 minutes. If it is just my wife and I, in the microwave at 2 minutes per ear.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:16   #6
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Go to the store and pickup a cheap soup Pot. $20.00 in the PX. You never can have enough LG Pots. Why damage a Cooler.

If you poor Boiling water in a cooler you may damage the liner.......
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:27   #7
Michelle
Hornet Nest Poker

Thanks for all the replies\input.

Although it sounded like a neat idea, I'm going to forgo it for now and just follow TS and others advice and cook it old school style in a huge pot, but play around with the cooler method when there isn't a bunch of hungry guest's appetites at stake. That way I can dial it in as I go until I get it perfected.

Thanks again!
m1