Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 04-11-2023, 14:42   #1
South
Asset

Question Private Contracting

Hey all, I rarely post but I skulk around gleaning wisdom where I can. I didn't want to post this in the SF questions since this isn't necessarily SF related. Let me know if I put it in the wrong spot.

I'm struggling to find security contracting jobs. My NG unit is open to me contracting for a few months, making up all my drills at once, and repeat. I have been applying to jobs on and off for years in between different Army schools and activations and such. I'm wondering if there's a more specific place I should be sniffing around particular to my circumstances that you guys could point me to? I have tried a lot on silentprofessionals.org and all my applications have been "pending" for years. I try to pick the jobs that seem the most entry-level but maybe it's only for people with an SF background.

Basic rundown of my resume:
8 years Army NG (currently O-2)
Prior MOS's:
12Y Geospatial Engineer
31A Military Police
15A Aviation Officer (UH-60M driver)
Never deployed

I clearly lack the real life experience for any of these jobs. (For example I just graduated flight school so I don't have the hours to fly helicopters for anyone) but I feel like my resume shows I can, and am willing to, learn anything and excel at it. Where would someone like that start? I'm a single 27 yr old able to go anywhere and do anything. Not sure where someone like that fits in. Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Habakkuk 3:17-19
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 03:22   #2
275RLTW
Asset

1) why contracting? It’s not what you think it is.
2) “I clearly lack the real life experience for any of these jobs.” -nailed it.
3) man cannot serve 2 masters- pick army career or contracting. No one does well trying to do both at the same time.
275RLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 10:04   #3
PRB
Quiet Professional

Contracting positions have a normally well written job description and what they are looking for...so look for a fit.

They are generally not looking for junior officers or NCO's....but you have more service due to your background.

Do not be afraid to send in a well written resume regardless of the position requirements.

I did so when they wanted an 05/06 and got the position as a prior CSM. Stayed OCONUS for 2 years.

It depends upon your background and how you present yourself in an interview etc.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 23:10   #4
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

A lot of the contracting jobs have dried up so not as many slots to choose from. Add in the collapse of all those contracting jobs in Afghanistan and that put a lot of guys on the market (with experience) that had no positions to go to.

On the WPS contracts with Garda winning a lot of the recent bids at a cut rate, lots of other guys (with experience) on the hunt for better paying jobs.

Not having any deployments is what is hurting you big time (along with minor experience).

As PRB said, put in well written resumes on jobs you think aren't possible. Something might pop.

I'm still contracting but no longer for .gov, and where I'm at, if there is an opening, someone has to know you for your name to get put in.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 19:28   #5
South
Asset

I will definitely consider what you have said carefully. Thank you guys for your input.
Habakkuk 3:17-19
South is offline   Reply With Quote