Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hall of Heroes > Above and Beyond

Old 02-18-2009, 22:31   #16
Richard
Quiet Professional

RT Maine inserted 40 years ago today (19 Feb 1968) in TA Juliet-Nine, Attopeu Province, Laos. They made history and they shall not be forgotten.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein

Last edited by Richard; 02-18-2009 at 22:43.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:04   #17
Richard
Quiet Professional

Doug Glover was to replace Zab as RT Maine's 1-0 upon completion of the 19 Feb 1968 mission into JULIET-NINE.

And so it goes...

Richard's $.02

Quote:
A Wall To Lean On
Kathy McCabe, Boston Globe, 6 Sep 2009

Douglas John Glover was a Green Beret home on leave from Vietnam when he strode through the front door of his brother’s house, dressed in Army fatigues. “He was as big as life,’’ said Tom Glover, 45, a nephew who lives in Nahant. “He was tall, with dark hair and blue eyes. He looked so strong.’’

Glover - who rode horseback in the funeral procession of President John F. Kennedy - was reported missing in action in Vietnam on Feb. 19, 1968. He was 26 years old, a father-to-be whose body was never recovered.

“We were hoping he would be found,’’ Glover said quietly. “You always hope there will be some closure.’’

He found solace at The Wall That Heals
, a traveling replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington that made a four-day visit to Fraser Field in Lynn. The memorial bears the names of 58,261 servicemen and women who died in the war. The fallen - whose names are listed chronologically by date of death - include 1,335 from Massachusetts and 225 from New Hampshire.

(cont'd)

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ll_to_lean_on/
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:33   #18
akv
Area Commander

CMOH awe

The stories of Zabitosky and especially Kedenberg I keep thinking about.
I also find myself extremely humbled by the citations of Gordon and Shughart.
My apologies if I have strayed off topic here.
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:52   #19
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by akv View Post
The stories of Zabitosky and especially Kedenberg I keep thinking about.
I also find myself extremely humbled by the citations of Gordon and Shughart.
My apologies if I have strayed off topic here.
You haven't strayed off topic, however you do need to address them by their ranks or "Mr." - they've earned it.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:57   #20
akv
Area Commander

Understood, and thank you
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote