Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 08-18-2008, 21:39   #16
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt5 View Post
Doesn't he "have to" join the debates now that he's entering the big leagues?

I bet his poll numbers drop dramatically after the very first one....
Obama is not opposed to the so-called "debate" format - where his MSM "buddies" will lob softballs his way, and stack the deck in his favor. He opposes McCain's proposed "town hall" debates, where 'actual' people get up and ask questions for which the candidates have not been previously briefed.

This "Saddleback Forum" showed why BHO is against that format. He knows that McCain would kick his rookie butt.
Old 08-18-2008, 23:01   #17
afchic
Area Commander

The only thing I have heard out of the Obama camp about Saddleback is attacking McCain on his "$5M" comment about what makes a person rich. Anyone that actually watched it could tell that it was said tongue in cheek. He even commented that he knew they would hit him with it afterwards.

I guess if that is the only Obama has going for him after this type of forum it is clear to me that McCain is going to clean his clock in the head to head debates.

Who knows, maybe we will get lucky and Hitlery will get the nod at the DNC. Stranger things have happened.
afchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 23:02   #18
Guy
Quiet Professional

LOL...

If McCain does not run with this...
Quote:
Quote:
The candidates were asked which U.S. Supreme Court justice would they have not nominated. Obama responded saying Clarence Thomas, claiming he wasn’t experienced enough.
Someone needs to be fired...

Obama is your typical "black" democratic, liberal-ass politician! If you don't follow their cause/ideology and you're black; WATCH OUT!

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 23:18   #19
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
McCain camp accuses NBC of partisan coverage

NEW YORK - The John McCain campaign fired off an angry letter to NBC News criticizing Andrea Mitchell's comments regarding the "cone of silence" at Saturday night's presidential candidates' forum at Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California.

Campaign manager Rick Davis cited Mitchell's comments on NBC's "Meet the Press" that the Barack Obama campaign had said privately that they believed McCain "may have had some ability to overhear what the questions were to Obama. He seemed so well prepared."

Pastor Rick Warren on Saturday sat down first with Obama and asked him the same questions he would later ask McCain.

Davis denied what he called "a completely unsubstantiated Obama campaign claim that John McCain somehow cheated." While Obama was being interviewed, McCain was driving to the event and then in a green room without TV, Davis said.

In a letter to NBC News president Steve Capus, Davis said that the network's "level of objectivity ... has fallen so low that reporters are now giving voice to unsubstantiated, partisan claims in order to undercut John McCain." He requested a meeting with Capus to discuss news standards and objectivity.

"We are concerned that your news division is following MSNBC's lead in abandoning nonpartisan coverage of the presidential race," Davis wrote.

In a statement Monday, NBC News said that it welcomed an opportunity to speak with officials from both campaigns and said it is in daily contact with the McCain camp.

"With all due respect to the campaign leadership, they are viewing our coverage through a political prism," NBC News said. "We stand by our reporting, our journalism and our journalists."

It's not the first time that NBC has been the subject of accusations during the presidential campaign. MSNBC and NBC News were cited several times during the primary campaign over perceived mistreatment of Democratic hopeful Hillary Clinton.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 23:41   #20
Guy
Quiet Professional

Lightbulb

Obama lost now, the Dems are crying foul.

Watch Obama closely when his replies are not scripted!

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:50   #21
Richard
Quiet Professional

IMHO...

Richard's $.02
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BHO Policy.jpg (18.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg BHO's Foreign Policy.jpg (65.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg The BHO Response.jpg (40.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Too Scripted.jpg (50.5 KB, 52 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 14:54   #22
Richard
Quiet Professional

My sentiments exactly...

Richard's $.02
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JMcC vs BHO.jpg (38.3 KB, 43 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 08-21-2008, 11:22   #23
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Thumbs up McCain up by 7 points now

I think the reason McCain is up in the polls now is because he did so well in the Saddleback discussion.....

My $0.02

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:12   #24
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

"The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not." TR

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Last edited by dr. mabuse; 05-17-2011 at 22:58.
dr. mabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 16:19   #25
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
When asked about abortion, Obama dodged the question, saying that answering that question was above his pay grade.
So is the next job he's seeking!

Richard's $.02
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BHO.jpg (26.2 KB, 19 views)

Old 08-21-2008, 18:56   #26
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post

Watch Obama closely when his replies are not scripted!
I can't, it's just too painful.

Seriously, he truly has a difficult time answering a non-scripted question...his lack of experience comes shining through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
So is the next job he's seeking!
Most definitely, oh the irony...
Old 08-21-2008, 19:43   #27
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
from post #11 in this thread...The irony of this statement just kills me:
Quote:
From the post above....Most definitely, oh the irony...
(in my best Diego Montoya voice)...."You keep using THAT word."

MSCP,
You wouldn't mind coming out here and ironying my uniform shrits for me, for all the fun and festivities going on next week, would you ????
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 20:11   #28
Surf n Turf
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
My sentiments exactly...

Richard's $.02
Richard,
I'm stealing the truck / training wheels .jpg

SnT

Democrats would burn down this country as long as they get to rule over the ashes

The FBI’s credibility was murdered by a sniper on Ruby Ridge; its corpse was burned to ashes outside Waco; soiled in a Delaware PC repair shop;. and buried in the basement of Mar-a-Lago..
Surf n Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:29   #29
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
A good synopsis for anyone who was unable to watch...

http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/?p=760

Analysis of the Rick Warren Presidential Forum: Passion and Conviction Versus Monotone Smooth-talker
Posted by Rachel Alexander
August 17, 2008 at 9:50 pm

McCain may have finally redeemed himself among the evangelical right. While it was clear in his facial expressions that Pastor Rick Warren preferred Obama over McCain, McCain easily outperformed Obama in his responses to issues evangelicals care about.

The first presidential forum featuring John McCain against Barack Obama took place at evangelical Pastor Rick Warren’s megachurch Saddleback. Warren, who has all but endorsed Obama, is unlike the vast majority of evangelical pastors who are conservative, signing a statement advocating for government measures to prohibit global warming and promoting U.S. funding of AIDS prevention around the world. His sermons tend to focus on the positive feel-good aspects of Christian teachings, or the “social gospel,” avoiding the inerrant truth of the Bible.

While it was clear in his facial expressions that Warren preferred Obama over McCain, McCain easily outperformed Obama in his responses to issues evangelicals care about. McCain shone, especially since he wasn’t trying to run to the middle of the electorate which Obama was doing. Obama hedged and stalled while answering the questions. McCain was so sure of his responses sometimes he interrupted Pastor Warren in answering before Warren had finished asking the questions. McCain had no hesitation asserting strong conservative positions. The format consisted of a series of identical questions selected by Warren to both candidates, without knowledge first of how the other answered. To Warren’s credit, the questions were pretty balanced, and didn’t overly favor either candidate (he wouldn’t want to risk alienating too many in his generally conservative evangelical audience).

The first question asked was which three people did each candidate consider the wisest sources they would consult during their administration. Obama said his wife, his grandmother, and several members of Congress including Ted Kennedy, one of the most liberal Democrats in the Senate. McCain’s response was a little better, although none of the people he mentioned are particularly close friends of his: General Petraeus, a military soldier named John Lewis, and the CEO of Amazon, Meg Whitman.

Warren asked both candidates what they thought was their biggest moral failure and what was the U.S.’s biggest moral failure. McCain scored points with conservatives here by acknowledging it was his first marriage. But when it came to the biggest moral failure of the U.S, he should have said it was abortion. Instead, he said not devoting ourselves to causes greater than our self-interest.

Obama kept repeating throughout the forum that he’s come to realize it’s not about himself, which was nothing more than a rip-off from Pastor Warren’s book (Obama even noted that the first line of A Purpose Driven Life is “It’s not about you”). Those words rang pretty hollow, since as it’s been pointed out numerous times throughout this campaign that Obama has made it all about him and his “change.” His remarks were clearly an attempt to deflect attention from his presidential campaign being all about promoting himself. Even when asked at the end of the debate why he wanted to be president, he said it’s because when his mom was mad at something he did, she would tell him to put himself in the shoes of someone else.

The other theme Obama kept coming back to was that we don’t do enough for the least in society. That also rang hollow because he wasn’t referring to encouraging Americans to get active in charitable work, but instead wanted them to vote to raise taxes so we can force everyone, even those who don’t want to help in this manner, to turn over their earned money to the government to then dole it out to favored groups.

Obama’s example of going against his party? He had a hard time answering this, because he has been one of the most consistently liberal members of the U.S. Senate. He came up with being against the resolution to go to war against Iraq. Well, Senate Democrats were split on this issue; 29 voted for it, and 21 voted against it, putting Obama safely within the ideological base of the party. The other issue he cited was campaign finance reform. Only 2 Democrat Senators voted against McCain-Feingold in 2002, so it’s a real stretch to say that advocating for campaign finance reform bucked the Democrat Party line. McCain had no problem listing several issues where he’s gone against the Republican Party line.

McCain scored points when he responded to a question on what issue he’s changed his mind on within the past 10 years – offshore oil drilling. “We’ve got to drill here and we’ve got to become independent of foreign oil.”

The candidates were asked what was the most gut-wrenching decision they ever made, and McCain won that round, recounting the decision he made not to be set free early when he was a prisoner of war in North Vietnam. Even though his high-ranking father could have gotten him out early, he refused, since there were others who had been in prison longer than him. It made it all the more poignant seeing him at the beginning of the forum next to Obama, unable to move his arms very high in the air as he waved to the crowd, because of the severe torture he underwent in North Vietnam.

When asked about abortion, Obama dodged the question, saying that answering that question was above his pay grade. This is doubly troubling considering Obama is raking in millions of dollars as a presidential candidate, and is paid a hefty salary as a U.S. Senator ($165,200) precisely to decide issues like the legality of abortion. That wasn’t even the most ridiculous thing he said about abortion. “I am pro-choice. I believe in Roe v. Wade and come to that conclusion not because I’m pro-abortion, but because ultimately I don’t think women make these decisions casually. They wrestle with these things in profound ways, in consultation with their pastors or spouses or their doctors and their family members.” This is not true. There are plenty of women who have abortions because they would prefer a different gender, or they think it would be “inconvenient” to have a baby at that particular time in their life. Many don’t bother consulting the father. This statement by Obama was sadly telling; he would prefer to gloss over the truth on this issue. He also claimed that abortions have gone up under President Bush, which was immediately disputed as false by major pro-life organizations. In actuality, abortions are at their lowest level in 30 years.

McCain’s response to when a baby is entitled to human rights? Unhesitatingly, “At the moment of conception. I have a 25-year prolife record in the Congress, in the Senate, and as president of the United States, I will be a prolife president and this presidency will have prolife policies. That’s my commitment, that’s my commitment to you.” His answer was impressive and John Jakubczyk from Arizona Right to Life should be credited in part with ensuring McCain’s understanding of this issue. Although McCain didn’t completely reverse himself on his support of government funding of embryonic stem cell research now that imitation adult stem cells have been developed (kudos to Pastor Warren for asking this question), he came pretty close, “I am wildly optimistic that skin cell research which is coming more and more into focus and practicability will make this debate an economic one.”

continued
Gypsy,

Great post......I missed the show.

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 18:07   #30
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
(in my best Diego Montoya voice)...."You keep using THAT word."

MSCP,
You wouldn't mind coming out here and ironying my uniform shrits for me, for all the fun and festivities going on next week, would you ????
Are you kidding me...I'd probably get arrested for bashing an Obama supporter or several.