Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2008, 09:33   #1
jkyle
Asset

Advice sought on choice between pursuing JAG and pursuing SF

Good Morning,

I am a student in law school. I am nearly certain that I will be joining the Army upon my passing the bar. I have both a passion for law and a strong desire to join your ranks.

The problem: I cannot do both simultaneously, and I desire both equally.

The resulting reality is that I must choose between applying for JAG and applying for the infamous 18x contract. That choice has many effects, both immediate and long-term. The differences in lifestyles and career paths of each a JAG officer and an enlisted SF soldier are obvious enough.

Both the profession of a military lawyer and the profession of an SF soldier are very serious. Whether it be defending a soldier facing life in prison or working in sensitive and tumultuous foreign environments, I may have the aptitude to excel in both. How should I make this choice?

I ask your opinions as you are the members of a profession I seek to join. I will seek counsel with JAG officers the moment I find a venue in which it is appropriate to do so.

In the interests of brevity, I have tried to boil down the choice with which I am confronted to what you have read above - if my situation here is insufficiently detailed, I am happy to add to it.

Please advise.

Respectfully,

Joe Kyle
jkyle is offline   Reply With Quote