Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 03-17-2010, 11:19   #1
emptythermos
Asset

Carbon Fiber Oxygen Tanks

Im currentley trying to get Carbon Fiber O2 tanks for my team. While I was in JSOM a couple of our instructors talked about them. i researched it online and found out that the Carbon Composite o2 tanks are about 30% lighter than aluminum tanks and they hold more than twice the volume.
I want to make the best choice cause were a bit short on funds. If anyone has them on their team i would appreciate it if you would post a link or something to help me procure some quality bottles.
I need about three to five D tanks. HOOAH!
emptythermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:38   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
What are they used for??

MFF or Scuba??

In the case of scuba, I personally think steel is better for one large reason,, weight. If you use a tank that is 30% lighter,, you will need to add lead ballast to offset the buoyancy.

If it's MFF, just the opposite, almost, you get to jump more MRE's..

last I looked in 2008, there were other issues:

1)Spun-glass tanks have shorter life spans
2)none of the scuba hydro shops in my area would touch them for hydro or annual visual inspections
3)They are very expensive.
4)dive shops won't fill them, non-standard valve
5)they came with valves for air-soft hoses or fire department 1st stages reg, not scuba.

Has the industry changed direction??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 13:15   #3
emptythermos
Asset

Im acctually a medic on a mountain team. I need oxygen tanks for medicine not for MFF or scuba.
Thats why im so adamant about the weight. No ones gonna want to hump an o2 tank up a mountain anyway, but especially so when it weighs 20+ pounds.
But you did bring up a good point about the regulators. I was under the impression that all medical o2 tanks were set up for the same general type of regulator.
Id really appreciate it if the Medics out there would let me know if anyone has these types of o2 tanks.
Old 03-17-2010, 13:31   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptythermos View Post
Im acctually a medic on a mountain team. I need oxygen tanks for medicine not for MFF or scuba.
Thats why im so adamant about the weight. No ones gonna want to hump an o2 tank up a mountain anyway, but especially so when it weighs 20+ pounds.
But you did bring up a good point about the regulators. I was under the impression that all medical o2 tanks were set up for the same general type of regulator.
Id really appreciate it if the Medics out there would let me know if anyone has these types of o2 tanks.
Medical O2 tanks use a simple valve the opens with a wrench and allows simple flow adjustments. Depending on the set-up it can be regulated by a machine or just a simple pressure gauge to adjust flow.

There is at least four or five different valves out there for Scuba, close-circuit, and hard-hat diving,, a couple for the fire department, at least two I know of for medical, hi-altitude O2 assist for pilots/MFF probably a couple and air-soft,, that's just in the USA...

If you have the time, you may want to look up the support team S4 for some of the assents to the Himalayas, K2 & Everest. They have to stage O2 and X-tream O2 cold weather gear up the mountain. They probably have a keen sense of load bearing and weight distribution, when it comes to O2.

Good Luck,,

Old 03-17-2010, 14:30   #5
emptythermos
Asset

hey thanks man. ive been looking at some of those areas and i need o2 tanks for medicinal use not as supplimental for high altitude. What i mean by that is that i dont need an msa setup like firemen have or a scuba setup. I just need a D size o2 tank for an airway bag. But i wanna get light weight ones so that we can have the ability to use o2 in the mountains in case someone gets sick or injured and not have to hump like 40 extra pounds.
I know that some dudes have them on teams I just need some recomendations, specifcaly where to order them. Which ones are better and possibly some price ranges.
Old 03-17-2010, 14:43   #6
2018commo
Quiet Professional

I saw the tanks at American Safety Flight Systems in Glendale CA 93-94 time frame. I believe the tank they displayed was for the Space Shuttle bail-out boon-doggle. There is a problem with these tanks, they are aluminum lined and become serious bombs if punctured.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 14:55   #7
emptythermos
Asset

Yeah thats true with any o2 tank and the metal ones will blow up just as easy as the carbon or aluminum ones.
Old 03-17-2010, 15:19   #8
2018commo
Quiet Professional

The strenght of the carbon fiber combined with the aluminum becoming molten in an o2 environment conserned the folks making the tanks.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 17:03   #9
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

http://www.remotemedical.com/Medical...s/Oxygen-Tanks

there you go.
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 17:59   #10
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

The tanks TFkilo linked to are good to go. We used the DD tanks in our airway bags on the buses and loved them.

About the fear of them exploding or becoming a projectile, I used carbon fiber tanks in my SCBA for about 8 years as a firefighter and never had so much as a small issue with them. In fact, I have replaced helmets and turnout gear due to damage received in fires, but never a CF tank.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 18:13   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

My $00.0002

You might want to have a little come to Jesus with the company who make the tanks you may purchase.

A 3000 psi bottle at sea level will not have the same pressure characteristics as at altitude when cold.

You need purpose built tanks with guarantees that the manufacture will warrant the tank from catastrophic failures at the maximum target altitude and lowest/highest temperature.

If I sound a bit to concerned, it's because for the last 13 years I have worked at a dive shop. We were very fortunate and had no catastrophic tank failures.

There have been failures in the Keys and we were intimately aware of the effects and consequences. People die from being lackadaisical and inattentive.

The USA Tags & Bags about 150 SCUBA Divers per year. Florida is at the top of the list most years.

Fortunately, I think it's been about 6 years sense the last tank accident.

This guy only lost his arm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lw_fhNAIQc

Be safe, very safe..

Old 03-17-2010, 23:08   #12
incarcerated
Area Commander

Ambu makes a nice little regulator, fairly small, should do the trick. We use the 0 to 15 LPM version.
http://www.ambu.com/COM/Emergency_Ca...ductID=PROD873
I’m home, so I don’t have specs, pricing, or a specific model number handy. Let me know if you need that kind of thing.

We use Mada aluminum bottles. Careful w/ the M3 size, narrow base, sausage shaped tanks: they’re bad news.

We use a couple items from Remote Medical. I can’t say that I’m thrilled w/ their sales rep or service. Their carbon fiber tank is, *gasp!* a little rich for my employer‘s blood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ambu reg.JPG (15.2 KB, 12 views)

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz

Last edited by incarcerated; 03-17-2010 at 23:47. Reason: to add picture
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 22:05   #13
incarcerated
Area Commander

We’re paying $97 each for Ambu’s stock # 23741000, Economy Oxygen Regulator 15 LPM.

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 13:52   #14
AndyBear
Quiet Professional

Weight? Bah. If something's too heavy I just make the AF CCT carry it. He already has a 60 pound radio and all those extra snacks that were too heavy for me, what's another 40 or 50 lbs going to matter to him?

Real talk though. I've never personally packed an oxygen tank in the mountains, and I don't see the need truthfully with medevac times and facilities so close. But maybe I'm misunderstanding here. If this is for extreme altitude climbing and not combat like I'm thinking, then I could understand it, and in that case, awesome.
"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." -S
AndyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 19:08   #15
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
My $00.0002

You might want to have a little come to Jesus with the company who make the tanks you may purchase.

A 3000 psi bottle at sea level will not have the same pressure characteristics as at altitude when cold.

You need purpose built tanks with guarantees that the manufacture will warrant the tank from catastrophic failures at the maximum target altitude and lowest/highest temperature.

If I sound a bit to concerned, it's because for the last 13 years I have worked at a dive shop. We were very fortunate and had no catastrophic tank failures.

There have been failures in the Keys and we were intimately aware of the effects and consequences. People die from being lackadaisical and inattentive.

The USA Tags & Bags about 150 SCUBA Divers per year. Florida is at the top of the list most years.

Fortunately, I think it's been about 6 years sense the last tank accident.

This guy only lost his arm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lw_fhNAIQc

Be safe, very safe..
What is the necropost record? Anyway, I watched the video. It didn't say in the video but it looks like a petroleum product was used with the wrench and a chain vise causing a spark. This would be a no no in all environments where an oxidizer is present.
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote