Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Old 02-19-2017, 14:19   #1
Flagg
Area Commander

Special Forces Berlin: Clandestine Cold War Operations of the US Army's Elite, 1956–1

A new(and long awaited) book:

"Special Forces Berlin: Clandestine Cold War Operations of the US Army's Elite, 1956–1990" by James Stejskal

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06WLLJPGB/

I haven't read it yet as I only just received the alert and downloaded it immediately.

Considering how little the world knows about DET-A and the resurgence of Cold War 2.0 in Eastern Europe that renews their relevancy, I'm just grateful to get a better open source understanding of their history.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:48   #2
Flagg
Area Commander

Review of the book by SF COL David Maxwell(retired):

http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art...n-the-cold-war
Old 02-24-2017, 07:41   #3
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
Considering how little the world knows about DET-A and the resurgence of Cold War 2.0 in Eastern Europe that renews their relevancy, I'm just grateful to get a better open source understanding of their history.
Thank you VERY much for the link; a must-add for the bookshelf. And about bloody time. These gents were right across from me at Andrews.

Damned hippies.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:02   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:

"Special Forces Berlin: Clandestine Cold War Operations of the US Army's Elite, 1956–1990" by James Stejskal

I haven't read it yet as I only just received the alert and downloaded it immediately.

The stories we could tell.... and we would , but then we'd have to kill you.
Old 02-24-2017, 13:36   #5
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Thank you VERY much for the link; a must-add for the bookshelf. And about bloody time. These gents were right across from me at Andrews.

Damned hippies.
No worries!

And I completely agree.
Old 02-24-2017, 16:25   #6
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
The stories we could tell.... and we would , but then we'd have to kill you.
Haha. Totally understandable given the content, context, and current circumstances.

I'm just genuinely grateful it was able to be published at all.

The comments at the bottom of David Maxwell's review by SMJ users Bill C, Outlaw09(DET A Vet I've shared a few emails with), and David Maxwell himself are also enlightening.

I'm left with the impression when looking at everything in aggregate that not only is a DET A like capability incredibly relevant, but so is a "counter DET A" capability. Hopefully "DET A DNA" is still being shared and replicated where needed.

Staying away completely from the OPSEC stuff, what I'm most intrigued about is what the small team dynamics and culture was like.

Especially with a training tempo that must have been relentless due to the need to master so many disparate(and new/evolving) skill sets that all had their own particular skill fade/currency issues. The adaptability is quite impressive.

From reading anecdotals here and elsewhere I'm left with the distinct impression that SF service in Germany during the Cold War was an experience that reads to an outsider as being overwhelmingly positive compared to many other Cold War, peacetime, and wartime theatres.

To avoid being killed I'll preface by saying this is not a probe, but that I strongly suspect there is far more to the DET A story than what is covered in this book.

I can only hope that I will live long enough(unlikely) and/or the geopolitical competition will shift enough(unlikely) to learn if any of my hunches are true.

But a good author always leaves a reader a bit wanting.
Old 02-24-2017, 16:41   #7
Badger52
Area Commander

Really looking forward to the book. I remember they stood out like a strobe ON the kaserne but, once off, with current local threads & longish hair, that allowed them to disappear like a chameleon. Very seldom seen at the usual nearby watering holes. Hell, they probably had a lock on the hot women too...

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 02-24-2017, 23:09   #8
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:

Pat was there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWv7NndBf68

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:01   #9
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
I met Pat Mac about a year and a half ago. Great guy.

That was one of the many reasons why I wanted to catch up with him.

He has a really diverse background and interests. He was able to offer some solid advice for a programme I've been working on.
Old 02-25-2017, 20:32   #10
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I believe McNamara was in PSSE-B, a similar but different unit than Det-A.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 21:16   #11
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Thanks for that link. Noted the MLM plated vehicle; long past my time, they started using a vehicles appropriate to the task (vs. Interceptor-package American iron which didn't do forests very well). But remained a wonderful way to get a look at the other guy's "real estate."

C'monnnn Amazon.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:59   #12
JJungle
Asset

Special Forces Berlin

Greetings All,

I am the author of Special Forces Berlin.... (the book referenced above)

First, I hope you enjoy the history and story.

Second, as far as calling it open source - it is now but only after a 14-month review by DoD.

It is based on the oral and written histories of around 60 troopers who served there between 1956 and 1990, the documents found at NARA, CMH, USAREUR, and USASOC, as well my service there (twice).

And to clarify one misconception: Detachment "A" (39th SFD) preceded PSSE-B (410th) - they actually overlapped about ten months - but they are both Special Forces Berlin. Det "A" passed its missions on to PSSE-B and the (classified) lineage continued. It's outlined in the book pretty comprehensively.

Once again, enjoy. Let me know if you have any questions!

VR
JJungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:08   #13
Pete
Quiet Professional

I'll have to ask my neighbor Ivan if he's heard about the book.

He was born in one of those little countries that were absorbed by the USSR. Speaks English as a 4th language and spent a number of years in Berlin with SF.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 14:52   #14
JJungle
Asset

Ivan

Ivan W? 1960-1963 circa?
JJungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:44   #15
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I'll have to ask my neighbor Ivan if he's heard about the book.

He was born in one of those little countries that were absorbed by the USSR. Speaks English as a 4th language and spent a number of years in Berlin with SF.
Not "Him"...??? (Is his first name "CSM" ?)