Old 06-16-2013, 23:18   #1
frostfire
Area Commander

NRA tuition-free courses

http://le.nra.org/training/tuition-free-schools.aspx

AD military is eligible

I'm not familiar with the current 18B curriculum, but I'd imagine getting armorer certification from the manufacturer ie. Remington, FN, Colt, Barrett, etc. for issue weapons would augment skill/knowledge, not to mention the credentials/resume booster if one transitions to civilian and works in the industry.

I'm getting some myself in preparation for a next job. Perhaps I'll see some of ya'll there

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53   #2
FlagDayNCO
Guerrilla

FREE Courses... THANKS!

I forgot about these and have not registered in quite some time. Since there are a L-A-R-G-E number of applicants that register, but only a few that are selected to attend, I suggest signing up for as many as you believe you can attend.

Reserve a local hotel (if needed) now, as you can cancel just before and not get charged for the room. Hotels fill up FAST, so book a room now.

Thanks again,

Flag Day NCO
FlagDayNCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 18:32   #3
35NCO
Guerrilla

I just wanted to give a big thanks for this post! I just completed the Barrett M82A1/M107 LE/MIL armorers course at NRA HQ . Excellent course with a great instructor (Don, Barrett's head armorer and trainer). Only cost to me was the hotel and drive. It was indeed luck of the draw, but an overall great experience with an awesome variety of students. I learned more about the Barrett than I ever thought possible or expected. I am now officially factory certified by Barrett for 3 years. As I am sure there are already a few on this board, I feel confident that I can now answer/discuss any Barrett related questions if it comes up. Thanks again!
35NCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 23:17   #4
frostfire
Area Commander

update

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NCO View Post
I just wanted to give a big thanks for this post! I just completed the Barrett M82A1/M107 LE/MIL armorers course at NRA HQ . Excellent course with a great instructor (Don, Barrett's head armorer and trainer). Only cost to me was the hotel and drive. It was indeed luck of the draw, but an overall great experience with an awesome variety of students. I learned more about the Barrett than I ever thought possible or expected. I am now officially factory certified by Barrett for 3 years. As I am sure there are already a few on this board, I feel confident that I can now answer/discuss any Barrett related questions if it comes up. Thanks again!
wait a sec....we must have been in the same class!!!

Yea, the NRA course is no-bs solid. I got Glock, SIG P series, ICP Active Threat First Responder, and of course, the Barrett M107. Don is good guy for sure. That Barrett was surprisingly simple!
Just sign up and once you're picked, link up with Tim, go over your credential and he can set you up well. I'm signing up for some of the precision rifle, shotgun, pistol LE instructor courses too.
The classes have been great networking place too as I've met folks from various SWAT agencies, police special unit in VA, NCIS, various proving grounds armorer, DIA, secret service, and other alphabet soup ones

Quick tip for the range to win bets/beers, you can increase accuracy of the M107 (say, 3MOA to 2MOA) by simply hand loading each cartridge in.

and oh, you're welcome 35NCO

INDNJC
Old 02-10-2014, 20:00   #5
frostfire
Area Commander

Heads up: Beretta armorer

http://le.nra.org/training/tution-fr....aspx?sid=1611

For those who:
- Believe in not only knowing how to use the tool, but to know the tool itself "intimately."
- In SOF team that are still stuck with the reliable, accurate, but not so user-friendly* secondary
- Work/assigned as armorer

*I define user-friendly as how easy (effort and time required) to shoot the CSAT 5-spine-1-face under 3 seconds as compared to the Tupperware variant

Just don't steal my slot. See ya'll there

INDNJC
Old 02-11-2014, 06:30   #6
35NCO
Guerrilla

Thanks for the Heads up. I just applied. Roll the dice see if I get one.
35NCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:23   #7
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Thank you for that! I also threw my chips into the pot. I figured it couldn't hurt to add a few different tools to the experience toolbox.

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 22:39   #8
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
http://le.nra.org/training/tution-fr....aspx?sid=1611

For those who:
- Believe in not only knowing how to use the tool, but to know the tool itself "intimately."
- In SOF team that are still stuck with the reliable, accurate, but not so user-friendly* secondary
- Work/assigned as armorer

*I define user-friendly as how easy (effort and time required) to shoot the CSAT 5-spine-1-face under 3 seconds as compared to the Tupperware variant

Just don't steal my slot. See ya'll there
I put in for this as well. I was already selected for the PerSysMed Tactical 1st Aid for the Law Enforcement Officer Course (3/5) and NRA Terrorist Attack Tactics & Techniques Seminar (4/7), so hopefully that won't put me out of the running. These will be my first NRA tuition-free courses.

Anyone attending the above courses, let me know.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 22:59   #9
adal
Quiet Professional

Masochist, pm me about persys courses.
Old 02-15-2014, 15:46   #10
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by adal View Post
Masochist, pm me about persys courses.
PM inbound.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 13:00   #11
Toaster
Guerrilla

Got selected, but am unable to attend the PerSys Medical, on Thur 6 Mar 2014. Let them know, so someone else can get the slot....

Should be making the Terrorist Attack Tactics Seminar...

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote