Old 08-25-2006, 12:00   #61
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

SFC Henry was gray haired and grzzley when I met him. Here is what I remember about him.

He lied about his age and volunteered for WW II. He was in combat at age 17. He was "Glider Pilot" qualified. A little known fact is that a lot of the early combat jumps were from gliders being as they were cheaper to build than motorized air craft. He was an assistant machine gunner in the Rangers during the Korean War.

He had two tours with SF in RVN and there were names and places mentioned that I no longer remember that others would surely know.

He had a metal pin in one ankle from an old injury but I saw him one day pick up a guy's heavy rucksack and sling it up over his shoulder so it landed on top of his rucksack and choggy off holding it up there balanced with one hand. He carried those two rucksacks for nearly three miles up there in the White Mountains that day. Made my eyes bug out , being as I was straining with just mine.

He had spent a lot of time with 10 SFG in Bad Tolz and was about as German as a person could be without actually being German.

I really don't remember him being "tall" being as I am tall. What I remember is him being "bigger than life" and everything an SF trooper would want to be.
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:48   #62
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

By tall I meant short. He always wound up as the left guide in parades and he kneed an idiot in Boston that ran out to spit at him. While it was caught on TV it never aired because Boston was ashamed of how 10th Group was treated that parade. Grop Commander told them that 10th Group would never participate in another parade in Boston.

Don't think we did either, unless it occured after I left there.

Anyone remember that parade?

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:41   #63
Hipshot
Quiet Professional

Time with 10th Group

Was 11B4S on ODA-333, Co C, 3rd Bn 10th SFG(A) from Dec 72 (went direct from RVN to the land of ice and ice) thru Apr 75. Capt Chamberlain was our team leader and Charlie Campbell was team sgt. I remember having been newly married and taking this sweet young thing up to Devens. We bought a house in Ayre - wood frame 2 story. Had a painting party - wanted to get the upstairs bedrooms painted a light blue. I bought painting utensils and the beer, team members were told to being paint. When the team arrived, I was told to stay down stairs and entertain wives/girl friends that came along. I knew they were finished when Charlie Campbell came down, walked into the kitchen and grabbed a case of beer from the refrig and headed into the living room. My wife went upstairs and the next thing I hear is a blood-curdling scream from the top landing. When I got upstairs, the bedroom (supposed to be light blue) now looked like the side of a camoflaged C-130. Somehow, my wife didn't see the humor in it!
11F4S - S/Sgt, B/2/12th SFG(A)
a.k.a. Sheep Dog Daddy

God whispers in your soul and speaks to your mind.
Sometimes when you don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick at you.
It's your choice: Listen to the whisper, or wait for the brick.

Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 14:21   #64
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Devens from 72-79...both Bns

Whats up LK and Maj Jack...?

George
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 14:24   #65
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Uh, oh.

I smell an online reunion coming together.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 15:01   #66
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Guess I should have said COL M.
Old 12-28-2006, 15:15   #67
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite
Guess I should have said COL M.
Since when did I ever take myself that seriously that you would think you would have to do that?
Old 12-28-2006, 16:25   #68
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Never did....just wanted to pay the proper respect...

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Old 12-28-2006, 19:37   #69
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Whats up LK and Maj Jack...?
me...but only because my wife makes me set the alarm...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 20:00   #70
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Never did....just wanted to pay the proper respect...
Let's talk about a young SSG who let a pecker head Maj Mirus talk him into spotting the first pass of a UHIH on Malmsheim, DZ, FRG 13 May 80 that put my sorry butt 2 km off the DZ. Mirus took credit for the jump but young SSG Snaquebite signed the manifest as the jumpmaster. Where was the respect on that drop A lot of good folks on that jump Carson, Goforth, Shedlock, Billingsley, Graves, Snider, Thurston and of course the guy you should have used for the wind dummy Jimmy Trainor.
Old 12-28-2006, 20:05   #71
x SF med
Quiet Professional

COL M.-
Shedlock, Trainor and Graves were back at Devens when I was there.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 20:18   #72
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
A lot of good folks on that jump Carson, Goforth, Shedlock, Billingsley, Graves, Snider, Thurston and of course the guy you should have used for the wind dummy Jimmy Trainor.
quite a cast of characters...Trainor and i went through SFQC together...Goforth became my TS in '83...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 12-28-2006, 20:23   #73
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
quite a cast of characters...Trainor and i went through SFQC together...Goforth became my TS in '83...
Tommy Goforth was good people. You probably know some of the others on this manifest I am looking at. Desimone, Bennett, Hering, Jacaruso, Green, Edwards.
Old 12-28-2006, 20:28   #74
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
Tommy Goforth was good people. You probably know some of the others on this manifest I am looking at. Desimone, Bennett, Hering, Jacaruso, Green, Edwards.
familiar names...sounds like a 3rd Battalion manifest...
Old 12-28-2006, 20:33   #75
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Glad I was on my way to 3/7 when all that happened, if I remember correctly. Or was that the next year. Dam I can't keep those dates straight anymore.

Welcome Snaquebite. You going to be around a bit or are you heading out again?

Maybe we can tilt one at Charlie Mikes.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote