Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 03-03-2012, 06:03   #16
fasteddie565
Quiet Professional

Holsters, magazines and gun gear in general are like shoes and socks. We get lots of questions on shoes, boots and socks as well. The bottom line is that what make my feet happy, at my build, weight and use may not be good for you. While I also believe that asking for some do's and don't's is sound. Ultimately, picking the right gear for your gun is like picking the right combination of boots and socks. What fits you may not be worth a flip to your mate.

An example shows a general disdain for Kimpro magazines by Kimber. My local gun store stocks them and I shoot the piss out of them. On the other hand, many here praise Wilson Combat 47D mags while I have trouble getting them to drop free from my Kimber TLE II RL, when empty.

What fits our feet, may not fit your friends.
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:16   #17
Ghost_Team
Quiet Professional

I agree with fasteddie. It all comes down to what works for you. I like HK pistols for their accuracy and reliability, however I dislike the magazine release, and that has pretty much turned me off to the gun itself. I have both a Kimber and a Springfield Armory .45, and I don't like the factory mags that came with either of them. I do like the Chip McCormick mags I had for my .45 when I was on an ODA, and I have heard good things about D & L Sports .45 mags though I have never used them.
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken"
Ghost_Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:40   #18
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Best .45 semi-auto for you? +Mag's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Team View Post
I agree with fasteddie. It all comes down to what works for you. I like HK pistols for their accuracy and reliability, however I dislike the magazine release, and that has pretty much turned me off to the gun itself. I have both a Kimber and a Springfield Armory .45, and I don't like the factory mags that came with either of them. I do like the Chip McCormick mags I had for my .45 when I was on an ODA, and I have heard good things about D & L Sports .45 mags though I have never used them.
I have 2 H&K semi-auto's .45 Compact & a .40 compact and you are correct about the mag release. German Engineering is a step above everyone and they must have a good reason for that type of release, However I prefer the mag release on the 1911 type semi -autos, The extended mag release is much quicker to drop a mag from the well, but you must practice with the pistol so you don't inadvertently hit the release button & drop the mag at a critical time.The best way to decide on any weapon system is to take a trip to the range & try several different makes & models, firing a box of premium ammo should narrow the field. Best Mag's for a 1911 .45 IMHO Wilson Combat, Les Baer, and Chip McCormick...All 8 round single stack...TK
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:59   #19
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

I was a 1911 fan for decades-it was my first issue pistol-and I've owned several. Then Team Sergeant posted a line about 1911's and gunsmiths, and I mentally reviewed how many problems I'd had, mainly because of the sear/disconnector spring, the bushing, lugs and recesses-all kinds of issues.

With an HK .45, I don't have those problems, and it's more accurate. Just takes POT to get used to the mag release location, which is a button you don't have to push as often with an HK.

With an all-consuming desire to have my handgun go off when I press the trigger every time, I've found that any nagging doubt is gone with the HK.
Old 03-03-2012, 14:44   #20
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

As far as reloading goes, I carry a full size .45 HK with 13 rounds. Unless there more than 13 individuals requiring an attitude adjustment I don't plan on reloading. SA is having the right tool for the right situation.

Straight stack, (hahahaha) a thing of the "past". Oh and because of "HK" I've not seen a gunsmith in decades....

The 1911, a one hundred and one year old design, like driving a Model T..... enjoy!
Old 03-04-2012, 13:43   #21
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

After comparing my mags to several other 47D's at the local gunshop, turns out my mag's measurements are up to spec. My 1911 apparently just doesn't like them. Thank you, gents, for your advice. It helped.

Quote:
SA is having the right tool for the right situation.
The wisdom of that statement is undeniable. My reluctance to change carry weapons so far has been due to familiarity with the 1911, and also to the inherent difficulty in using hard cast bullets at the range with polygonal-rifled barrels.

Perhaps I should reconsider, and just say to hell with hardcast bullets.
Old 03-04-2012, 16:25   #22
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
After comparing my mags to several other 47D's at the local gunshop, turns out my mag's measurements are up to spec. My 1911 apparently just doesn't like them. Thank you, gents, for your advice. It helped.

The wisdom of that statement is undeniable. My reluctance to change carry weapons so far has been due to familiarity with the 1911, and also to the inherent difficulty in using hard cast bullets at the range with polygonal-rifled barrels.

Perhaps I should reconsider, and just say to hell with hardcast bullets.
Yeah, "familiarity", didn't that kill the cat?
I was a die hard 1911 fan until I got my last 1911 "gunsmith" bill, while viewing that bill I had a moment of clarity.....
Old 07-17-2020, 05:59   #23
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesSip View Post
visit
https://www.outdoorlimited.com
may this site helps you
No advertisements on this site and no Intro, starting off badly.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:44   #24
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
No advertisements on this site and no Intro, starting off badly.
He has one more chance to follow the rules; otherwise, he's history. I've already deleted his other post and banned that user ID.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:05   #25
Hummer
Asset

Bad 1911A1 mags. Beware of MILSPEC mags that have IM291 on the base plate. Two lots of about 300,000 were procured. The first lot was so bad they were excessed out and wound up on civilian market.

The second run of IM291 stamped mags were much better.

You can tell the difference by looking at the edge of the base plate and the two contact welds on each side. If they appear to be heavy you will probably be OK, if they appear light they are the first lot.

Also on the first lot the back of the mag at the top that looks like this !___! and the area just below it will show signs of a belt sander having been applied and the metal is ground down thin.

This area was ground because metal shaving from stamping was in the lower right corner from the stamping and the guy doing the grinding over ground them. The second lot was better.

You may see mags with two different colors, The upper are from the mag catch slot upwards are a much lighter color because of the heat treat and they are generally very good but hard to find.

Also there was a ammo contract let in late 70s and the headstamp has IMI on it. This ammo was over-pressured and we had several barrels blow pieces out of the upper back of the chamber area. Velocity was supposed to be 830 FPS and that ammo was giving about 930 FPS.

Beware of the after market spring kits for M1911A1s. There is a spring that keeps the striker to the rear and a properly made spring has a internal taper to match the taper on the striker. Springs in some of the kits did not have the internal taper and if the weapon is dry fired the striker protruded out the front of the striker port and jammed in forward position making the weapon worthless.

Finally you can carry a chambered round with the hammer cocked and the SAFETY ON just fine. I would not recommend it be carried with hammer down on partial cock as I have heard reports of thumbs slipping during cocking follow by AD.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote