Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 02-16-2013, 00:14   #31
HOLLiS
Area Commander

I was going to post something earlier. I think Eagle and Tim said it best.

Prayers are out and that everything goes well.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20   #32
SPEC4
Guerrilla

symptoms

My wife had "similar" symptoms a test called "liver panel" showed a bad gall bladder.

Several days after removal, symptoms returned as "sediments" had backed up into the liver.

A scar from pubes to boobs later and she is doing really well. Hope you catch this.

Learn from the mistakes of others...you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Love is like a fart, if you have to force it ......it's CRAP.

If you stay ready you don't have to get ready - an old Fireman
SPEC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:55   #33
orion5
Guerrilla Chief

Joe, sorry to hear about your health issues and hope this mystery is sorted out soon.

But on a positive note, glad to hear you married that good woman!
orion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 13:23   #34
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion5 View Post
Joe, sorry to hear about your health issues and hope this mystery is sorted out soon.

But on a positive note, glad to hear you married that good woman!
Orion5 don't be starten' rumors now.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 14:19   #35
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEC4 View Post
My wife had "similar" symptoms a test called "liver panel" showed a bad gall bladder.

Several days after removal, symptoms returned as "sediments" had backed up into the liver.

A scar from pubes to boobs later and she is doing really well. Hope you catch this.
I have to belive the docs already would have ordered a liver panel and GGT to evaluate for cholecystitis/cholelithiasis. It's not uncommon to have some lingering issues after the gall bladder is out until all residual crud works its way out into the intestines.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 14:06   #36
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

I think I have a dx...... Smokin Joe may be giving up that bottle sooner rather than later, if it pans out. Stay tuned!
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 14:21   #37
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

Dibs on his Rum then.
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 18:07   #38
Gypsy
Area Commander

Best wishes to you Joe, hope they figure it all out and prayers that it is nothing super serious.
Old 02-18-2013, 18:17   #39
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Thanks Gypsy!

Also scope down the throat has been canceled. Ultra sound revealed fluid around the heart, I will be exploring that with the cardiologist. Guess I need another echo and/or CT-A.

Also another doc found something in the YouTube videos.

And NO Adal you can't stab my heart (yet). If we have to do that I will give you the opportunity though.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Old 02-18-2013, 22:11   #40
adal
Quiet Professional

SWEET!!!!!! I'll get out the sharpening stone and prep the needle!! Maybe a chicken bone or two also.
Old 02-18-2013, 22:47   #41
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
Thanks Gypsy!

Also scope down the throat has been canceled. Ultra sound revealed fluid around the heart, I will be exploring that with the cardiologist. Guess I need another echo and/or CT-A.

Also another doc found something in the YouTube videos.

And NO Adal you can't stab my heart (yet). If we have to do that I will give you the opportunity though.
aw shoot, just when I'm about to play, you're getting a clearer picture of what's going on.

Here's a dx...guaranteed to be 100% accurate too! We discharged many folks with similar s/s like yours home with it. Got a preprinted discharge instructionn to go along as well

Are you ready?

Here we go...

chest pain of unclear etiology

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 23:03   #42
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
aw shoot, just when I'm about to play, you're getting a clearer picture of what's going on.

Here's a dx...guaranteed to be 100% accurate too! We discharged many folks with similar s/s like yours home with it. Got a preprinted discharge instructionn to go along as well

Are you ready?

Here we go...

chest pain of unclear etiology
That along with the words "idiopathic" guarantees my smart mouth getting the better of me and telling the doctor exactly what I think of their failure to diagnose my issue. I would probably be asked to never return upon completion of my "colorful" articulation of the doctors education and years of training.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10   #43
Remington Raidr
Guerrilla

I'm not a doctor and have no med training

but my brother died at 22 of "idiopathic cardiomyopathy". The phrase still turns my blood to ice. You are in my prayers.
Remington Raidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49   #44
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
That along with the words "idiopathic" guarantees my smart mouth getting the better of me and telling the doctor exactly what I think of their failure to diagnose my issue. I would probably be asked to never return upon completion of my "colorful" articulation of the doctors education and years of training.
That would be absolutely understandable. Frustrating must not have described half of it.
In the ER there's a saying though: Sometimes, no news is good news. Just like folks want to be brought back instantly after they're signed in, but truthfully they really don't because that means they're hanging to life by a thread...

Speaking of ruling things out, got a young GI who showed up with diffuse ab, and pelvic pain etc. Long story short, his urine was suspicious and he ended up getting "rodded" in front of his male partner and a learning female nurse . 4 hours, 48oz GI contrast, and GI CT later, he was admitted for acute appendicitis. See, good training and it was fun His NCO's won't let up on the poor GI ER adventure and prob laughed for 10 min straight at his expense.

Hope you get well soon, and onto speedy recovery. Prayers out.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 18:13   #45
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Conclusion?

To review:

1) Chest pain radiating from mid line over the heart area. Pain increased with shift in position. Pain was sharp and would shoot up the neck when ever I bent over or stood up. Pain felt like it was related or traveled via vascular i.e. my carotid artery up to the bottom of my chin and would stop there.

2) Low grade fever, sweats, chills, etc.

Update:

I saw the cardiologist today. His diagnosis is it is clearly pericarditis (and always has been). His opinion is that I have been bouncing around to different docs who lacked the skills to properly diagnose it. According to what I was told pericarditis is mainly a clinical diagnosis with the majority of the evidence in the proper reading of an EKG. And those who lack experience in what an EKG looks like with someone who has percarditis it can be over looked fairly easily. Additionally, he mentioned that the CT-A and echocardiogram may not have ever detected it even if there was an active pericardial effusion at the time of the test (depending on the severity of the effusion at the time of the test). Which makes sense b/c at the time of my CT-A and echo I felt great. The later detection of the effusion during an abdominal ultrasound demonstrates a significant effusion at the time of the test. <-- Which makes sense because I felt like total crap during that test.

Moving forward:

Due to the fact that I was never properly diagnosed and treated I run the risk of it reoccurring and it developing into chronic pericarditis (or something to that effect) where I would essential cycle through it throughout the rest of my life (funk dat). To combat that in the event it returns I have been given: Indomethacin and to hammer it at the onset, it should disappear after about 5 days. This should have been the treatment at the onset, which would have minimized the potential for reoccurrence.

My After Thoughts

1) In my case this was most likely developed from the coaxial virus as my business partners son had "Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease" (same virus) shortly before I got sick. <--- I should have hammered this point to the docs, where as I only mentioned it in passing.

2) I should have trusted my gut and been a bigger advocate for myself, including challenging the doctors opinions that didn't mesh with my symptoms. I was attempting to be "helpful and compliant" this was a disservice to myself and family.

3) I'm not sure if this thread can serve as a learning experience for anyone here. But, I certainly hope so.

4) Adal, you were right, when I was really bad off I probably could have used a needle to the heart to relieve the fluid.... although I'm still glad I passed on that.

If anyone has any questions, fire away.

Thanks everyone who was involved and lent an ear to my little drama. Your help, helped me and I sincerely appreciate that! If it resurfaces I will update all.