Old 10-11-2017, 07:01   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional
 
JJ_BPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NOVA
Posts: 11,121
Apple Lightning Cables..

PSA

A couple yrs ago I noticed that the new apple LIGHTNING cable, that I used, had died,, Seems the tip that goes into the phone has exposed contacts. These are fairly low voltage and amperage.

In the case of my cable,, when I disconnected it from the phone, I would let it hang down on the side of my PC..

Come to find out, the tip was making contact with the PC steel case and shorting out, rendering the cable useless.. Another 10USD down the drain.

I told the kids to be careful to completely unplug the usb end of the cable, so as to not have problem..

Now this (c attached)

Quote:
Courtney x xxxxx
October 4 at 7:02pm · Glasgow, KY ·

UPDATE: Gabby's mouth is looking better. We have an appt tomorrow with her pediatrician to see about getting a referral to a specialist. She still acts like it doesn't hurt. To everyone messaging me please know that I have read most messages I just haven't had time to reply. I will continue to update this post as things progress. A new picture of her mouth has been added to the comments.

So I wasn't going to post about this until I posted in a mom group and found out many parents don't think twice about the danger of a phone charger around children. On Sept 28th my 19 month old stuck my phone charger in her mouth. We went to the Dr who confirmed that it was an electrical burn there was nothing they could put on it due to her being able to lick it. Any other day my charger wouldn't have been plugged up in her reach but bc of a bunch of stuff going on that day I didn't have time to move it. It took all of a few seconds for her to get burned. She had never tried to put it in her mouth and she had never messed with it. The one day it isn't moved she stuck it in her mouth and got a severe burn. She doesn't feel it thank God hasn't acted like it bothers her at all.

**Parents, Grandparents, babysitters etc please put your chargers up out of reach.

My daughter was lucky the next kid may not be as lucky as her.

I think apple should re-engineer their cable..

Warn your kids and G-kids...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LC.jpg (30.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg lc6.jpg (22.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg lc4.jpg (33.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg lc1.jpg (36.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg lcx.jpg (42.3 KB, 26 views)
__________________
Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh sula mbeadh a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:16   #2
TJ11B
Auxiliary
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: TX
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
PSA

A couple yrs ago I noticed that the new apple LIGHTNING cable, that I used, had died,, Seems the tip that goes into the phone has exposed contacts. These are fairly low voltage and amperage.

In the case of my cable,, when I disconnected it from the phone, I would let it hang down on the side of my PC..

Come to find out, the tip was making contact with the PC steel case and shorting out, rendering the cable useless.. Another 10USD down the drain.

I told the kids to be careful to completely unplug the usb end of the cable, so as to not have problem..

Now this (c attached)




I think apple should re-engineer their cable..

Warn your kids and G-kids...
Thanks for the heads up JJ_BPK.
__________________
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends", John 15:1.
“He should have armed himself if he’s gonna decorate his saloon with my friend”, Clint Eastwood, The Unforgiven.
TJ11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 18:31   #3
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional
 
SF_BHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sneaking back and forth across the Border
Posts: 6,537
JJ. They should not.

Any energized cable for any phone or USB device can do it if you put in a wet mouth. Parents should be more careful just like they baby proof cabinets, outlets etc.... the error is mom and dad left a hot cord where a infant can get ahold of it. And we all know where every thing an infant gets hold of goes

Everyone should be more careful is the bottom line. BT
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:20   #4
bblhead672
Area Commander
 
bblhead672's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
JJ. They should not.

Any energized cable for any phone or USB device can do it if you put in a wet mouth. Parents should be more careful just like they baby proof cabinets, outlets etc.... the error is mom and dad left a hot cord where a infant can get ahold of it. And we all know where every thing an infant gets hold of goes

Everyone should be more careful is the bottom line. BT
Agreed. When my son was crawling he got behind a table that had answering machine on it, pulled the power cord (DC) out of it and stuck it in his mouth. He screamed, his mother screamed and my son never stuck anything else in his mouth like that again. Fortunately it didn't cause any burn or harm except to his parents' hearts.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52.



Copyright 2004-2021 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies